Wood Bats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Bats

Anyone care to share their personnel favorite bats?

My favorite bats, which I've only been using this year because we where forced to switch over by Baseball Canada, in Midget AAA and up I believe.

Anyways, they're:
    Brett Bat - Maple "Master" Model.
    The Old Bat Co. - Maple Magic/Marimachi Masher (Tribute to Ted Williams)

The Old Bat Co. is a place located in the Prov. where I'm from. He used to make bats for the majors awhile ago and now he has slowed down, but I've been using those bats and they feel great too me, you might want to check them out if your ever looking for a good bat. Another bat that I've heard is good are called Sam Bats, also a Bamboo bat made by Brett Bros. aswell.

Now, tell me your favorite.s

Heinie Groh's 46-oz. bottle bat.

Seriously speaking, it is good for a developing player to swing wood bats. Swinging nothing but featherweight aluminum bats leads to mechanical inefficiency, and therefore mechanical inaccuracy. The aluminum bat swinger who develops this mechanaical inefficiency often cannot make the conversion to wood bats upon reaching the pros. Rob Ellis has a good article on how swinging heavier wood bats develops mechanical efficiency and accuracy.

http://www.baseballtips.com/lostsecrets.html]http://www.baseballtips.com/lostsecrets.html[/URL]
    A swing--and a smash--and a gray streak partaking/Of ghostly manoeuvres that follow the whack;/The old earth rebounds with a quiver and quaking/And high flies the dust as he thuds on the track;/The atmosphere reels--and it isn't the comet--/There follows the blur of a phantom at play;/Then out from the reel comes the glitter of steel--/And damned be the fellow that gets in the way.                 A swing and a smash--and the far echoes quiver--/A ripping and rearing and volcanic roar;/And off streaks the Ghost with a shake and a shiver,/To hurdle red hell on the way to a score;/A cross between tidal wave, cyclone and earthquake--/Fire, wind and water all out on a lark;/Then out from the reel comes the glitter of steel,/Plus ten tons of dynamite hitched to a spark.

--Cobb, Grantland Rice

Comment

I use a fairly heavy wooden bat, either between 31-33oz which for my age is considered heavy, I've also switched a lighter bat earlier in the year when I wasn't hitting to a 29oz bat, but switched back because it had no effect, and if I can swing a 33oz bat fine, I would rather use that. Usually, if someone is throwing the heater around 85+ I will switch to the 29oz bat though.

Comment

I'm interested in these new maple bats that have become popular since ML players like Barry Bonds have sworn by them. My brother's "retired" from his baseball days now, but if he were still swinging I'm sure he'd have liked to get his hands on a maple bat.

How do you find they "handle," as compared to ash?
        A swing--and a smash--and a gray streak partaking/Of ghostly manoeuvres that follow the whack;/The old earth rebounds with a quiver and quaking/And high flies the dust as he thuds on the track;/The atmosphere reels--and it isn't the comet--/There follows the blur of a phantom at play;/Then out from the reel comes the glitter of steel--/And damned be the fellow that gets in the way.                 A swing and a smash--and the far echoes quiver--/A ripping and rearing and volcanic roar;/And off streaks the Ghost with a shake and a shiver,/To hurdle red hell on the way to a score;/A cross between tidal wave, cyclone and earthquake--/Fire, wind and water all out on a lark;/Then out from the reel comes the glitter of steel,/Plus ten tons of dynamite hitched to a spark.

--Cobb, Grantland Rice

Comment

Louisville Slugger #6
          RIP Dimebag, Mitch, John, & Grey Cat

AUXILIUM MEUM A DOMINO

Angel of Death
          Monarch to the kingdom of the dead
          Infamous butcher,
          Angel of Death

Comment

Handle? Perfect, and because the Maple wood is ALOT more durable than ASH you can make the handles smaller, which alot of people find comfortable. (Like me)

Also, you can get them laminated, which gives it a smooth feel to it, you can get a brett bat that feels just like glass almost.

Comment

The wood bats I liked the most while I played were made by a company called Glomar, which is located in Southern California. They used to send sales reps out to my team and you could have bats custom made for yourself. Great bats.

I think it's best that a young player who has a future in baseball, to learn how to use a wood bat as soon as possible. It'll help them develop proper techniques and show them how to hit with the sweet part of the bat sooner.

Comment

I still have the last H&B that I used in high school (I graduated in 1973). A 35 with a fairly thick handle (I always hit better with a thick handled bat) and a Brooks Robinson company engraved autograph on the barrell.

I loved the character of the wooden bats. Light ash, darker ash, black bats - everyone had their own preference.

I wish they would dump the aluminum bats at every level. They distort the game. On the little league team that I coach, my kids, of course, use the aluminum, but I make them swing some wood in practice. However, it's not that easy to get good quality wooden bats at local retailers anymore. One company here orders bats when requested though. One of the summer leagues here for HS age kids allows only wooden bats.

Comment

X-Bat model 73

Cherry barrell, black handle

Comment

:o I may sound like an idiot but. . .

Can anyone tell me why it is that college players don't swing a wooden bat?

I was once told that NCAA rules do not allow wooden bats, but after reviewing the Official (NCAA) Rules it seems that is not the case.

I would assume that a kid that might be looking to make it to the BIGS would be interested in showing off their stuff by using a wood bat and maybe even getting used to it (since that's what's used in all pro level leagues). The same might even apply to little leaguers out there.

Other than immediate the performance enhancement, what benefit would an aluminum bat have over a wood bat to someone seriously considering a pro career?
                    If I had only spent a tenth of the time studying Physics that I spent learning Star Wars and Baseball trivia, I would have won the Nobel Prize.

Comment

Originally posted by Allie Fox
                      :o I may sound like an idiot but. . .

Can anyone tell me why it is that college players don't swing a wooden bat?

I was once told that NCAA rules do not allow wooden bats, but after reviewing the Official (NCAA) Rules it seems that is not the case.

I would assume that a kid that might be looking to make it to the BIGS would be interested in showing off their stuff by using a wood bat and maybe even getting used to it (since that's what's used in all pro level leagues). The same might even apply to little leaguers out there.

Other than immediate the performance enhancement, what benefit would an aluminum bat have over a wood bat to someone seriously considering a pro career?
                      The cost of replacing wooden bats is far greater than aluminum bats. It's easier on the budget.
                      Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                      Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                      Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                      Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                      Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox_Fanatic
                        Handle? Perfect, and because the Maple wood is ALOT more durable than ASH you can make the handles smaller, which alot of people find comfortable. (Like me)

Also, you can get them laminated, which gives it a smooth feel to it, you can get a brett bat that feels just like glass almost.

Plus you can tap those bats and get Maple Syrup for your pancakes...mmmmm

Comment

That's pretty gross, un filtered maple syrup as well....
                          "I feel like I'm the luckiest man on the face of the planet, I might have had a bad break or two but I have an awful lot to live for, thank you."
                          -Lou Gehrig

"You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
                          - Christy Matthewson

Comment

Ash bats

I think we'll be seeing less and less ash bats in baseball. There has been a lot of logging of ash trees.
                            These days, a good ash is hard to find.
                            Last edited by Gmax; 06-15-2005, 10:05 AM. Reason: cleaned up joke

Comment

i currently use a brett bat called the bamboo dragon, made of bamboo. currently it is my personal favorite wood bat as it has a lot of pop for a woodie. and it just feels great in my hands

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X