Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone built a homemade batting cage?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    CouldN't you use fence instead of net? Of course this wouldn't be potable, but it will be definitely durable. Metal tube(like the one traffic signs are posted) +good fence and you will have a great cage.

    But of course there might be cheaper solutions.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Gap_Finder_08 View Post
      thanks. I was thinking 14' might suffice.
      I went with a 10 ft wide cage, in retrospect you want to go bigger especially if you have the team over to hit.this way you can build 2 batters boxes for lefty and righty...10 feet is too tight to accomodate both.building wood platform boxes with astro turf has allowed us to use the cage more.{no puddling dirt batters box}

      as far as widthe goes you want at least an additional 3 feet in my opinion on top of the 12 cage.When the kids get bigger and hit line shots the net itself will give about 2 feet minimum ,you dont want to be walking on the side of the net if this happens.

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by wogdoggy View Post
        building wood platform boxes with astro turf has allowed us to use the cage more.{no puddling dirt batters box}
        thanks for the tip, looks like a I have a weekend project.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by dominik View Post
          CouldN't you use fence instead of net? Of course this wouldn't be potable, but it will be definitely durable. Metal tube(like the one traffic signs are posted) +good fence and you will have a great cage.

          But of course there might be cheaper solutions.
          The net slows the ball down and saves wear and tear on the balls, which is one of the bigger expenses in our league. With chain link only I would think you would damage and warp the fence and have to deal with ricochets’.
          Last edited by Coach C; 01-22-2009, 10:08 PM.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by dominik View Post
            CouldN't you use fence instead of net? Of course this wouldn't be potable, but it will be definitely durable. Metal tube(like the one traffic signs are posted) +good fence and you will have a great cage.

            But of course there might be cheaper solutions.
            We used fence before I bought this net and it was not fun at all. The poles were exposed and you would have kids hit opposite field shots that would ricochet into the back of the BP throwers neck. And we had to use dimpled cage balls because leather baseballs can't withstand the damage created by the fence. I don't recommend it!

            Comment


            • #51
              Hello all....I am revisiting this topic from last year I guess.....

              well I have procrastinated....but now have my 50' foot area leveled and ready for cage....

              does anyone have a good design still of a cage maybe 50'ish by 12' give or take some.

              I am wanting this to be where I could open it up to mow and/or push back in case of storm?

              I would like to have 4 posts with netting over that and be able to pull it back when not in use. But afraid it would need more support to prevent sagging and give....might be adding a pitching machine to it as well as money becomes available.

              Thanks again for the help

              Comment


              • #52
                does anyone have a good design still of a cage maybe 50'ish by 12' give or take some.

                I am wanting this to be where I could open it up to mow and/or push back in case of storm?

                I would like to have 4 posts with netting over that and be able to pull it back when not in use. But afraid it would need more support to prevent sagging and give....might be adding a pitching machine to it as well as money becomes available.
                Do you have AutoCad? If so, I could send you my plans when I get done with our new one. I made one last year, but I'm about to go back to the drawing board due to a huge wind storm that crippled the one I built last season.

                I have the same dilemma because it is a pain to try to mow around it and I'm taking this into extreme consideration on the one I'm building this season.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Here's Where I Got My Stuff

                  g-mac, I got my stuf from Gourock several years back (they didn't have the one I linked you to at the time I was ordering, but wish they did) and have had great excellent results from it.

                  Just one thing, I tried to make a "homemade" one originally with stuff from the local building suppy store and after that failed in less then two years, went out and spent "a little extra money" for something that has lasted 8 years now.

                  So the old saying "Pay the price, or buy it twice" might save you in the long run.


                  Good luck,
                  Mud

                  PS, when you do decide to get the pitching machine, I highly recommend the Atec Casey Pro . . . I've had mine for 9 years now and it continues to perform as if it's brand new.
                  Last edited by mudvnine; 02-10-2009, 12:02 PM.
                  In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    g-mac, I got my stuf from Gourock several years back (they didn't have the one I linked you to at the time I was ordering, but wish they did) and have had great excellent results from it.

                    Just one thing, I tried to make a "homemade" one originally with stuff from the local building suppy store and after that failed in less then two years, went out and spent "a little extra money" for something that has lasted 8 years now.

                    So the old saying "Pay the price, or buy it twice" might save you in the long run.


