Batting order help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batting order help needed

It seems like I need a lot of help, but this is a great place to get answers.

We are nearing the beginning of season and I need to come up with a batting order.

Can anyone tell me how to decide on the order? Do you put the fast kid up first that can get on base, then just like the big boys put some power hitters to follow such as clean up.

This is coach pitch they get 5 pitches hit or its a out, 3 outs and switch up. I have about 3 weak hitters (one is terrible and doesn't want to try), should these be mixed in the middle of the line up? 10 man rotation.

Thanks for suggestions

For coach pitch make a lineup and stick to it for the year. The ondeck hitter for the last out of the game becomes the leadoff hitter the next game.

Comment

What my son's 6-7 year old league coach did was this. He'd pretty much mix up the entire lineup for the first half of the year. A couple of the stronger hitters would be in the first 4-5 spots, but everyone got a chance to lead the game off.

He started to create a good lineup for the second half of the season, still mixing up the last few spots so that no kid was always the last batter.

Then, for the in house tournament, he'd have a set lineup. This pretty much made everyone happy.

Comment

Thanks guys

Anyone else have a way or is involved in a team that does their line up different?

I definately want the kids to have fun, but also don't want to have 2-3 innings with weak hitting there since we only go about 7 innings.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by bluefan89 View Post
          It seems like I need a lot of help, but this is a great place to get answers.

We are nearing the beginning of season and I need to come up with a batting order.

Can anyone tell me how to decide on the order? Do you put the fast kid up first that can get on base, then just like the big boys put some power hitters to follow such as clean up.

This is coach pitch they get 5 pitches hit or its a out, 3 outs and switch up. I have about 3 weak hitters (one is terrible and doesn't want to try), should these be mixed in the middle of the line up? 10 man rotation.

Thanks for suggestions
          At this age (Coach pitch), just let the kids pick their names out of hat. Really.

Comment

Originally posted by old perfessor View Post
            At this age (Coach pitch), just let the kids pick their names out of hat. Really.
            I agree. I wouldn't put too much thought into it. Focus your thoughts on teaching fundamentals and let them play and have fun.

Comment

I try to make sure that I group several kids who can put the ball into play. This allows them to advance bases and learn that aspect of the game. It also allows the other team to do something other then just throw to first or second. If along the way they also scores some runs then they get excited about that. As the season goes along we sort of used the same lineup (and grouping hitters) with the last batter becoming the first batter of the next game as another mentioned above. Here and there we would move some kids around "depending". We would also mix in some hitters with kids who didn't hit very well just so the game didn't get to be out out out.

Comment

Typically an older team would have faster players at 1 and 2. The 9 spot can also have a fast hitter and then obviously 3-4-5 are usually the power hitters. Since its coach pitch though its fun at the age to hit in different spots. Wins and losses usually aren't a huge deal at that level even though kids want to win its not a major priority.
                “If there was ever a man born to be a hitter it was me.” - Ted Williams
                "Didn't come up here to read. Came up here to hit." - Hank Aaron

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X