Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you cock your hips as you stride? (ted wiliams)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How do you cock your hips as you stride? (ted wiliams)

    I ted williams book "the science of hitting" Ted mentions "cocking your hips AS you stride" but i cant get a really clear picture in my head as to do that. Could someone please explain to me of show me a good clip of a pro doing it? Thanks

  • #2
    My own signature is not impressive, so I selected one that was...
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by baseballplaya92 View Post
      I ted williams book "the science of hitting" Ted mentions "cocking your hips AS you stride" but i cant get a really clear picture in my head as to do that. Could someone please explain to me of show me a good clip of a pro doing it? Thanks
      This might be better understood as unocking, or opening, the hips during the weight shift. The ideas is that the hips open before the shoulders do.

      IMO you cock your hips during your load and then uncock/open them during the weight shift and stride.
      Hitting Coordinator for Harris-Stowe State University in St. Louis.

      I also work with the pitchers who are dealing with injury problems.

      Comment


      • #4
        so he really means uncock your hips as you stride??

        Comment


        • #5
          The first post quoted Ted correctly.

          Another spot in the book with a graphic above it is quoted "Cocking hips (large arrow), so essential to the golf swing but never articulated in baseball, is at the root of batting power. It occurs in unison with the beginning of the stride, the lead knee (arrow) turning in to facilitate rotation of the hips and shoulders. Note that hands are also cocked".

          Chris, the question was about what Ted said in his book, not what you think about the swing in general.
          Last edited by chesspirate; 03-29-2008, 07:31 AM.
          "Do not dismiss what you do not understand"
          "A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice." - Bill Cosby
          "There are sound intellectual grounds for holding faith positions" - Fungo 22

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks for clearing that up chesspirate. I just dont see how you do it AS you stride.. you know what i mean?

            Comment


            • #7
              Well, here's a guy that does this to some degree,

              His hips are 'cocking' as he moves forward, sorta during his stride.

              keep looking at that williams clip as well.
              "Do not dismiss what you do not understand"
              "A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice." - Bill Cosby
              "There are sound intellectual grounds for holding faith positions" - Fungo 22

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by chesspirate View Post
                Chris, the question was about what Ted said in his book, not what you think about the swing in general.
                My point is that I think the terminology Ted uses is a bit confusing (if not backwards).

                You cock a gun in preparation to firing it. You don't cock it to fire it.

                Similarly, IMO you cock (load) the hips and then fire the hips.
                Hitting Coordinator for Harris-Stowe State University in St. Louis.

                I also work with the pitchers who are dealing with injury problems.

                Comment


                • #9
                  What is so confusing about cocking the hips as you stride? What's backwards? And to suggest that the greatest hitter ever to walk the face of the earth was wrong/backwards about something he said was "so important to get that right" is kinda funny.

                  You cock a gun in preparation to firing it. You don't cock it to fire it.
                  Talk about confusing, sounds like you are saying the same thing twice.

                  IMO you cock (load) the hips and then fire the hips.
                  I'm sorry, if that's what you think, then what is the problem?! Ted said to cock them as you stride, still sounds like he's 'cocking' before 'firing'
                  "Do not dismiss what you do not understand"
                  "A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice." - Bill Cosby
                  "There are sound intellectual grounds for holding faith positions" - Fungo 22

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by chesspirate View Post
                    Well, here's a guy that does this to some degree,

                    His hips are 'cocking' as he moves forward, sorta during his stride.

                    keep looking at that williams clip as well.
                    This is what I teach. Front foot goes forward with a heel lead keeping the hips loaded as long as possible...
                    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                    - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I agree with Chess Pirate and, of course, St. Ted. It's pretty advanced, but you can load/cock while you stride. I teach it to our really top hitters, but I can't say they really get it.

                      Here's a short clip of Miguel Cabrera doing it rather subtly (watch the inside of his left thigh); it's one of my favorite swing clips. I can't animate this for some reason, so you'll have to download it; it's only 267KB.

                      http://s95294420.onlinehome.us/userfiles/cabrera2.mov
                      sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Ursa Major View Post
                        I agree with Chess Pirate and, of course, St. Ted. It's pretty advanced, but you can load/cock while you stride. I teach it to our really top hitters, but I can't say they really get it.

                        Here's a short clip of Miguel Cabrera doing it rather subtly (watch the inside of his left thigh); it's one of my favorite swing clips. I can't animate this for some reason, so you'll have to download it; it's only 267KB.

                        http://s95294420.onlinehome.us/userfiles/cabrera2.mov
                        It gives me "page not found." Did you spell it correctly?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          in the meantime, how about this.

                          "Do not dismiss what you do not understand"
                          "A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice." - Bill Cosby
                          "There are sound intellectual grounds for holding faith positions" - Fungo 22

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Perfect Swing

                            Originally posted by baseballplaya92 View Post
                            I ted williams book "the science of hitting" Ted mentions "cocking your hips AS you stride" but i cant get a really clear picture in my head as to do that. Could someone please explain to me of show me a good clip of a pro doing it? Thanks
                            Go to this link, watch and listen to Tony Gwynn's analysis.

                            http://www.usatoday.com/sports/gallery/bonds/flash.swf

                            Doesn't get any better than this! Enjoy!!!!
                            Last edited by scootheowl; 03-30-2008, 09:22 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Can't argue with the best.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X