No announcement yet.

Anyone built a homemade batting cage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey mudvnine, nothing against you at all. I looked into the one you suggested and the price looked great until i saw that they charge $200+ for shipping. But the one you are showing still just came in a little more the the cages plus because of the shipping. Now i am torn because the one they offer the ball will never hit the poles unlike the cagesplus. I do not own a cage thats why i am here so i am just trying to find the best buy for the money as everyone else. I am sure sooner or later one of the 3/4 emt will bend from a ball, if i get one i will buy a few spares. At $4.00 a piece why not!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CoachHenry View Post

If anybody wants it I'll draw it up and post it.

If anyone has drawings or pics. of your cage please share them. Open to all ideas and set ups.

Thanks

Comment

We've had the 60ft cagesplus for almost a year. Excellent product, especially if your yard isnt perfectly level. Had it up in about an hour and a half. The net has held up great. I live in Marietta Ga area and it holds up just fine in the storms here. We use the zooka machine also.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthewsdad View Post
          Hey mudvnine, nothing against you at all. I looked into the one you suggested and the price looked great until i saw that they charge $200+ for shipping. But the one you are showing still just came in a little more the the cages plus because of the shipping. Now i am torn because the one they offer the ball will never hit the poles unlike the cagesplus. I do not own a cage thats why i am here so i am just trying to find the best buy for the money as everyone else. I am sure sooner or later one of the 3/4 emt will bend from a ball, if i get one i will buy a few spares. At $4.00 a piece why not!!!
          Mattsdad, no problem at all about quoting the shipping; I'm not associated with the company in anyway and not trying to push the Gourock cage, just wanted to offer another resonable option without having to chase down parts all over town.

In fact I'm happy you researched it further to also compare shipping costs, to offer a truer price comparison between all the cages. Good luck in your search, I know having to put out that kind of money on ANY cage can wrinkle the nerves.

All the best,
          MV9
          In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

backyard batting cages

If you are looking for backyard batting cage to setup for the weekend, a portable batting cage works great. If you are looking to set up a batting cage and leave it up for a season or leave it up year round, consider a batting cage with a cable or stand alone frame. Both the cable frames and standalone frames can stand up to gusty wind conditions, these frames can be let in place year round if desired, the net can be taken down during periods of snow and ice. If you are looking for a heavy duty, commercial batting cage which is intended as a permanent fixture take a look at commercial cages. BTW you can save some money by purchasing a batting cage kit opposed to a complete cage, shipping the full length poles for the frame adds greatly to the cost of shipping. A kit usually includes everything except the poles which can be purchased at you local hardware store.

Resources

www.baseballbattingcages.com
            www.actionbattingcages.com
            Last edited by battingcages; 06-10-2008, 02:57 PM.

Comment

It's times like this I wish I lived in suburbia instead of nyc so I could be build a batting cage of my own oh well lol

Comment

Action Sports batting cages

I bought an Action Sports batting cage this spring. 56 X14 X 12. I graded the land, built it back up with 2A modifed and then compacted the heck out of it. I put geofabric down and then about 4" of Pea gravel. The kit came with some of the EMT piping, all of the cables, and hardware and angle bracets and mounting poles. I had to buy 10 sections of 1.5" and 2" EMT pipe and some concrete. Installation was fairly easy with lots of help. Basically, had to mark the spots for the mounting poles and then concrete them in and then start connecting all the piping. It is a first class set up. I would recommend Action batting cages!

The cage is great, my son uses it all the time. He absoultely loves it and it has helped him a great deal this year. I will keep the net up through the fall (fall ball) and then take it down and put it away until next spring.

Some guys buy Harleys, I bought a batting cage for my kid!

Comment

Hi great looking set up you have , I AM making a frame for a 12x14x70 net using 4 sections of 4x4x16---the same as yours 4' in ground 12' above in cement on yours is 4' in ground stable enough? any help would be great. thanks G MOORE

Comment

I have an 80 ft cage and a 3 car garage. I can not put the cage up in my yard. Home Owners Association rules.

Was wondering if anyone was an engineer enough to design a cage that I could run out of my garage and down the drive way.

Or any ideas or thoughts on the subject.
                    The Hands and the Hips DRIVE the Swing!

