Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little League bat letter

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Little League bat letter

    I just got this from LLB. Most of you know that I hate metal bats and that I believe that the $400 variety with the "trampoline" effect pose some serious safety issues. One thing all of us agree on is that this issue should not be decided by politicians. This letter and the website it advertises strike me as odd in tone. If I didn't know any better I'd think it was sponsored by Easton, Demarini, Louisville Slugger, etc. These are the orgs with the real stake in the discussion. Just thought I'd pass it along.

    March 11, 2008
    Dear Virginia Little League Volunteer:

    I am writing you today due to a very serious situation involving Little League Baseball in Virginia.

    In case you haven’t heard, the New York City Council voted to ban the use of aluminum bats for all high school games played in the City. Now, similar legislation could find its way to Virginia – legislation that would ban all non-wood bats from being used in all Little League games throughout the state.

    At Little League, nothing is more important to us than child safety and I can report to you that a ban on aluminum bats is not necessary. It will harm our game and make it less enjoyable for the millions of children who safely play the game today, just as it has been safely played for the last forty years.

    Unfortunately this ban is also going to cost a lot of money to youth baseball programs. Money that could be spent for educational purposes, will now go to fund the cost of re-supplying broken wood bats for a game that is already considered safe. In addition to the higher costs, we know that wood bats break, shatter and splinter, which introduces other risks to the game.

    Little League Baseball has joined a coalition of parents, coaches and bat makers to oppose this unnecessary ban.

    The Coalition is named “Don’t Take My Bat Away” and I urge you to join.

    Please log onto their website, www.DTMBA.com, and carefully review the facts and the science behind Little League’s decision to support the safe use of both wood and aluminum bats.

    I’m proud that Little League has led the way in developing batting helmets, the modern catcher’s chest protector, helmet and mask. We banned head first sliding for safety reasons and we also abolished the on-deck circle ten years ago. Just this year, we implemented a pitch count to protect our players’ young arms.

    If there was a safety-driven reason to ban aluminum bats, we would support it. There isn’t and that’s why I urge you to get involved.

    Please log onto www.DTMBA.com and join our growing coalition.

    Sincerely,

    Steve Keener
    P.S. There is a very real chance we could see a bat ban bill in Virginia soon. Please consider logging onto the Don’t Take My Bat Away Coalition’s webpage (DTMBA.com) and join Little League, Babe Ruth Baseball, PONY League, American Softball Association, American Legion Baseball, American Baseball Coaches Association, National Council of Youth Sports, the National High School Baseball Coaches Association, and many other groups that have studied this issue - so we can work together to fight a potential ban.

  • #2
    Jim,
    I would have to respectfully offer that the letter reeks of BS. Keener and the Little League should be ashamed of themselves with respect to the training they offer and the work they have done on metal bats and the effects it has had on the game. To constantly bring up the cost of the bats because of 6-12 year olds generating enough power to be breaking numerous bats is ridiculous and demonstrates their willfull ignorance in this topic.
    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
    - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
      Jim,
      I would have to respectfully offer that the letter reeks of BS. Keener and the Little League should be ashamed of themselves with respect to the training they offer and the work they have done on metal bats and the effects it has had on the game. To constantly bring up the cost of the bats because of 6-12 year olds generating enough power to be breaking numerous bats is ridiculous and demonstrates their willful ignorance in this topic.
      ALSO!!! To put the American Legion on their site as part of the coalition is an out and out lie! Here is just one of hundreds of articles and information that is available http://www.kccommunitynews.com/artic...eball.wood.txt

      I am on the CT State American Legion Commission and trust me this IS a topic and for every person who is working to keep metal bats there is an equal number in AL working hard to eliminate them. AL WILL go back to wood at some point.
      "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
      - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks, Jake. If I knew of an effective way to counter this lobby I would but the fact of the matter is that when the general public sees the Little League trademark, they are going to assume that "trampoline metal" bats are fine. Again, let me reinterate, the leagues not the politicians should work on this. The letter and the website are so one-sided that it appears that there are other interests at work. jima

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jima View Post
          Thanks, Jake. If I knew of an effective way to counter this lobby I would but the fact of the matter is that when the general public sees the Little League trademark, they are going to assume that "trampoline metal" bats are fine. Again, let me reinterate, the leagues not the politicians should work on this. The letter and the website are so one-sided that it appears that there are other interests at work. jima
          There are!!! The bat manufacturers!
          "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
          - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
            AL WILL go back to wood at some point.
            They just started a Legion Junior league in our region that is wood bat only. I think youth baseball in general is moving in that direction. I don't know who Steve Keener is, but I'm suspicious about his suggestion that LL endorses his cause. In a quick visit to littleleague.org this is the only statement I could find of their position on wood vs. metal:

            http://www.littleleague.org/media/bats.asp

            They appear to be saying their minds are open on the subject, and if studies show metal bats are more dangerous than wood bats, they would act accordingly.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by bbjunkie View Post
              They just started a Legion Junior league in our region that is wood bat only. I think youth baseball in general is moving in that direction. I don't know who Steve Keener is, but I'm suspicious about his suggestion that LL endorses his cause. In a quick visit to littleleague.org this is the only statement I could find of their position on wood vs. metal:

              http://www.littleleague.org/media/bats.asp

              They appear to be saying their minds are open on the subject, and if studies show metal bats are more dangerous than wood bats, they would act accordingly.
              Little League will change away from the dangerous bats when someone sues them. There is plenty of proof out there what they support is bad.
              "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
              - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

