X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jake Patterson
    replied
    Originally posted by epic View Post
    No. The teaching has been perfected. The youngsters learning now will be amazing. Doc has not worked with "the best" (Jeff?) daily for eight years. And during a great deal of that time he engaged in the futile exericse of trying to make the mechanics "look" traditional. Those days are over.
    With a graduate degree in Andragogy I would have to respectfully disagree. Teaching is never perfect. It's a process that requires constant modification and adjustments. It might be better, but never perfect.

Leave a comment:

• Go Cardinals
    replied
    Ok... I've spent 20 minutes looking for it... it is by dirtberry... he talks about how he can throw so many pitches for bp every day... anyone help me find this post!

Leave a comment:

• epic
    replied
    Originally posted by Go Cardinals View Post
    Wow... I love spark notes... almost got an A during Odyssey too... our teacher taught us how to understand everything that happens in a book or a chapter just by reading the first and last paragraphs...
    I have my students read Spark notes to know what's going on in The Odyssey before they read. But if they just read those...well, they do have difficulty with identifying the quotes involving kleos, thymos...

I look forward to seeing the quotes you find.

Leave a comment:

• epic
    replied
    Originally posted by Baseball gLove View Post
    This is about baseball and pitching, not about getting a high school or college diploma. If after 8 years your "Best Pitcher" can't master the mechnics then perhaps the mechanics are flawed.
    No. The teaching has been perfected. The youngsters learning now will be amazing. Doc has not worked with "the best" (Jeff?) daily for eight years. And during a great deal of that time he engaged in the futile exericse of trying to make the mechanics "look" traditional. Those days are over.

Leave a comment:

• Go Cardinals
    replied
    Okay-but I'm DYING to get back to my book. A student bought it for me to have over spring break. It's called Sharp Teeth and I am enthralled. Next I'm moving on to Interred With Their Bones, the some nice science fiction. ANYTHING to avoid grading those 90 essays over the four communities in the first eight books of The Odyssey.
    Wow... I love spark notes... almost got an A during Odyssey too... our teacher taught us how to understand everything that happens in a book or a chapter just by reading the first and last paragraphs... anyway, I'll add a challenging book for you. My teacher wrote it. I've never read it... I can't get past the intro (too deep). Go to Amazon and type in "Finding a Replacement for the Soul". It'll be a challenge! That's for sure.

Here's the intro (clip on read excerpt):
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0674...pt#reader-link

You want a challenge... then here it is! PM once you read it.

And for the quotes... go read, I'm going to find it tomorrow, because I'm going to have a lot of free time tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• epic
    replied
    Ok... but here I'll get some quotes... just wait till my next post...
    Okay-but I'm DYING to get back to my book. A student bought it for me to have over spring break. It's called Sharp Teeth and I am enthralled. Next I'm moving on to Interred With Their Bones, the some nice science fiction. ANYTHING to avoid grading those 90 essays over the four communities in the first eight books of The Odyssey.

Leave a comment:

• Go Cardinals
    replied
    to the OP...

Originally posted by TLO03 View Post
    hey guys could you point me in the direction of some good info on this subject. just the basics

Setpro has some good stuff... wolforth... go to pitchingcentral.com

Leave a comment:

• Go Cardinals
    replied
    This is about baseball and pitching, not about getting a high school or college diploma. If after 8 years your "Best Pitcher" can't master the mechnics then perhaps the mechanics are flawed.
    That does have a lot of merit... I'm curious, what do the "perfect" MM mechanics look like?

Leave a comment:

• Baseball gLove
    replied
    Please don't let my classroom students hear that logic...
    This is about baseball and pitching, not about getting a high school or college diploma. If after 8 years your "Best Pitcher" can't master the mechanics then perhaps the mechanics are flawed.
    Last edited by Baseball gLove; 03-17-2008, 10:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Go Cardinals
    replied
    Because they've mastered the mechanics to the degree that they don't get hurt. There are flaws (many still have those) and there are INJURIOUS flaws. Perhaps that's where the confusion arises. His pitchers have eliminated their INJURIOUS flaws.

(Thank you for clearing up the syntax and my confusion.)

I've sat at the picnic table at Doc's many mornings over the years and listened to the "discomfort reports" he takes on every pitcher on a daily basis. Doc has NEVER claimed that his pitchers don't get sore.
    Ok... but here I'll get some quotes... just wait till my next post...

Leave a comment:

• epic
    replied
    This is what I was saying... assume they never get sore arms... (which is commonly claimed... I'd get some quotes from other MM threads, but am too lazy to sift through pointless claims and pages and pages of arguing!):

Since some never get sore arms and since no one is, to my knowledge, pitching with 100% correct MM mechanics (and since they never get hurt), then why is the rest important?

Does that make sense?
    Because they've mastered the mechanics to the degree that they don't get hurt. There are flaws (many still have those) and there are INJURIOUS flaws. Perhaps that's where the confusion arises. His pitchers have eliminated their INJURIOUS flaws.

(Thank you for clearing up the syntax and my confusion.)

I've sat at the picnic table at Doc's many mornings over the years and listened to the "discomfort reports" he takes on every pitcher on a daily basis. Doc has NEVER claimed that his pitchers don't get sore.

Leave a comment:

• epic
    replied
    If the skill is difficult to master then perhaps it is not a viable one.
    Please don't let my classroom students hear that logic...

Leave a comment:

• Baseball gLove
    replied
    But you have not seen a Marshall trained pitcher in a year.

Sam does not exhibit this flaw. His prgress in the months since last July has been nothing short of phenomenal. Of course, he is an excellent student, as well as a rock of morality.
    And it IS about the student's inability to master a technique.
    If the skill is too difficult to master then perhaps it is not a viable one.
    Last edited by Baseball gLove; 03-17-2008, 10:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Go Cardinals
    replied
    No sweetie, you didn't understand. I cannot follow your syntax. I got past "than" when you ment "then," but it still makes no sense to me...
    This is what I was saying... assume they never get sore arms... (which is commonly claimed... I'd get some quotes from other MM threads, but am too lazy to sift through pointless claims and pages and pages of arguing!):

Since some never get sore arms and since no one is, to my knowledge, pitching with 100% correct MM mechanics (and since they never get hurt), then why is the rest important?

Does that make sense?

Leave a comment:

• epic
    replied
    The second part relied on the first part being correct...
    . I cannot follow your syntax. I got past "than" when you ment "then," but it still makes no sense to me...
    Last edited by Jake Patterson; 03-18-2008, 07:27 AM.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X