Infield fly rule has a hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infield fly rule has a hole

Hi everybody, first off, theres no forum for umpires and rules?

I've umpired for seven years, all the way up to the high school level, and I've had to call the infield fly rule a couple times a season. I guess cuz of its low rate of occurrence, not all of the umps I worked with truly understood the rule. Major League Baseball states that "An INFIELD FLY is a fair fly ball (not including a line drive nor an attempted bunt) which can be caught by an infielder with ordinary effort, when first and second, or first, second and third bases are occupied, before two are out." (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info...on_terms_2.jsp)

So then, the purpose of this rule is to ensure that an infielder doesn't get a cheap and easy double play by letting the ball drop if the runner stays on base or catches it if the runner takes off. BUT, what about when there's a runner on first only with less than two out? There's a force at second, and the infielder can screw the runner over by dropping/catching the ball depending on what the runner does. Yet the IF rule does not apply here. I demand this rule be changed!!

Thank you all and I look forward to all your responses. oh yeah, im new here, hi!

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X