X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wrstdude
    replied
    Originally posted by CoachHenry View Post
    I haven't seen anything close to 70% of the kids who play travel ball quit by the age of 13. If that is how it is in your area, they something is wrong in your area. I see far, FAR more kids who played rec ball quit then I did travel kids. FAR more.
    I agree. I've been around the current 15Us in my area since they were 9 and I keep seeing the same kids on the same teams-if not more....weird.

Leave a comment:

• Stealth
    replied
    Jake - in a perfect world I would agree with you.

However, the kids who play travel in my area are hands down better than 90% of the kids who play rec ball. The rosters of the varsity teams are made up of these travelball players and the top 10% of rec players.

Just yesterday I watched a rec game of 13's. The kids literally had trouble catching the ball. It's just the way it is...........agree or disagree times have changed.

Leave a comment:

• CoachHenry
    replied
    I haven't seen anything close to 70% of the kids who play travel ball quit by the age of 13. If that is how it is in your area, they something is wrong in your area. I see far, FAR more kids who played rec ball quit then I did travel kids. FAR more.

Leave a comment:

• wogdoggy
    replied
    you can say what you want but in travel your kid will get many more quality at bats against better pitching,that experience will never be had in a rec league..

he WILL generally play better competition...

in high school the coach will look at the kid with the best hitting ability, arm strength, speed and defense..and of course size..

like the coach mentioned i dont care if you played on the mud dogs or the tad poles..

Leave a comment:

• Jake Patterson
    replied
    I brought this over from another thread....

Here's what I think...

I feel the proliferation of TB has hurt the game. 70% of children who play quit before the age of 13. One of the key reasons is it is no longer fun- they're burnt out by over-zealeous parents who feel "we have Jr.'s best interest at heart." Believe me I made the same mistakes and baseball is not like travel soccer. In travel soccer kids get tired, in travel baseball kids get hurt.. Here's what I recommend

1. U12 - Little League or similar rec league and Fall ball. This is plenty! 25-35 Games is more than enough.

2. 13-15 - MS/HS plus one other short season, be that Jr. League, Jr. Legion or AAU. 40-50 games.

3. 16+ - HS and Legion ball. If Legion is not available then one short season with a TB team. 50-60 games.

NONE should be played at the same time and I recommend a break between the two. Year round baseball is bad no matter what anyone tells you for prebubescent and pubescent players. Even the games very best take 5 months off.

Quotes like:
    "My kid needs to play year round in order to keep his skills up."
    "If he wants to be the best he needs to hitting/throwing every day."
    "Hey this kid is special."
    "If he doesn't play 100 games he'll be left behind."
    Etc...
    Are usually more about the parents than it is the players.

Hope this helps...
    Jake

Leave a comment:

• Encinitas
    replied
    Who was the guy on one of these sites who said he listened to the "who needs travel ball" type advice that is often rampant on the boards.

His kid tries out for HS and gets cut. The kids who made all played a lot of travel ball according to the dad. Their skills were more refined, etc. Anyway his story was quite contrary to the typical response see on the "internets".

No matter what you do it's all about balance. My little one who is 10, I coached a little 10U fall USSSA team and we played maybe 10 games and didn't play tournaments. That's more than enough for him. Other kids would leave after my game and play for another travel team. Those kids can't seem to get enough baseball. So what? If my son were screaming at me "dad I want to play for a real team" I'd do it for him. We do not keep the team together during little league and all-stars.

It's basically about what does your kid want to do. Some kids really do seem to like playing on a rec team and two travel ball teams here in SD. Mine don't, but who am I to sit back and judge.

Also another pattern I see is some of the "anti"-travel ball dads (who's kids can never seem to hit by the way) down here are all well-connected in the local high schools. They tend to be the most intense during the Rec Ball (little league) seasons. Mainly because that is all their son is playing so they take Rec ball like it's life or death. One this year finally agreed to let his kid play travel ball and the guy has mellowed out. He actually lets other kids pitch now, and try positions because he is coming to understand, that Rec-Ball just means more At-Bats, so why get so excited?

Leave a comment:

• CoachHenry
    replied
    It is so situational to the team and coach. I see both sides of it around here. Over use and also good management of arms. On the rec side I see an inability to teach mechanics which has a negative effect as well. Of course you see kids in travel ball with crappy mechanics as well but more in rec.

I handled the pitching on my son's team most years when he traveled. Our league had overly-cautious rules regarding pitching but the reason they were there was to protect against jackass coaches who would push good sense. Outside the league tournaments couldn't be enforced concerning pitching rules so overuse still happens.

Some feel that kids don't throw ENOUGH and that is why they get injured when going to HS. In some cases I'm sure that is true.

One way to combat overuse is to develop more pitchers on your team. I know that with how games fall it is tough for teams to keep many pitchers sharp but that is why we increased the number of kids on our team from 12 to 14 (sometimes one more). We would have kids working in the bullpen on days that we couldn't get them in a game or rainouts or this and that. We found that by doing that we had more sharp pitchers available to us, kids were active during games while on the bench, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Chris O'Leary
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonny View Post
    I once read an article about the effects that competitive travel baseball was having on high school baseball programs. I guess I see it as a good and bad thing. Obviously, travel ball can afford a kid plenty of quality game time experience and plenty of reps, but on the other hand, overuse and the risk of injury (especially during the Middle/High School season) is a factor. I'm not an advocate for, or against travel baseball (my son has done this for three years now), but I am curious as to what many of you think. In our case, I do think that it helped prepare my son for his middle school team. At this point, he seems much more fundamentally sound than many of the other kids that haven't been afforded the opportunity to play travel ball. Additionally, what do you think about travel teams scheduling tournaments during the school baseball schedule (weekends)? One of our local school programs will prohibit their players from doing both at the same time starting next year.
    I think many of the best young arms are being destroyed by travel ball (due to tournaments and pitchers pitching multiple times during a weekend or even a day).

I think that's one reason why you see less home-grown pitching talent in the US.

Leave a comment:

• Thoughts on Travel Ball and How It Affects High School Ball

I once read an article about the effects that competitive travel baseball was having on high school baseball programs. I guess I see it as a good and bad thing. Obviously, travel ball can afford a kid plenty of quality game time experience and plenty of reps, but on the other hand, overuse and the risk of injury (especially during the Middle/High School season) is a factor. I'm not an advocate for, or against travel baseball (my son has done this for three years now), but I am curious as to what many of you think. In our case, I do think that it helped prepare my son for his middle school team. At this point, he seems much more fundamentally sound than many of the other kids that haven't been afforded the opportunity to play travel ball. Additionally, what do you think about travel teams scheduling tournaments during the school baseball schedule (weekends)? One of our local school programs will prohibit their players from doing both at the same time starting next year.

Thanks,
    Sonny

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X