              Comment


              • #8
                Pls take a look at this LLB site page for more info...it even provides Mr Keener's bio...sounds like he's more of a "sound bite" guy. Great hire LL.

                http://www.littleleague.org/media/Bats_Media_kit.asp

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by skipper5
                  Jima: "....the website it [Little League] advertises strike me as odd in tone. If I didn't know any better I'd think it was sponsored by Easton, Demarini, Louisville Slugger, etc.."

                  Bingo.

                  According to a Sport. Gds. Manu. Assoc press release, "SGMA has joined a recently-formed coalition..."
                  http://www.sgma.com/displayindustrya...ticlenbr=33851

                  But according to PR News,
                  "The Herald Group developed the Web site and is managing grassroots outreach for the coalition, while Duffy Public Relations Strategies is providing strategic communications and media relations.... Its founder Trent Duffy is serving as chief spokesman....
                  The Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association is a prime backer of DTMBA, but Duffy said the group is not just an industry coalition..."
                  http://www.prweekus.com/DTMBA-unveil...article/57302/

                  The SGMA bills itself as "The Voice of the Industry on Capitol Hill."
                  I just don't understand why there isn't a greater outcry.
                  "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                  - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                  Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I am a dad and would love to see them go back to wood!!!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by randy View Post
                      I am a dad and would love to see them go back to wood!!!
                      Randy,
                      I believe that would be the consensus from those parents who really understand the game. I feel the need to succeed (during the short term) has many parents blinded. Maybe it's part of our instant gratification mentality we have developed as a society.
                      Jake
                      "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                      - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
                        Randy,
                        I believe that would be the consensus from those parents who really understand the game. I feel the need to succeed (during the short term) has many parents blinded. Maybe it's part of our instant gratification mentality we have developed as a society.
                        Jake
                        The problem with wood bats is the drop.

                        Many kids simply aren't strong enough to swing a -3 bat of the appropriate length. If you force everyone to go to wood, you will exclude some kids from the game.

                        That's why I think we need to focus on HIGH PERFORMANCE aluminum bats, not all aluminum bats.

                        Of course, high performance bats are INSANELY profitable, which is why the bat manufacturers will never stop making them on their own. This is a swag, but I'd be willing to bet that the margin for a Wal-Mart Aluminum bat is probably something like 30% but the margin for a high performance aluminum bat is probably MUCH higher. Maybe in the order of 60 to 75%. High Performance bats are better, but not that much better.
                        Hitting Coordinator for Harris-Stowe State University in St. Louis.

                        I also work with the pitchers who are dealing with injury problems.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
                          The problem with wood bats is the drop.

                          Many kids simply aren't strong enough to swing a -3 bat of the appropriate length. If you force everyone to go to wood, you will exclude some kids from the game.

                          That's why I think we need to focus on HIGH PERFORMANCE aluminum bats, not all aluminum bats.

                          Of course, high performance bats are INSANELY profitable, which is why the bat manufacturers will never stop making them on their own. This is a swag, but I'd be willing to bet that the margin for a Wal-Mart Aluminum bat is probably something like 30% but the margin for a high performance aluminum bat is probably MUCH higher. Maybe in the order of 60 to 75%. High Performance bats are better, but not that much better.
                          I have no problem with reasonable (-5, -7)drops at the younger ages (5-10)
                          The problem really develops when the players are using these HP bats (-10)at 11 and up. They have to deal with a -3 at MS no matter what they do.
                          "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                          - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
                            I have no problem with reasonable (-5, -7)drops at the younger ages (5-10)
                            The problem really develops when the players are using these HP bats (-10)at 11 and up. They have to deal with a -3 at MS no matter what they do.
                            I agree.

                            The league we play in uses -9 for 5th and 6th grade and -5 for 7th and 8th grade.

                            -5 is kind of hard to find, but I think it makes sense.
                            Hitting Coordinator for Harris-Stowe State University in St. Louis.

                            I also work with the pitchers who are dealing with injury problems.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              We had a very scary moment at our last game. Our pitcher was facing their 3 hitter, who had the newest exo (newer than the red). He hit the ball right at him, and our pitcher just barely got the glove up in time. It was very scary.

                              I just said to myself... man, we have got to get rid of these metal bats asap.

                              The game will be better with wood.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X