Dealing With Problem Coaches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
    I agree that this approach works if the coach tells you to do something...

1. But doesn't check to see if you are actually doing it.
    2. Is simply happy with the results.

But what do you do if the coach tells you to do something (stupid) and then checks to make sure you are actually doing that (stupid) thing?

The coach of the guy I am working with looks at videos and stills and, when he sees a player tilting over the plate (which we know is good), gets all over him and tells him that he needs to level out his swing.

In other words, what do you do with a coach who insists on fixing something that clearly isn't broken because he thinks that your swing won't scale (when in truth it's his ideas that won't scale).

If he does look at video of his players, it might help to show him video of pros doing things like tilting over the plate.
    Tell the player to tell the coach that he is working on it. Just don't tell him what

drill
    Yogi Berra was asked by a reporter "How do you catch a knuckle ball?" He came right back and said "When it stops rolling"

Comment

Originally posted by Drill View Post
      Tell the player to tell the coach that he is working on it. Just don't tell him what

drill
      That's what I do... after every at-bat or swing in BP I go up to the coach and say, "is that better?" He says some answer... maybe it is, or maybe it isn't... He's says... "Yeah some of them..."

At first... then I realized it was good advice, so I listened... nice guy...

Comment

Most of my knowledge I have picked up on this site over the years. My son's coach go's on and on about rotational hitting. Then he spends 30 minutes talking about " squishing the bug" To the average parent what makes this the wrong thing to do? Also is it wrong to use bit's from two different types of swing's? For the most part he leaves my kid alone because all of you helped me fix his swing last year, but I have always wondered about the deeper issue of the bug squishing! Any insight would be nice!

Comment

Originally posted by bbb3601 View Post
          Most of my knowledge I have picked up on this site over the years. My son's coach go's on and on about rotational hitting. Then he spends 30 minutes talking about " squishing the bug" To the average parent what makes this the wrong thing to do? Also is it wrong to use bit's from two different types of swing's? For the most part he leaves my kid alone because all of you helped me fix his swing last year, but I have always wondered about the deeper issue of the bug squishing! Any insight would be nice!
          Squishing the bug is better than a dead lower half, but it limits the force with which your hips can rotate.
          Hitting Coordinator for Harris-Stowe State University in St. Louis.

I also work with the pitchers who are dealing with injury problems.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X