Coaches being mean! Opposite Teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaches being mean! Opposite Teams

Some of you may be surprised. But, yes! I actually had some coaches be mean to me a couple of times. Yes, you read right. I said mean.

One coach complained that my kids (12yo) were intentionally trying to hurt his kids.

Another, screamed out to me to make sure I did NOT hit one of his kids with the ball in the field.

Is there a professional way of handling these scenarious and still maintain your integrity?

thanks for your ideas!

As a parent, I watch and observe things that the coach's do. I have only seen a coach(the opposing team) yell and scold the children on his team. This coach was this way from tee ball and coach pitch. I have witnessed this coach for 3 years doing this. I have heard many comments from parents and it is very noticible. The comments I heard was that the parents wouldnt want their children playing on his team because he is contantly screaming.
    Ironically, this year, he was mellow. Apparently, the little league has broken up his all-star team. (He has two teams, one with all the good players and one with beginners).
    Word went around that parents on his team where threatening him about not playing their children because he broke up the all-star team. They were angry because their children cannot play on that special team.
    When I talk special, I mean SPECIAL! They had huge banners of their team. All the parents were wearing the same jerseys as the children and come out in force. They had a cheering section with parents and little chidren.
    This year, nothing even close to that. It became normal like all the other teams that we played.
    Maybe the parents have alot to do with what and how the coach reacts?

Other than that, I havent seen any coaches get mean.

Comment

The most professional thing you can do is ignore it and walk away.

Comment

Originally posted by TG Coach View Post
        The most professional thing you can do is ignore it and walk away.
        If he is yelling needlessly at my kids, I am NOT walking away. ******* coaches like that take the fun away and drive kids to other sports.
        See ball, hit ball.

Comment

If you are an inexperianced coach and still many experianced coaches get a life altering event in the middle of the game.......

They turn into a girl.

By that I mean the coaches become very emotional, and actions become illogical. Jugdement is based of the rollercoaster of adrenaline pumping through your system as you lead your kid and a group of families ( families not kids) to victory. The wins and the highs are way up. Jumping, danceing, cheering, telling the ump he's good looking. But losing and the lows are much worse, Anger, defending self worth, mistrust of the ump and others. So, some crazy things spill out.

This is not an excuse. But it is a reallity and you will have to deal with it, plan for it, smooth it over. It may be a pain in the butt for you to make a first move. But in the big picture you know its the right move. Just dont make the second move of making things worse. Just ignore the punk.

I mainly base this judgement after letting my 2 assist coach dads, head coach a few of my basetball games for me. U11 kids. The 2 assistant coaches really got emotional during the 1 hour basketball game.
          Last edited by LAball; 04-19-2008, 12:48 AM.

Comment

call the cops, if they are being mean to kids

drill
            Yogi Berra was asked by a reporter "How do you catch a knuckle ball?" He came right back and said "When it stops rolling"

Comment

My husband had a very effective approach to guys like this. He would call time, approch the other coach and say "Look, winning this local 8U (or whatever the age) game is obviously way more important to you and your life than it is to me. So let's do this, you win. My team will forfeit this game; you get to win. We can send the umpire home, and then just let the kids play for fun. They'll all have more fun and learn more without all the yelling."

The three or four times this happened, the opposing coach would bluster a bit, walk away muttering to himself, and allow the game to continue without any more nonsense.

Often it's just a matter of reminding the grown up to behave like an adult.
              Last edited by epic; 04-19-2008, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by epic View Post
                My husband had a very effective approach to guys like this. He would call time, approch the other coach and say "Look, winning this local 8U (or whatever the age) game is obviously way more important to you and your life than it is to me. So let's do this, you win. My team will forfeit this game; you get to win. We can send the umpire home, and then just let the kids play for fun. They'll all have more fun and learn more without all the yelling."

The three or four times this happened, the opposing coach would bluster a bit, walk away muttering to himself, and allow the game to continue without any more nonsense.

Often it's just a matter of reminding the grown up to behave like an adult.
                I know a coach that would have no problem taking your forfeit. He is a win at all cost coach. He actually tried to get a forfeit over a registration fee issue in a 10U game at a rec league. He also has a problem of getting into umpires faces. He is not allowed to coach in our league any more.
                Last edited by Baseball gLove; 04-19-2008, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseball gLove View Post
                  I know a coach that would have no problem taking your forfeit. He is a win at all cost coach. He actually tried to get forfeit over a registration fee issue in a 10U game at a rec league. He also has a problem of getting into umpires faces. He is not allowed to coach in our league any more.
                  Obviously, that guy has problems that go deeper than the inability to deal with the adrenaline pumping. Most guys just need a reality check; he probably needed some sort of help dealing with mental/emotional issues that didn't have anything to do with baseball. A guy like that needs to have a league official around to remove him from the facility when he starts to lose control.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilliesPhan22 View Post
                    If he is yelling needlessly at my kids, I am NOT walking away. ******* coaches like that take the fun away and drive kids to other sports.
                    You tell your kids to ignore it and report it to the league.

Comment

We had out #9 batter up today with a tight game and the other teams 2nd pitcher. The other picher was throwing balls, so their coach shouts out loud, "He's afraid of you, he's stepping out." We could here it accross the field. My head coach at third base, put up his hand and just waved him off and the game just went on. Though thier pitcher shot it right down the pipe and our batter was K'd.

Comment

Somewhere in the Little League Handbook is a rule that says coaches are not allowed to speak to the opposing team's players when on the field. Whenever I was a base coach I kept that rule in mind. But some coaches try to "intimidate" or get into the heads of the 8-year old kids on the opposing team.

Whenever you notice five or six of your players looking over at the opposing coach when they ought to be concentrating on the play in front of them you know that coach has succeeded in disrupting your team. I think it's a bullying tactic and needs to be addressed by your league.

My daughter's softball team once played against a team coached by a woman who was a HS physical ed teacher. I pitched to our girls with this coach standing ten feet behind me making not so subtle remarks about our players and me the entire game. I ignored her but our players tensed up during these games. After our team finished in first place, she arranged a post-season tournament (which her team won of course) in order to hand out trophies to her players at the banquet. This was U8 softball.
                        "He's tougher than a railroad sandwich."
                        "You'se Got The Eye Of An Eagle."

Comment

You guys would have loved the college game I attended Friday. The opposing coach waked up to the first baseman and said, "I ought to kill you" Then he went into the opposing dugout after the pitcher.

The dad said he'd report it to the AD but the coach is the AD. He's sending an email to the president of the university and the trustees. The coach has been getting away with this stuff for years. However this time he should have remembered his team's games are now webcast. The dad is hoping the webcast was running between innings.

Now as for playing for this coach. What would you think of your coach if he left the dugout not to return in disgust because you're getting hammered in a doubleheader (after having a 7-0 lead in the first game) and swept in the series?

He also didn't do the handshake line once in the series. I have no issue with coaches not doing the handshake line every game. But they should do the last game of the series.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X