X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phantom
    replied
    Originally posted by Quiz View Post
    Distance to the plate and the inside-out-swing for instance, but I suggest you better check it out yourself. This DVD is really worth it.
    which package did you buy? there are tons of dvds at that site.

Leave a comment:

• Quiz
    replied
    Distance to the plate and the inside-out-swing for instance, but I suggest you better check it out yourself. This DVD is really worth it.

Leave a comment:

• phantom
    replied
    Originally posted by Quiz View Post
    I received my package from Rare Sportsfilms, Inc. and franly speaking I am amazed. This is an awesome DVD with 4 movies plus the introduction speech. The quality is great, especially considering what they had to go through to convert it to video format.

The instructional material is quite decent and it gives a young hitter a solid foundation to work with. There are also a few secrets on how to get a little bit faster at the plate that I found quite interesting. Of course if you own The Science of Hitting, you pretty much know most of it already.

Since everyone is talking about rotational swings, using hips etc. these days, it makes sense to check out what the "founder" of that style has to say about it. The really nice thing for a clip maniac like me is that there are many more shots of Rose, Bench, Robinson and the other great hitters.

Overall, the DVD has high historical and pretty decent instructional value. Thumbs up all the way from me!
    could you give us some of the "secrets" you talk about?

thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Quiz
    replied
    I received my package from Rare Sportsfilms, Inc. and franly speaking I am amazed. This is an awesome DVD with 4 movies plus the introduction speech. The quality is great, especially considering what they had to go through to convert it to video format.

The instructional material is quite decent and it gives a young hitter a solid foundation to work with. There are also a few secrets on how to get a little bit faster at the plate that I found quite interesting. Of course if you own The Science of Hitting, you pretty much know most of it already.

Since everyone is talking about rotational swings, using hips etc. these days, it makes sense to check out what the "founder" of that style has to say about it. The really nice thing for a clip maniac like me is that there are many more shots of Rose, Bench, Robinson and the other great hitters.

Overall, the DVD has high historical and pretty decent instructional value. Thumbs up all the way from me!

Leave a comment:

• Williamsburg2599
    replied
    Joe Morgan just circled Sean Casey's arm at contact, and described his elbow as a "Chicken Wing" and that he was "swinging with his arms", his upper body was exactly as this Albert picture shows:

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy
    replied
    I thought I did. Would you like me to withdraw my post again?

Leave a comment:

• Jake Patterson
    replied
    Originally posted by dannyboy View Post
    I didn’t have one Mr. Booth. I was just expressing my puzzlement at why you both felt the need to offer the additional information.

But if your willing to answer more questions, how would you describe the angle formed by the bat and the rear forearm in the following photo. For example, do you see it as “acute” or “obtuse”?
    Why do I feel like I've seen this before??
    Why don't you just ask what it is you would like to know from Jim regarding the angle you speak of?

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy
    replied
    What is your question?
    I didn’t have one Mr. Booth. I was just expressing my puzzlement at why you both felt the need to offer the additional information.

But if your willing to answer more questions, how would you describe the angle formed by the bat and the rear forearm in the following photo. For example, do you see it as “acute” or “obtuse”?

But, more important; do you have a point you are going to eventually make?
    ???

Leave a comment:

• jbooth
    replied

???
    What is your question?

But, more important; do you have a point you are going to eventually make?

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy
    replied

I guess I though you were an "early torque" advocate.

At which point my point would've been, how the hell does that amount of elbow action happen without bathead movement when you are "torquing the handle" at this point in the swing.........

OK, then I agree, but it's the movement of the upper arm that causes the elbow to increase distance from the bathead, not the forearm.

???

Leave a comment:

• Ifubuildit
    replied
    Chris stated:

Also, just because I preach connection doesn't mean that I don't know that sometimes you have to disconnect/extend some(e.g. outside pitches). However, I want my guys to stay connected as much as possible.

They generally look for the middle pitch, but will hit the outside pitch if they have to.

Chris that is a solid approach at any level. I have been lurking the last couple of days and catching up a bit. I see some things never change. I also take this same approach with my students and they can hit to all fields with consistent power. Why? They stay connected as long as possible through contact. Are they always perfect. No. But their swing plane is always consistent through the zone high or low. This alone will drive the average up and the power to increase.

Keep up the good work.

Elliott.

Leave a comment:

• jima
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
    Yes and yes.

A few (e.g. 10ish) minor league and D-1 guys have found me as a result of my breakdowns of different ML swings.

I'm flattered, but I think it says more about the lack of quality (and quantity) of the hitting instruction they are receiving than it does about the exceptional quality of my work. I'm just teaching them the stuff that the main guys here agree on and teach.

It works.
    Congrats. I think we agree on the basics, but I think that there has to be more emphasis on what the hands do right before and during impact. If you extend too early, the swing will slow down as you have pointed out...but I think that SC's photos clearly shows that there is extension right at impact and after...I still don't like the spinning skater analogy, but it might work for someone. jima

Leave a comment:

• Chris O'Leary
    replied
    Originally posted by jima View Post
    Chris, are you coaching hitting to professional and major college players or did I misread that? The internet is a wonderful thing.
    Yes and yes.

A few (e.g. 10ish) minor league and D-1 guys have found me as a result of my breakdowns of different ML swings.

I'm flattered, but I think it says more about the lack of quality (and quantity) of the hitting instruction they are receiving than it does about the exceptional quality of my work. I'm just teaching them the stuff that the main guys here agree on and teach.

It works.

Leave a comment:

• jbooth
    replied
    The distance from the rear elbow to the bathead is increasing in length.
    OK, then I agree, but it's the movement of the upper arm that causes the elbow to increase distance from the bathead, not the forearm.

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy
    replied
    Thanks, Board Member.
    Last edited by Jake Patterson; 04-12-2008, 02:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X