The improvement continues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The improvement continues...

In my previous posts, I've let you know about my 10 yo's swing problems. I told you about his coach insisting on a 'hands to the ball' with a downward 'chopping' of the ball. Like Dontuc, I too was ignorant to the 'rotational swing mechanics' method until learning of it here on this board. Since then, and with all of your help, we have began to unlearn and relearn. I must admit that it is my son's dedication and his desire to improve that motivates me to continue working with him. After a long hard day of work (typically 11-13 hours), I come home to him waiting to go out back and practice. I bite my tongue to keep from saying 'dad's just too tired tonight'.

After about 6-7 days of nothing but tee work and soft toss, we had our first on field practice. It was a day that I'd been anticipating just to see how he'd respond. Though he's always been a pretty good hitter, facing tougher pitching was starting to show the fallacies of his swing method. Today was different. If I had to guess, 90% of everything he hit were line drives. The ball seemed to jump off of the bat, and most of his swings finished high instead of down around of his waist. I could tell that he was proud of his progress. (Dad couldn't help but stick his chest out a bit too).

This is a marked improvement. It has ignited him with the desire to 'keep working hard' and it has motivated me to continue seeking out knowledge from those of you who are obviously more knowledgeable than myself. The one lingering question I have is how did the linear, or hands to the ball concept become so prevalent? In our case, it appears to be obviously inferior.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and continued support. I'll continue to keep you posted on his progress.

Glad to hear it.There are some great baseball guys on here if you can get by the personalities.....Actually doing that is harder than learning the swing.

Comment

"The one lingering question I have is how did the linear, or hands to the ball concept become so prevalent? In our case, it appears to be obviously inferior."

Well, to put it simply... baseball is full of belief based coaching. They get taught linear, and they teach that to everyone else they meet, and so on and so forth.
      While I do prefer to interact with people in a gentle manner... I'm also not at all opposed to establishing my dominance in a reign of terror.

Comment

Thanks for the report, Sonny. Keep up the good work. Post video if possible.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X