No announcement yet.

Anyone built a homemade batting cage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes . . . as posted above, this cage can be set up and removed in about 5 minutes and seems to be very reasonably priced . . . . click here!!
    Mudvine, did you check the shipping on this thing? I knew there was a catch somewhere. Not to knock their product...I am impressed with it, but for a 12x12x55, it's going to cost you over a grand once you add shipping.
    I put up a 12x14x55 for under six hundred...of course, it couldn't stand up to hurricane force winds and toppled within a year. I am doing it right this time and I'll still be under 700 bucks...and I'll be able to slide the net back for mowing and be able to remove it at the end of the year. (per my wife's requirements)
    For someone building a cage, I would highly recommend taking a look at the cage you linked to. They have the right idea on how to anchor it. These companies have pretty good products, but shipping the steel gets extremely pricey.

Comment

Originally posted by g-mac View Post
      Do you have AutoCad? If so, I could send you my plans when I get done with our new one. I made one last year, but I'm about to go back to the drawing board due to a huge wind storm that crippled the one I built last season.

I have the same dilemma because it is a pain to try to mow around it and I'm taking this into extreme consideration on the one I'm building this season.
      You should be able to print your drawings to pdf's. If you click to plot, then select printer. Adobe PDF should be an option if it's like mine. It will create pdf files in the same location as your originals.

I wouldn't mind seeing these. Thanks in advance.

Comment

That's crazy. I would have never thought about putting something like that up.

I just used my basement hitting of a tee into the net.

In the Vinci Winners bag:
        Vinci PJV16 and Vinci PJV55
        Vinci #5 and Bones

Comment

You should be able to print your drawings to pdf's. If you click to plot, then select printer. Adobe PDF should be an option if it's like mine. It will create pdf files in the same location as your originals.

I didn't really think about that.:lightbulb: Give me some time (we are consumed with basketball at the moment) and when I get time to draw something out, I'll share them with you. There's really not a whole lot to it, but I will probably draw something up so I can have a couple of the pieces fabbed before I take them home.

Comment

This post is directed at MUDVNINE wrt the Gourock Cage you linked to, or anyone else who may have experience with this model. I have a few questions I'd appreciate your thoughts on, and please indulge me if I ask a question you've already answered...at the price I'm prepared to shell out for this cage I want to be reassured I'm not making a mistake. If you'd address the following, I'd be very grateful:

1) Ease of set-up/teardown

2) Quality/durability of net and frame

3) Clearance required from net to outside fence

4) Utility vs. value/cost when considering 10'x10' vs. 12'x12' (I have an 11 year old)

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by marklaker View Post
              This post is directed at MUDVNINE wrt the Gourock Cage you linked to, or anyone else who may have experience with this model. I have a few questions I'd appreciate your thoughts on, and please indulge me if I ask a question you've already answered...at the price I'm prepared to shell out for this cage I want to be reassured I'm not making a mistake. If you'd address the following, I'd be very grateful:

1) Ease of set-up/teardown

2) Quality/durability of net and frame

3) Clearance required from net to outside fence

4) Utility vs. value/cost when considering 10'x10' vs. 12'x12' (I have an 11 year old)

Thanks in advance!

Mark
              forget the10 x 10 its an odd size and IF your having BOTH rights and leftys hit you'll find the 10 foot wide cage to narrow in my opinion..eventually you'll probably want to build some batting boxes out of plywood and astro turf so you can use the cage when normally the batters boxes would puddle out..go for the 12 footer

go for a better quality poly net thats treated..if your boys 10 and you take care of it IT should last him into HS

tearing these down every season can be a pain..I opted for frames that push pin together they cost about 100 bucks per frame,,you'll need 4 ..they are clean looking versus the homemade ones and snap in and out with ease.
              Last edited by wogdoggy; 02-13-2009, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Trend Sports Cages?

Anyone have experience with the Trend Sports Xtender portable batting cages, or know of anyone who does? Please share your thoughts if you do. Thanks!

http://www.trendsports.com/products....atting%20Cages
                Last edited by marklaker; 03-12-2009, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekD View Post

Email sent. Nothing too fancy...just the basic principle.

Comment

Im rebuilding mine this weekend

i use it for golf wiffle practise, so dont expect anything to fancy from me

Comment

interested as well. How much is shipping?
                      Originally posted by marklaker View Post
                      Anyone have experience with the Trend Sports Xtender portable batting cages, or know of anyone who does? Please share your thoughts if you do. Thanks!

http://www.trendsports.com/products....atting%20Cages

Comment

Originally posted by callyjr View Post
                        I built one one for about 150.00, but my father supplied the netting. the extra cost of netting would only be a couple hundred dollars at a commercial fishing store.

I used 8 20 feet 2 inch PVC pipe, glued 2 of them together for 4 supports. Used 8 5 or 6 foot fence posts, put them a foot to a foot and a half into the ground. you then put one end on the fence pole with 2 or 3 others helping bend the other end to get it on up. Had it up for a year now.

I'll post a pic later.

Cally
                        I would love to see a picture of the that. Thanks everyone for all the advice. If anyone can post a picture or more details these low cost nets I would appreciate it.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X