Hitting Slump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitting Slump

The season just started, and I'm in a kind of hitting slump. My hitting in practice is great, mechanics are all fine, everything's great. But in scrimmages and games I just freeze up and strike out or ground out. If anybody has any pointers please help.
    Hico Tigers
    Redneck Pride

Originally posted by tiger50
    The season just started, and I'm in a kind of hitting slump. My hitting in practice is great, mechanics are all fine, everything's great. But in scrimmages and games I just freeze up and strike out or ground out. If anybody has any pointers please help.
    Don't freeze up...Take 2-3 Deep breaths before each pitch. Find a focal point on the field and "think" about hitting a lazer over the shorstops head. Then get in the box, and hit.

Comment

Originally posted by hiddengem
      Don't freeze up...Take 2-3 Deep breaths before each pitch. Find a focal point on the field and "think" about hitting a lazer over the shorstops head. Then get in the box, and hit.
      Or if it's a lefty, think about drilling the pitcher in the head

Deep breaths is a good idea, especially for a youngster.

The problem with hitting is that it can become SO MENTAL, that it affects your reaction time/decision making/performance. The more you start to think about what you're doing wrong, the more you'll think about what you're doing wrong, and you'll do even worse. You want to just be able to go up there and react.

Tiger, I would suggest that pay more attention to your pitch selection. The worst thing you can do in a slump is put even more pressure on yourself to get out of that slump. You'll start swinging at pitches you normally shouldn't, you'll tend to think you need to swing "hard" rather than "quick', you'll pull off certain pitches that you should sit back on and go the other way.

Basically just know yourself as a hitter. Know what pitches you handle the best.

btw: Where are these groundouts you're hitting going? Are you hitting the ball hard when you ground out?
      Last edited by Sultan_1895-1948; 03-03-2006, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X