Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feel bad about running up score, your thoughts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimiBaseball View Post
    The bottom line is, if you are down by 6 runs, you must have 6 baserunners to tie. You WILL need to get some hits and walks - no way around it (you cannot steal 1B). You cannot "manufacture" 6 runs without 6 baserunners. If you get 6 baserunners, the first three will score without taking any risk whatsoever. OUTS are your most precious resource in this situation. Why reduce your odds of getting 6 baserunners by running into one of those precious outs with a guy who would've scored anyway?
    Does this league have a rule where a batter can take 1B if it's open on a WP on strike 3? If so, that would be one reason to advance the runners, to try and free up 1B (and to eliminate a double play possibility w/less than 2 out, though a DP may be unlikely at this age). It's the closest thing you can get to stealing 1B

Comment

Originally posted by skidiver View Post
      Does this league have a rule where a batter can take 1B if it's open on a WP on strike 3? If so, that would be one reason to advance the runners, to try and free up 1B (and to eliminate a double play possibility w/less than 2 out, though a DP may be unlikely at this age). It's the closest thing you can get to stealing 1B
      In my league, no, you cannot run on a dropped third strike. It is an automatic out.

Comment

Bottom line is no good deed goes unpunished. Sooner or later every coach gets whined at for one reason or another. People don't like getting beat. Not your fault. The twentieth time you get whined at for no good reason it won't bother you anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by SimiBaseball View Post
          The bottom line is, if you are down by 6 runs, you must have 6 baserunners to tie. You WILL need to get some hits and walks - no way around it (you cannot steal 1B). You cannot "manufacture" 6 runs without 6 baserunners. If you get 6 baserunners, the first three will score without taking any risk whatsoever. OUTS are your most precious resource in this situation. Why reduce your odds of getting 6 baserunners by running into one of those precious outs with a guy who would've scored anyway?
          We scored 2 runs stealing home in a National Invitational High School Tournament. We won the tournament. There were a few schools that were Nationally ranked in the top 25 there.

Comment

Originally posted by jbolt_2000 View Post
            As it turned out, the end result was they had bases loaded with one out, the next batter popped up to first base for the second out. They tried to score on a pass ball with the next batter and the catcher tagged him out (fyi - I wouldn't do this with 2 outs). I still think it would have been ok to be a little more aggressive with no outs when they had the chance.

jbolt,

These two statements go "against the book" - conventional wisdom dictates taking more chances with 2 outs, and "never making the first out at home".

Sometimes you might manage differently in a particular situation, but you should be aware that you're doing so...

Comment

Originally posted by TrentThomas View Post
              jbolt,

These two statements go "against the book" - conventional wisdom dictates taking more chances with 2 outs, and "never making the first out at home".

Sometimes you might manage differently in a particular situation, but you should be aware that you're doing so...

I would say it does depend on the situation.

If I have one of my top hitters at the plate, with two outs. I may have the runner steal home on a pass ball. This would allow my top hitter to start the next inning off strong.

However, in the situation this thread is about, it was the last inning and they needed six runs. I wouldn't take that chance if I knew this was my last at-bats with two outs.

Comment

Originally posted by jbolt_2000 View Post
                I would say it does depend on the situation.

If I have one of my top hitters at the plate, with two outs. I may have the runner steal home on a pass ball. This would allow my top hitter to start the next inning off strong.

However, in the situation this thread is about, it was the last inning and they needed six runs. I wouldn't take that chance if I knew this was my last at-bats with two outs.
                Agreed - that's the point others have made - that it's against the book to ever run at all if you're down by 6 in the last inning.

Comment

I'm guessing you got ahead 16-5 before winning 16-10. This isn't running it up. This seems normal for many 9/10 rec leagues. I hate seeing the term "very competitive" tied to minors. All the kids want to win. But they get over it in two minutes if they don't. It's the adults that are very competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by TG Coach View Post
                    I'm guessing you got ahead 16-5 before winning 16-10. This isn't running it up. This seems normal for many 9/10 rec leagues. I hate seeing the term "very competitive" tied to minors. All the kids want to win. But they get over it in two minutes if they don't. It's the adults that are very competitive.
                    So true!

We had a practice last night, our first since the game on Monday and I asked the kids how they felt about the game. They all said that it was a good game and they had fun.

I asked them if they saw any of the other team's kids at school and what their reaction was about it. And my players that had schoolmates on the other team all said that no one talked about the game and just played basketball at recess or talked about video games. In other words, they didnt care about winning or losing. It was just another day. I was a little worried that the coach of the other team had drilled into their heads that we did something wrong and that those kids would take it out on my players. Well, as it turns out, no one cares!

I'm glad about that!

Comment

I think because it is a young kids game winning should still not be the main focus of the game. Especially if it causes other kids to have a bad experience (possibly quitting the game) which would be bad for the sport. Now if this were an older kids game I think its not really as harmful and for the worse pitchers to get work need some room to work with. Running up the score for the most part in my opinion though is for example you are up by 6 runs and bunting for hits, squeezing, stealing home even can get excessive at this point ... those type of things can cause alot of hard feelings because its just not good in the spirit of the game.
                      “If there was ever a man born to be a hitter it was me.” - Ted Williams
                      "Didn't come up here to read. Came up here to hit." - Hank Aaron

Comment

TGCoach said: All the kids want to win. But they get over it in two minutes if they don't. It's the adults that are very competitive.
                        It may take longer than two minutes -- it all depends on how long it takes for the pizza to arrive. Food is the great mellower at that age.

My advice for parents in our league new to organized baseball is this -- if you're mad at an umpire or opposing manager or player (say, for a rough slide that dumps your kid), I guarantee that 30 seconds after the food arrives for the post-game snack, your kid will care about it less than you do.
                        sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

Comment

Sound's to me like you are a good coach trying to do the right thing. I have seen these situations go both way's. I posted the same thread last year about our coach. Some of our parent's at first thought he was "running" it up so to speak. So then a few games later he backed off of a team and we almost lost. Of course you know what happened now....the parent's who were complaining about running it up now was now saying he wasn't teaching our kid's how to close out a team etc. In the age of Daddy-Ball it seems to me to be a two edged sword.....cuts both ways!?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X