Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which is correct when selecting a youth bat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is correct when selecting a youth bat?

I have a 7 year old that is starting coach pitch ball. He is big for his age, and am looking to get a couple of bats to use this season.

I have read somewhere to get the lightest bat....for good bat speed?

Then somewhere else get the heaviest bat that he could use while having good form.

I think the second option sounds correct, but I know the bat speed is important?

What do some of you veterans of the game think is best for this age?

Thanks

How big is your son? I also have a 7 year old who's big for his age. We've been looking for a bat for him for the last couple weeks and finally settled on one today (see this thread for more info).

The best thing you can do is let him swing as many bats as possible as many times as possible. We made three separate trips to the sporting goods store, spaced out over two weeks, before we finally settled on the "perfect" bat. Watch him closely, and listen to him - it'll be pretty clear what bats he likes and why. You feed him bats based on your price range, and let him decide which one he likes best. There are general guidelines you can go by (do a google search on "bat size") but there is no right answer. Just get him a bat he feels comfortable swinging.

Comment

Id get the smallest lightest. If its leagal even a t-ball bat. Children are still trying to find a swing. You want him controlling the bat, not the bat controlling him. At U10 half of them swing 28in, so a 27 is reasonable , and 26 is not completely crazy.
      Last edited by LAball; 03-02-2008, 05:07 PM.

Comment

my 7 yr old used a 28/19 last year as a 6yr old and is gonna use it again this year for LL. We paid less then 20.00 for it.

also Grandpa bought a big barrel for him 28/20.5 he used playing fall ball with 9/10 yr olds and he did fine with it.

I trained a 12 yr old this fall that was swinging a 29/16.5. Most LL kids will swing the lightest bat they can not relizing a little more weight will go a long ways in how hard they hit the ball. The kid left swing a 31/23.

I do agree with whatever bat they like is more important at the younger ages. My boy likes his 29/17 bat more so reluntly I will let him swing it because its more fun for him that away. I would love to keep him swinging the 28/19 for this season, but whatever bat he wants is fine.

Cally

Comment

I'd get the heaviest bat that your son can swing without losing hand speed or control of the bat. Most of the kids on my son's 7 & 8's use bats from 27 to 29 inches in length and 17 ounce to 19.5 ounces. My son swings a 29-19.5 because he is 5' tall and 90 lbs. He also swings a 29-21 Easton ProStix Y-271 wood. He has a 30-24 X-Bat Maple waiting on the wings inherited from his brother.

Comment

We ended up getting the 29/16.5. I wish you guys had posted sooner! In retrospect I feel like the 29/18 would have been a better choice, given his size and the fact that his swing was almost identical with it in the store. He was hitting the ball sharply Sunday but I felt like he was limited by the lightness of the bat. Not sure what I'm going to do about it, if anything. I tend to obsess about things like this, so I'm just going to take a step back and see how things unfold, wait until the season starts and let him try some of the team bats. I'm probably making it into a bigger deal than it is.

Comment

Thanks for the replies and help.....I have got a 28" 20 ounce and 29" 20 ounce.
              He can handle these pretty good. Since I am coaching I am going to get a few extra lighter bats for team members that I am going to test him on as well.

So let me get an opinion the faster the bat speed the better....but it would be good to have some weight to that swing as well, with good form?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bluefan89 View Post
                Thanks for the replies and help.....I have got a 28" 20 ounce and 29" 20 ounce.
                He can handle these pretty good. Since I am coaching I am going to get a few extra lighter bats for team members that I am going to test him on as well.

So let me get an opinion the faster the bat speed the better....but it would be good to have some weight to that swing as well, with good form?

Thanks
                Extra mass does help drive the ball further as long the batter can swing the extra weight with good form and minimal loss of swing velocity.

Comment

also make sure to sit on a bucket so the ball comes in flatter.

Comment

That is a good thought on the bucket....not sure how that would work here in this league.....(crazy bunch)

So do you come up after the pitch so that you might be able to get out of the way of a shot up the middle or something hit towards the pitcher?

Myself and the other coaches are well over 6' so the balls will be coming in a downward flight most likely.

What is the distance from the mound to your batters box?

Thanks

Comment

You can pitch from a knee too. From rubber to plate is 46ft, and the kid on the mound with you has to be within the mound circle. I don't know your league rules as far as how close to the rubber you'll have to be, you'll have to check that out.

Comment

I will have to give the knee a try.

Thanks, any other ideas?

Comment

I'm glad you ask.

Purchase a good youth coaching book. I like the Ripken book, although I don't agree with everything (especiallly his hitting). He has a ton of age appropriate drills and gives a lot of ideas on how to keep the kids involved. He even includes sample practice sessions to follow.

Good Luck!

Comment

It's not just the size of the kid that determines the size of the bat. If he's got a disconnected swing with lots of hands and arm movement, he'll need a lighter bat. If you can get his swing more efficient and connected, he can go significantly higher.

And, yes, pitching from one knee is the way to go for coach pitch. Get a good knee pad and be ready to roll out of the way if it comes back at you. And don't lob the ball to the kids; you're just adding an extra dimension for kids to have to incorporate into their swing analysis. Once they get used to a flat pitch, they'll get around on it okay.
                            sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

Comment

Blue, my son swings a 29/16 as an 8. I had his bat speed checked at a place that has a device and sells bats which is to me is a great tool for finding a bat solution.
                              I looked at form and speed when he swung a range of bats. His speed dropped 5 mph with a 29/17 and increased 1 mph with a 28/16. So he will use what he has for now.

I do long toss to my team on one knee, gets the ball on the the approx. plane
                              for the machine pitch at his age. My son has a knack of driving ball up the middle and hitting me in the knee. It's a motivator for him.....I wear a knee pad now.
                              Last edited by Coach C; 03-06-2008, 03:05 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X