Anyone built a homemade batting cage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NY16CATCHER View Post
    I'll second this concept. I bought all of my netting from the same guy on ebay. After I bought enough netting to do my outdoor design, I emailed him and made a deal on some more to do an indoor design as well. I've got an outdoor net that has lasted 2 years now, the frame is made from PVC (which I poured sand into at certain strategic spots to act as ballast prior to assembling) and I don't think I spent more than $75 in total on that. I made an indoor net on guide wires that allow it to be retracted to a storage position in the front of the garage and allow the car to be parked indoors if needed. Probably have less than $50 invested on that one. All in all, great investments.
    Can you PM me your build instructions for the indoor cage? That sounds great.
    Owner of Driveline Baseball - Seattle, WA

Comment

http://www.baseball-fever.com/attach...1&d=1208642046

This is 60ft long. To poles sunk in the ground 4ft, 12ft out of ground out in the yard.
      The other end long threaded eye bolts into garage wall beams.
      4 turn buckles, plastic coated air craft cable. I strech the cable with turnbuckles. The net is hung with spring clips. I slide it out like a shower curtain use it, if I want to cut the grass it slides under my garage overhang and I clip it to the wall. It all fits under the overhang.

2 concrete pads, flush with the ground to mow over, one for the batter, one for me to sit on a padded bucket, feed the balls with one hand, cold beer in the other.

Straightleg
      Attached Files
      Last edited by straightleg; 04-20-2008, 07:02 AM.
      Hips go forward / Hands go back

Comment

Originally posted by kylebee View Post
        Can you PM me your build instructions for the indoor cage? That sounds great.
        Let me take some pics and write out how I did it...if you PM me your email, I'll send the pics and instructions along.

Comment

Originally posted by handyman11 View Post
          I bought everything at Home Depot except the Net ( 55X12X14 , about $325 on Ebay ) , and the L-screen (7X7 , $125 on EBAY ) ...

Over cost about $750 , and well worth it .....

The weather has finally started to break so trying to locate all supplies for home built cage. Looks like I have 50' of fairly level ground and around 12' wide.

Went to Home depot and all they had in plumbing and electrical were 10' material for posts. I figure I need a couple feet in the ground and around 12' at least out of the ground. I guess the pieces could be joined but don't want to weaken anything.

If anyone has plans on their home build please post or pm me.

Thanks

Comment

Got all my stuff from Gourock Netting, they have all of the required supplies, components, and plans needed for just about anything you should need at a reasonable price.

http://gourock.com/bbcages.html
            In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by mudvnine View Post
              Got all my stuff from Gourock Netting, they have all of the required supplies, components, and plans needed for just about anything you should need at a reasonable price.

http://gourock.com/bbcages.html
              Great site...

I've been saving up to buy a batting cage... (I could afford one, but I like to keep a certain amount of $ in my bank account). Too bad for my 16 bday/ x-mas I get a car.

Comment

I'll be getting married in a few months and moving into a townhome. The first major project will be to build a batting cage in the garage that will suffice for soft toss and throwing into a net! I'll take pictures when I do, since I'm not a handyman and my post will probably be unintentionally funny
                Owner of Driveline Baseball - Seattle, WA

Comment

You can use 3/4" EMT conduit...

for a lightweight cage that you can take down and put back up easily. People sell connector kits on eBay, but you can google for conduit shelter carport and you'll find places that sell the connectors in whatever type and quantity you want. We're going to try 102 degree low peak connectors, so our cage will have slightly splayed legs which should help it to withstand low winds better. We've got some netting that my husband's old company threw out--just had to buy enough extra for one side. The one piece of netting hasn't arrived yet and we also haven't cleaned out the van so we can go pick up the EMT conduit, but I'm optimistic that it will work ok.

Comment

Originally posted by slizacolby View Post
                    you can google for conduit shelter carport and you'll find places that sell the connectors in whatever type and quantity you want.
                    Here you go. Check out this link for a design tool and place to buy parts. I am filing this away for my next cage.

http://www.creativeshelters.com/
                    Have Fun and Play Hard!

Chuck Faulkner
                    Tazewell TN 37879
                    The Glove Medic

Comment

Don't know if mentioned already. Been looking at www.cagesplus.com 3/4 emt seems small but looked over the whole web page and its kind of making since. Also easy to take down for hurrricane season!!!!

Comment

Just browsed over the cageplus site looks goods....for a 50' cage need lots of 10' poles (20+)

Has anyone been able to find the poles over 10' in length? I would like to find some 16' posts so I could put 2' in the ground.

Thanks

Comment

I went by a local fence company and bought the poles. They will cut down what ever size you need. They also cut a slightly larger pipe I used to concrete into the ground at ground level. This way I can pull up the support poles as needed. Note: Depending what size cage you put in, you may need to have supporting cables to keep the poles from bending. I've had my 70' cage for 6 years with only slight pole flex.

Comment

Our cage has 3' schedule 40 pipe that is three feet into the ground on the four corners then 2" pipe half way down. Each of those has a pipe across the top to hold the cable run down. The end piece has a cantilver from about four feet up the pole going into the ground (at 45degrees, about 3 feet deep). The cable is pretty tight and the poles in the middle prevent any significant sagging. Works great.

If anybody wants it I'll draw it up and post it.

Comment

Originally posted by bluefan89 View Post
                              Just browsed over the cageplus site looks goods....for a 50' cage need lots of 10' poles (20+)

Has anyone been able to find the poles over 10' in length? I would like to find some 16' posts so I could put 2' in the ground.

Thanks
                              Check out Gourock Netting they may have a complete system that might fit your needs, at the same or better price, all in a "one stop shop" sort of thing.

Here's how it's set up

Complete systems - Net, frame, and anchors
                              10'x10'x40' = Price: $499.00
                              10'x10'x60' = Price: $599.00 Right now all cages come with a Free L-Screen and net.
                              12'x12'x55' = Price: $659.00
                              12'x12'x70' = Price: $799.00

I purchased my original net from Gourock, but thought I could do it cheaper by getting my own hardware. After I replaced my original "light-weight" system, I wish I had purchased at all together in the first place.

Hope it helps.
                              In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

Does anyone here have a CagePlus cage?

-scott
                                "There are no miracles in sports. Miracles have been rehearsed hundreds of times in practice." - Scott Waz

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X