Comment

Originally posted by swingbuilder View Post
                      I have an 80 ft cage and a 3 car garage. I can not put the cage up in my yard. Home Owners Association rules.

Was wondering if anyone was an engineer enough to design a cage that I could run out of my garage and down the drive way.

Or any ideas or thoughts on the subject.

How much driveway do you have to work with? Is it asphalt or concrete?

I would set up three holes about 50' from the front of your garage that run parallel with the garage, spaced about five feet apart. The holes will need to be a 18-24 inches deep, and about six inches wide. Each hole will need a casing capable of supporting a 10' chain link fence post (maybe a 3inch wide pvc pipe that runs the depth of the hole). The casing will need to be set in concrete. The concept is the same as the placement of volleyball poles into a basketball court. Ideally the holes will have a cap, and the poles could be stored in the garage when not in use.

Three guide wires would be permenantly attached to the back wall of your garage spaced the same as your holes. The net would be set up as any other retractable cage, difference being the driveway side of your cage could colapse and retract in order to hide from the HOA Nazi.

Side note: My old man built us a cage when I was a kid and the HOA told him that he would have to take it down.....Long story short, he put a for sale sign up in the yard and we moved to where there were no HOA's.
                      Last edited by Deemax; 07-23-2008, 05:14 AM.
                      My own signature is not impressive, so I selected one that was...
                      sigpic

Comment

I have a question for all of you who have experience with batting cages. how much width space do you need for a 12' wide x 12' high x 70' long net? I just bought this net for the team I coach and we have two tunnels enclosed by chain link. I'm concerned that they aren't wide enough and balls are going to continously hit the net and chain link when hit. for a 12' wide net do you need 14' of width space? less? more? thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by straightleg View Post
                          http://www.baseball-fever.com/attach...1&d=1208642046

This is 60ft long. To poles sunk in the ground 4ft, 12ft out of ground out in the yard.
                          The other end long threaded eye bolts into garage wall beams.
                          4 turn buckles, plastic coated air craft cable. I strech the cable with turnbuckles. The net is hung with spring clips. I slide it out like a shower curtain use it, if I want to cut the grass it slides under my garage overhang and I clip it to the wall. It all fits under the overhang.

2 concrete pads, flush with the ground to mow over, one for the batter, one for me to sit on a padded bucket, feed the balls with one hand, cold beer in the other.

Straightleg
                          where did you buy your nettign from?

im intrested in buildign a cage like yorus

Comment

i bought the poles that snap together from omnisportstechnolgies? dot com
                            you can do a google search.the poles were about 100 per unit and you would need four.they snap pin to each other are flat black and dont rust.I then dug holes in the ground about 4 feet deep and set sleeves in below ground level so the post can just slide in and out..when i "retire" i'll pull the posts,, and dirt over the holes ..I went with a poly net which i just tie up in winter so it doesnt sit in the snow...and btw my neighboors love it too since i keep it up year round their scenery never changes a bit ,,,they also love the pinging of the bats at 7 am before those early weekend tournys....

just kidding.. be considerate if you do have one.

Comment

Originally posted by Gap_Finder_08 View Post
                              I have a question for all of you who have experience with batting cages. how much width space do you need for a 12' wide x 12' high x 70' long net? I just bought this net for the team I coach and we have two tunnels enclosed by chain link. I'm concerned that they aren't wide enough and balls are going to continously hit the net and chain link when hit. for a 12' wide net do you need 14' of width space? less? more? thanks!
                              14' would be ideal, our field cages are with a 12' wide net. leaving a approx. 1foot on each side to the links. The wear and tear is going to be behind the hitter, good to put a pad or fabric of some sort up to take the stress off the net.

A 12' alley is good, the one I have at home is 10' its just a little tight for an adult but fine for the boy.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach C View Post
                                14' would be ideal, our field cages are with a 12' wide net. leaving a approx. 1foot on each side to the links. The wear and tear is going to be behind the hitter, good to put a pad or fabric of some sort up to take the stress off the net.

A 12' alley is good, the one I have at home is 10' its just a little tight for an adult but fine for the boy.
                                thanks. I was thinking 14' might suffice.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X