                    Good luck,
                    Mud

                    PS, when you do decide to get the pitching machine, I highly recommend the Atec Casey Pro . . . I've had mine for 9 years now and it continues to perform as if it's brand new.
                    I think you were meaning to reply to someone else, but thanks for the info on the Atec just the same. I have actually been looking at these.

                    I'm a structural programmer and I've got access to steel at cheap prices so I didn't get hurt on the first one. I was considering moving so I didn't want to go all out and I just built a cage that would last for at least the season and wouldn't be hard to rip up and scrap if need be. For no more than I had in it, it worked pretty well. It took the winds last year that blew in from the hurricane to bend it...and even then, it stayed up better than I thought it would.

                    I'm actually in the process drawing up what I need that will last for the long haul.

                    Like i said earlier, if you only consider one feature in your cage, make it where it's easier to mow around!

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      I would like to see any plans...not sure I have access to autocad.

                      If I can get a design where I can attach it to like the back of a brick garage and push netting when not in use against the wall of garage and secure it.

                      Maybe having only 4-6 poles to mow around.

                      Trouble in my thinking is having it secure enough so that it doesn't sag but able to push netting back easy for mowing or maintenance.

                      Does any company make such a cage if not home built?

                      Thanks

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by g-mac View Post
                        I think you were meaning to reply to someone else, but thanks for the info on the Atec just the same. I have actually been looking at these.

                        I'm a structural programmer and I've got access to steel at cheap prices so I didn't get hurt on the first one. I was considering moving so I didn't want to go all out and I just built a cage that would last for at least the season and wouldn't be hard to rip up and scrap if need be. For no more than I had in it, it worked pretty well. It took the winds last year that blew in from the hurricane to bend it...and even then, it stayed up better than I thought it would.

                        I'm actually in the process drawing up what I need that will last for the long haul.

                        Like i said earlier, if you only consider one feature in your cage, make it where it's easier to mow around!
                        Well I do believe you are right . . . I was writing that to bluefan89's question when I posted the above.


                        Anyway, if you do get the Atec and have a few extra bucks lying around definitely go for the Casey Pro 3G, its adjustability and accuracy is amazing.

                        It wasn't out when I was shopping for mine, but a friend has one and I'm not proud saying that it's causing me to violate one of of the 10 Commandments . . . "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's pitching machine" . . . . :ooo:
                        In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by bluefan89 View Post
                          I would like to see any plans...not sure I have access to autocad.

                          If I can get a design where I can attach it to like the back of a brick garage and push netting when not in use against the wall of garage and secure it.

                          Maybe having only 4-6 poles to mow around.

                          Trouble in my thinking is having it secure enough so that it doesn't sag but able to push netting back easy for mowing or maintenance.

                          Does any company make such a cage if not home built?


                          Thanks
                          Yes . . . as posted above, this cage can be set up and removed in about 5 minutes and seems to be very reasonably priced . . . . click here!!
                          In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Mudvnine, that cage you linked to. Would it hold up just fine for a bunch of 9-11 yr olds swinging in it 5-6 days a week, April through Sept? That may be the one for me...
                            "The game doesn't only exist to get better at it. At some point you are supposed to enjoy playing it. " - ralanprod

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by alpo View Post
                              Mudvnine, that cage you linked to. Would it hold up just fine for a bunch of 9-11 yr olds swinging in it 5-6 days a week, April through Sept? That may be the one for me...
                              Alpo, that cage assembly was not available when I put my cage up years ago, so I personally have not had experience with that particular setup. I can tell you though, that the netting material and attachment hardware that I bought from Gourock is still going strong some nine years after I put it up and left it up year round in the ol' Southern California sun.

                              It would be my guess that if you didn't let the little climb and slide on the pools or play Tarzan on the netting, then it should last you many baseball seasons to come.

                              Just to put things in perspective, I paid more just for my netting back then, then they are now selling that entire "EZ up" system that I linked you to . . . and my poles are not removable, which I think is a great feature in this new set up (I know my wife would love to not always look out her kitchen window to see that "dang batting cage" blocking her roses).
                              In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                sounds good... thanks.
                                "The game doesn't only exist to get better at it. At some point you are supposed to enjoy playing it. " - ralanprod

                                Comment

                                Ad Widget

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X