Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Correct Bat Length for my son

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Correct Bat Length for my son

    My son has just started in our Babe Ruth League (13-15 years old). He is 5'3", and about 100#. He had been using a 31" -9 in LL, and a 31" -10 in U12 AAU. He is still be playing in AAU this year, and they have no restrictions on bats.
    His new coach insists that he use no bigger than a 30" bat (?maybe for better control?, or lighter weight is it was a -3?), so I picked him up a new bat to use for the year that is 30" (-5). I bought him a heavier bat to start to progress him towards using a -3. Babe Ruth has no restrictions for weight during the year, but when he plays in the Lou Tompkins summer league he will have to use a -3 (High School is -3)
    Based on most of the charts, kids can move to a 31" bat when they get over 5'.
    Do you guys think it is ok for him to use a 30" bat?

  • #2
    Originally posted by slugger3 View Post
    Based on most of the charts, kids can move to a 31" bat when they get over 5'. Do you guys think it is ok for him to use a 30" bat?
    Most of my 13YOs are using 30/25's.
    Hitting Coordinator for Harris-Stowe State University in St. Louis.

    I also work with the pitchers who are dealing with injury problems.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by slugger3 View Post
      My son has just started in our Babe Ruth League (13-15 years old). He is 5'3", and about 100#. He had been using a 31" -9 in LL, and a 31" -10 in U12 AAU. He is still be playing in AAU this year, and they have no restrictions on bats.
      His new coach insists that he use no bigger than a 30" bat (?maybe for better control?, or lighter weight is it was a -3?), so I picked him up a new bat to use for the year that is 30" (-5). I bought him a heavier bat to start to progress him towards using a -3. Babe Ruth has no restrictions for weight during the year, but when he plays in the Lou Tompkins summer league he will have to use a -3 (High School is -3)
      Based on most of the charts, kids can move to a 31" bat when they get over 5'.
      Do you guys think it is ok for him to use a 30" bat?
      At this age if he plans on playing Legion or HS he will have to move to a -3 bat. For his size and weight a 30/27 sounds reasonable. I am stronly against using high drop bats at this age, not matter what they age. Many players get fooled with short term success using high drop bats and then struggle when they are forced to meet NFHS bat regulations. I can't tell you how many conversations I have had with parents wanting to know why Jr. went from .700 in LL (Usually an average that is calculated wrong) to .190 when he hits MS.
      "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
      - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
        At this age if he plans on playing Legion or HS he will have to move to a -3 bat. For his size and weight a 30/27 sounds reasonable. I am stronly against using high drop bats at this age, not matter what they age. Many players get fooled with short term success using high drop bats and then struggle when they are forced to meet NFHS bat regulations. I can't tell you how many conversations I have had with parents wanting to know why Jr. went from .700 in LL (Usually an average that is calculated wrong) to .190 when he hits MS.
        Jake,

        I understand were you are coming from, but most of the bigger bat manufactures I checked (ie.louisville, easton, demarini) do not make -3 bats at a length less than 31".-so if my son is stuck with his coach limiting him to a 30" length, he has to use a -5.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by slugger3 View Post
          Jake,

          I understand were you are coming from, but most of the bigger bat manufactures I checked (ie.louisville, easton, demarini) do not make -3 bats at a length less than 31".-so if my son is stuck with his coach limiting him to a 30" length, he has to use a -5.
          You could try wood. Zinger makes a -3 and -4.
          "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
          - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

          Comment


          • #6
            My 13U travel players were using 32/29's and 31/28's in 13U. They were required to use a -3 in middle school, so we kept them using the -3's in travel. We were more interested in development than winning. We only finished 6th in the state. My son was 5'2", 105. he swung a 32/29. Nike makes a 30/27. You can find them on Ebay for bid or "buy it now."

            Comment

            Ad Widget

            Collapse
            Working...
            X