10 yo swing for analysis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 yo swing for analysis

Looking for some feedback on my friend's son's swing.

Seems to have some timing problems from time to time, and just seems to lack power at contact.

Would love to get some thoughts from the members here. I've enjoyed reading here for sometime, and have learned quite a bit.

He appears to have a lot of forward momentum in his stride, but not much load. I see some bat drag present, and a few swings it looks like he loses some power as he flexes his front knee. I like his his lower body action at foot plant, but he loses some connection as his swing comes through. I'm not sure about his swing plane either. If you look near contact he seems to have a pronounced downward pull as he tilts sideways over the plate.

Would love to hear some thoughts on what you think is an easy place to start.

He starts off with a -9 bat, and then moves to a -13 (both 29") at 1:30.

Sorry for the youtube clip, but I don't have any space to host anything, and am still learning the ropes converting video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15yVZwezR0Y

Originally posted by my3boys View Post
    Looking for some feedback on my friend's son's swing.

Seems to have some timing problems from time to time, and just seems to lack power at contact.

Would love to get some thoughts from the members here. I've enjoyed reading here for sometime, and have learned quite a bit.

He appears to have a lot of forward momentum in his stride, but not much load. I see some bat drag present, and a few swings it looks like he loses some power as he flexes his front knee. I like his his lower body action at foot plant, but he loses some connection as his swing comes through. I'm not sure about his swing plane either. If you look near contact he seems to have a pronounced downward pull as he tilts sideways over the plate.

Would love to hear some thoughts on what you think is an easy place to start.

He starts off with a -9 bat, and then moves to a -13 (both 29") at 1:30.

Sorry for the youtube clip, but I don't have any space to host anything, and am still learning the ropes converting video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15yVZwezR0Y
    I feel your analysis is good. If it were me... I would start with fixing the swing plane and his one-hand finish.
    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
    - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
      I feel your analysis is good. If it were me... I would start with fixing the swing plane and his one-hand finish.
      Really? Wow, I'm actually starting to know what I'm talking about! Well, I guess that's the easy part.. now the hard part. How? Where do you think the swing plane starts to go wrong?

I see him starting with the bat wrapped around his head, and as he begins to launch his hands stay at his rear shoulder. I think this starts his downward plane, then near contact his hands are thrown forward and his swing finishes low.

Do you think starting with a more vertical bat at launch helps? His bat drag is more pronounced in some clips than others.. I think if he started his hands forward more and tried to get the barrel of the bat closer to his shoulder it may help get his swing in a better direction. Am I thinking right?

Comment

Well, you could get him a huge bat and have him make this move:

Then his swing will look like this:

If you do this, he will hit .400 and make it to the big show when he's a little older.......

Just tell em Tom and Rich sent you when the agent calls back........

Really? Wow, I'm actually starting to know what I'm talking about! Well, I guess that's the easy part.. now the hard part. How? Where do you think the swing plane starts to go wrong?

I see him starting with the bat wrapped around his head, and as he begins to launch his hands stay at his rear shoulder. I think this starts his downward plane, then near contact his hands are thrown forward and his swing finishes low.

Do you think starting with a more vertical bat at launch helps? His bat drag is more pronounced in some clips than others.. I think if he started his hands forward more and tried to get the barrel of the bat closer to his shoulder it may help get his swing in a better direction. Am I thinking right?

Comment

Ok seriously, the kids got a great swing. I see ZERO drag in the slo-mo's. His rear elbow and hands connect well and the elbow never gets ahead of his hands.........

Get him to hit some fly balls and his plane will change on its own.......

Comment

A picture is worth a thousand words, a vid maybe a couple thousands! Thanks bm... I think we'll pass on the 40oz bat for now!

Originally posted by BoardMember View Post

If you do this, he will hit .400 and make it to the big show when he's a little older.......

Comment

Ok seriously, the kids got a great swing. I see ZERO drag in the slo-mo's. His rear elbow and hands connect well and the elbow never gets ahead of his hands.........

Get him to hit some fly balls and his plane will change on its own.......
              You're right, looking closer his elbow stays near his rear hip. Their may be one clip where it leads some, but it looks like the exception.

I like the cue to just hit some fly balls... simple is good!

What do you think is causing the twist in his waist and resulting lean over the plate? Is that not really a big deal? Or do you think a better swing plane changes that?
              Last edited by my3boys; 03-22-2008, 05:37 PM.

Comment

The twist/lean over the plate is his attempt to get his head behind the contact point. This is very good.

He could start in a little better athletic position with a little more tilt at the waist at address. (chin over belt buckle)

Then when he rotates he'll end up like that natually. Here' Lee simply "hititng a fly ball". Notice his starting posture, and finish:

I wouldn't tweak much with this kid, he looks pretty natural to me......

Just show him this clip and tell him you want him to "launch a few"......

You're right, looking closer his elbow stays near his rear hip. Their may be one clip where it leads some, but it looks like the exception.

I like the cue to just hit some fly balls... simple is good!

What do you think is causing the twist in his waist and resulting lean over the plate? Is that not really a big deal? Or do you think a better swing plane changes that?

Comment

So you agree that Richard and Ted are doing the same thing? Jbooth might have a problem with that.

Comment

Sorry, while they may look somewhat alike, they definately AREN'T doing the same thing.........

My sarcasm fell on your deaf ear I guess........

Originally posted by XV84 View Post
                    So you agree that Richard and Ted are doing the same thing? Jbooth might have a problem with that.

Comment

I now see your humor after reading some through the 'theory and physics' thread. Caught me off guard at first!

Comment

I would have him hold the bat more up right. the way he is laying the bat almost parallel to the ground makes the bat heavier than it is. He may even finish better. He will have faster bat speed if he improves in this area.

I have seen hitters move there heads but as long as his head stops moving before he hits the ball is OK, as far as I am concerned. But you don't want to get into the slide habit of moving your head while hitting the ball(point of contact), because it is a power leak if you don't know what you are doing.

have fun,

drill
                        Yogi Berra was asked by a reporter "How do you catch a knuckle ball?" He came right back and said "When it stops rolling"

Comment

Where do you think the swing plane starts to go wrong?
                          Before he even swings. He has the same problem as your son. He needs to get the bathead up above his head and lower the front elbow, then rotate the bat into the ball. You can't let the bathead get horizontal BEFORE you move the bathead. It flattens as you swing, not before.

Do you think starting with a more vertical bat at launch helps?
                          Absolutely.

I think if he started his hands forward more and tried to get the barrel of the bat closer to his shoulder it may help get his swing in a better direction. Am I thinking right?

Sorry, but no. Get the front elbow down more and the bathead up, then reverse the elbows while rotating.

Comment

Originally posted by XV84 View Post
                            Not even close to the same thing. Look at how much Ted's front elbow moves. It starts way low and raises by extending his upper arm out away from his body. He is directing the knob up with his front elbow to hit the ball in the air. There is no pronation of his front forearm.

Comment

Originally posted by jbooth View Post
                              Not even close to the same thing. Look at how much Ted's front elbow moves. It starts way low and raises by extending his upper arm out away from his body. He is directing the knob up with his front elbow to hit the ball in the air. There is no pronation of his front forearm.
                              Check swing vs real swing...

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X