X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BMH View Post
    Just passing through.
    BMH,

How does the TPX bats you guys made in 1997 (the extended barrel 2 3/4") available to -5oz, compare with some of the bats today.

1997 was my last year of college and those bats were amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by skipper5
      As an old-fashioned traditionalist, I'd like to see HS baseball return to its roots by banning composites and returning the "ping" of metal.
      As an old-school traditionalist when it comes to baseball, I would, as many here would, like a return to wood bats. The original discussions on cost savings with metal bats was when metal bats were less than $100, nowadays, you could have an arsenal of 6-8 wood bats for the price of a composite. Plus, I'm not sure the newer metal/composite bats are even lasting a full season up here in the frigid upper Midwest!!!!!

What about a compromise? I don't see any reason why at least HS and college couldn't switch over to the wood composite bats. Most people would only go through two a season, and you would still be ahead the cost of one $400 composite bat.

Twitch5

Comment

My understanding was that most of the fancy bat technology went into making larger sweet spots. A quick 2 bat sweet spot check (hold big bat to be tested by the knob with 2 fingers, use a small bat to tap up and down the barrel) will show you that the heart of the sweet spot of a wood bat is quite small. All the trampoline/flex control stuff in a big $$$ bat is trying to make that spot wider.
        To me, this is the big shock in going from metal/composite to wood...you have a very small spot with which to really power the ball with wood, and players who aren't used to them won't have the skill to apply that spot to the ball consistently.
        "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Originally posted by skipper5
          re: broken bats

Something I can't figure out: when I was growing up in the wood bat era, there wasn't much money around--a lot of solidly middle class families had one car instead of two, placing a long-distance phone call was a big deal, and very few people flew on airliners.

Baseball was the true national pastime in those years. How could those families afford the cost of replacing all the wooden bats that supposedly make wood bats financially impractical?
          My take is that store bats mostly had really thick handles then...if you have a bat with a 1.25 to 1.5 inch handle, it's going to pretty hard to break it!
          "I throw him four wide ones, then try to pick him off first base." - Preacher Roe on pitching to Musial

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X