Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on teaching sliding

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Question on teaching sliding

    Hello All,

    First I'd like to tell you all how helpfull your forum has been. I found it a couple of weeks ago and have been absoribing the information since. I am a Manager of a AA little league team (2nd year) and have a question on sliding.

    The basic question is what leg is "slid" on?

    The reason I ask is that I plan on teaching the figure 4 slid to my players (8-9 year olds) I should have last year but realize it after the fact. I always thought the proper way to slide was the following, assuming a right handed slider:

    Figure 4 is created by left leg tucking under the right ankle strong under right leg knee. The right leg is Kept "loose" and is used as a "fulcrom" at the base (later for popup plant). The "fall" is to the buttock side left (tucked leg side thigh on ground) with further support on left leg lower leg. Thus the right handed runner would be "leaning" to the infield straight leg on the outfield side.

    But some videos that I'm seeing has the runner strong on the right leg buttock lower thigh. This doesn't make sense to me. Am I missing something?

  • #2
    Originally posted by Whiney Wright View Post
    The basic question is what leg is "slid" on?

    The reason I ask is that I plan on teaching the figure 4 slid to my players (8-9 year olds) I should have last year but realize it after the fact. I always thought the proper way to slide was the following, assuming a right handed slider:

    Figure 4 is created by left leg tucking under the right ankle strong under right leg knee. The right leg is Kept "loose" and is used as a "fulcrom" at the base (later for popup plant). The "fall" is to the buttock side left (tucked leg side thigh on ground) with further support on left leg lower leg. Thus the right handed runner would be "leaning" to the infield straight leg on the outfield side.

    But some videos that I'm seeing has the runner strong on the right leg buttock lower thigh. This doesn't make sense to me. Am I missing something?
    I think you have a good start for this age group. I wouldn't get too hung up on which leg. I use the left-leg tuck because with kids it's easier to see a throw from home to 2nd or 3rd.
    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
    - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks for the response,

      I'm not necessarilly hung up on the right left thing. I'm more concerned with what Buttock, thigh, forleg you "lean" on wheather your right or left. I am using a right handed slider just to simplify.

      So for a right handed slider the "fall" should be to the left buttock left thigh left foreleg which is tucked under the loose right leg?

      Whiney

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Whiney Wright View Post
        Thanks for the response,

        I'm not necessarilly hung up on the right left thing. I'm more concerned with what Buttock, thigh, forleg you "lean" on wheather your right or left. I am using a right handed slider just to simplify.

        So for a right handed slider the "fall" should be to the left buttock left thigh left foreleg which is tucked under the loose right leg?

        Whiney
        Yes .
        "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
        - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
        Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks,

          I thought that was right, but the "videos" I saw showed the opposite. Thus my confusion. You folks here are a great store of knowledge.

          I'm planning on moving more to the station practice model and I thought a slide station would be a good choice. After last year I had all my players running to a "stop" on second base - not by practice, more a lack there of. I focused 100% on running "through" first and neglected sliding to second (though with the second baseman and shortstop occupiing the base I guess I could have argued obstruction - but I don't condone arguing with the 12 year old umps LOL). Anyway, I want to correct that this year.

          Whiney

          Comment


          • #6
            Whiney,

            Have your runners slide on both cheeks of their buttocks. I guarantee if they go in on one cheek, they will get "strawberries". The weight will be evenly distributed and not on a bony part of the seat. Also, have them invest in some sliding shorts to wear under their pants.

            Comment


            • #7
              I was going to suggest the slidding shorts to the parents at the parent coaches meeting. I thought, though that sliding was a "side" thing and both buttocks were not used. I can teach the "fall" to use both, but is that the "propper" method? Or is it a fall to both buttocks but shift to the bent buttock leg for the slide?

              I guess I'm looking for a really in depth process of what happens. Video that I have seen is very contradictory. My method would be to sit and "slide" on the bent leg of the 4. Pop up on the "loose" straight leg.

              Whiney.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Whiney Wright View Post
                I was going to suggest the slidding shorts to the parents at the parent coaches meeting. I thought, though that sliding was a "side" thing and both buttocks were not used. I can teach the "fall" to use both, but is that the "propper" method? Or is it a fall to both buttocks but shift to the bent buttock leg for the slide?

                I guess I'm looking for a really in depth process of what happens. Video that I have seen is very contradictory. My method would be to sit and "slide" on the bent leg of the 4. Pop up on the "loose" straight leg.

                Whiney.
                Believe me when I say slide on both cheeks and throw both arms over the head. The lead foot should be slightly raised and the runner's momentum should elevate them when they hit the base with this foot. Do not slide too far from the base, but not too close (about five feet max). See if this helps. Sliding on the old hip bone can be quite painful.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Steven Tyler View Post
                  Sliding on the old hip bone can be quite painful.
                  To slide properly you should be teaching the runners to absorb the slide on the bottom of the outside of the left calf up through the thigh and onto the bottom of the left cheek. I encourage the kids to wear sliding pants. This makes it fun and doesn't hurt as nuch. A good set is only $10-$15. Sliding pads, wet grass, cardboard, etc., makes it more fun. I use a sliding mat.

                  Jake
                  "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                  - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                  Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Again, Thanks for the replys! Very helpfull.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      There are sliding shorts available that have a front pocket for a cup.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I also recommend knee pads, especially if the dirt is hard.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by LAball View Post
                          I also recommend knee pads, especially if the dirt is hard.
                          How about a suit of armor?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
                            Sliding pads, wet grass, cardboard, etc., makes it more fun. I use a sliding mat.
                            I've seen coaches teaching kids to slide down the grassy hill behind our backstop. Seems like a good way to introduce younger kids to the slide.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                              I've seen coaches teaching kids to slide down the grassy hill behind our backstop. Seems like a good way to introduce younger kids to the slide.

                              Makes sense.
                              "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                              - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X