Anyone had/having to practice indoors due to weather..need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone had/having to practice indoors due to weather..need help

With all the rain around here we are having to practice in a gym. For those that have done this.

What are some of the things you have worked on inside? I know we will be using softer balls or tennis balls for some hitting drills.

I would like to be effective at this practice since the season is just a couple of weeks away for these 7-9 yr. old coach pitch kids.

Thanks for any help

Like outside, take a stationed approach. Depending on how may helpers you have, have a tee, soft-toss from the side, pitch from the front (all wiffle balls for inside since you don't have a cage probably). Work on the basic stance at those stations except for pitch from the front. For fielding stations again. First one is the basic roll slowly from the front concentrating on form. Second is shuffeling side to side slightly getting them used to it. Third is fielding from someone hitting with a bat as a moderate speed, whatever they are ready for. Into this mix if you can have a station that works on throwing form, catching (basic and pop-ups). Towards the end of practice setup bases and practice running through first then turning and finding the first base coach. Then have them run to first and have the coach send them to second to simulate an overthrow, etc. Then do first to second, first to third making sure they get to the base and find the third base coach. Then second to third (find the coach), second to home, the third to home. Stress the only to bases they are allowed to run through (first, home) and so on.

Those are just a few suggestions, there are many others.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Coach

Several of our guys are horrible at throwing and just can't get them to use correct form and deliver the ball with out big arch throws or holding the ball too long and throwing wide or into ground.

I will incorporate some of those hitting stations, I have some of the soft toss balls that are sponge like.

Any others have comments please share.

Comment

Don't miss this opportunity to have skull drills also. That age needs teaching of baseball situations (what to do/where to throw) and that is something that is best done with skull drills when a field can't be had.

Comment

I've been meaning to write an article on this very topic, but I just haven't had the time.
          MAXX Training - the latest on sports training & athletic performance! www.maxxtraining.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jim W. View Post
            Don't miss this opportunity to have skull drills also. That age needs teaching of baseball situations (what to do/where to throw) and that is something that is best done with skull drills when a field can't be had.
            That age group has a three to five minute attention span for discussions.

Comment

Originally posted by TG Coach View Post
              That age group has a three to five minute attention span for discussions.
              So.......get creative for their level.

I guess we are wasting time sending to school then.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim W. View Post
                Yes! In HS on a rainy day we would spend half the practice doing drills and the other half in a classroom going over things. Every player had to know how to diagram (chalkboard, remember those?) every position for every situation he would throw at us. Much of those game situation things came from those skull sessions.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X