Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Games in a row by a HS catcher

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Games in a row by a HS catcher

    I'm still getting used to the decisions made by HS coaches. Some I have gotten used to and agree with over time, and some that I can't figure out yet. For example out catcher. He caught a long game on Friday and both games of a double header on Saturday. After the first game of the double header he legs were dead and he mentioned it to the coaches so they would know. They weren't mean about it but basically told him to suck it up. I could see during the second game he didn't block wide as well as he could, his throws were high and slower, etc. Basically his mechanic were sloppy due to his legs.


    Freshman ball if that matters. We don't have a real backup catcher but there are kids who have done it before. My largest concern is that there is a certain point where injury is more of a concern then creating a weak spot behind the plate.

  • #2
    Originally posted by CoachHenry View Post
    I'm still getting used to the decisions made by HS coaches. Some I have gotten used to and agree with over time, and some that I can't figure out yet. For example out catcher. He caught a long game on Friday and both games of a double header on Saturday. After the first game of the double header he legs were dead and he mentioned it to the coaches so they would know. They weren't mean about it but basically told him to suck it up. I could see during the second game he didn't block wide as well as he could, his throws were high and slower, etc. Basically his mechanic were sloppy due to his legs.


    Freshman ball if that matters. We don't have a real backup catcher but there are kids who have done it before. My largest concern is that there is a certain point where injury is more of a concern then creating a weak spot behind the plate.

    By no means am I trying to mean about this either, but that's where your preseason training comes in... catchers need to be running, running, running, running and every now and again do some more running in preseason so they can do that sort of thing. I don't know about at the freshman level, because you would think you would want to develop more than one catcher, but at the varsity and collegiate level... catchers are expected to be able to handle the heat, like it or not. Again I am not trying to sound mean, just voicing my opinion. To answer your question if your son just goes and tells the coach he has dead legs then the coaches aren't really going to jump to the conclusion injury will happen, he will have to be more dramatic.

    Comment


    • #3
      And what I am trying to accomplish is getting used to HS ball and how they do things in general. If that's normal, then I'm ok with it. If it isn't, well then it isn't.

      All the innings he caught were in long games. Freshman ball (out of jv and varsity) can go long due to lack of good pitching, etc. It so happened that Friday's and the first game on Saturday were verrrryyy long, maybe equivilent to three normal games. Maybe not that much but close.

      Comment


      • #4
        Catching both games of a doubleheader without rest is a bit rough, but the catcher should be able to go every day without fatigue concerns like CoachHenry said.
        Owner of Driveline Baseball - Seattle, WA

        Comment


        • #5
          My 12 yo caught his 1st ever double Saturday, and was one tired pup afterwards. He wasn't even sore the next day, except for the ankle he hurt sliding into second during the first game. Ah, to be young and skinny again.....

          Comment


          • #6
            Catching both games of a double header is unusual, but I had to do it several times because our other catcher in high school had mental problems and would bicker with umpires alot. So we would have 2 seven inning games and I would often end up catching the entire first game, and then the last six innings of the second game.

            Comment


            • #7
              make sure that your kid wears knee savers, they really make a difference. i've always worn them, until very recently (I'm not sure why) and my knees become very fatiged, much more quickly and i have less energy the next day.

              as for consecutive games, you should definitely be able to catch everyday in baseball or college. doubleheaders however, blur things. Most catchers will not be asked to catch consecutive double headers or even both ends of a double header if it is surrounded by a whole bunch of other weekly games. 2-3 games over a weekend is the norm for most catchers, 4 is a rarity.

              Comment


              • #8
                #2 position is a thankless job.

                People just don't realize what a catcher goes through until they have a son that catches and sees all the bruises from blocking. Don't say he needs to learn how to block better, he has been tauted as a good blocker. One day the coach ask him to catch for some infeild practice. He ran out and the coach said don't worry about your equipment. Well he forgot he did not have his chest protector on and block one in the chest. The coach look at my son and smiled and said good block. He just grined to, why, because he loves the position. Its where the action is, and the catchers work together on the team to the point its a non competitive position. Its more like its your turn, now do your best.

                Had a pitcher who does not pitch much tell my son he was not holding his glove down enough. LOL he was holding so low it was almost in the dirt and he had to stand up to catch some of his pitches. This is coming from a frustrated sophomore who hardly gets playing time. Poor guy, all he needs to do is listen and respect the coach but from what I hear that is this kids mo.


                It just depends on your coach and the coaches knowledge base of his players of what the players can or cannot do, if the coach does not have the knowledge base don't give up just roll around on the ground if you are hurt till someone calls time out.


                drill
                Last edited by Drill; 04-22-2008, 07:20 AM.
                Yogi Berra was asked by a reporter "How do you catch a knuckle ball?" He came right back and said "When it stops rolling"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by kylebee View Post
                  Catching both games of a doubleheader without rest is a bit rough, but the catcher should be able to go every day without fatigue concerns like CoachHenry said.
                  Both games of the double header isn't the whole story, he also caught an entire game on Friday night. So that is three long games in a row. I know he can do it, but SHOULD he.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Mobcommish24 View Post
                    make sure that your kid wears knee savers, they really make a difference. i've always worn them, until very recently (I'm not sure why) and my knees become very fatiged, much more quickly and i have less energy the next day.

                    as for consecutive games, you should definitely be able to catch everyday in baseball or college. doubleheaders however, blur things. Most catchers will not be asked to catch consecutive double headers or even both ends of a double header if it is surrounded by a whole bunch of other weekly games. 2-3 games over a weekend is the norm for most catchers, 4 is a rarity.
                    I've had him wear them from the first day. He's been catching and instructed to properly (best I could do) catch from the age of 9.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      i think 3 in a row is ok. it would be better if he got some innings off, maybe a few at the end or beginning of some of the games, but 3 7's isn't too unreasonable. if he also had a game sunday or thursday then i'd say the most of a doubleheader he should be asked to catch is around 10, but if he had to go all 14, he should manage.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        It is hard catching in high school especially with our schedule. Last week we had game monday, game tuesday, doubleheader wednesday, thurs off, doubleheader friday, doubleheader sat morning. Luckily we have 3 catchers who are all pretty good.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm an old catcher who generally caught every inning of every game we played in 11-12 and 13-14 y/o ball, but never doubleheaders. I think it's pretty poor planning for a team to not have a decent backup catcher and to have a schedule like that. I'll bet the kid was tired.

                          Some kids are just born for the position and won't come out unless you yank 'em out. Still, if a kid says he's tired at that age, I think something more sympathetic than "suck it up" is called for. Some kids' knees are not designed for that kind of squatting and they'll pay for it if they overdo it. The coaches need to listen to the kid a little more carefully.
                          sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            We used to have two "starting" catchers. The JV lost their backup catcher and they came to my son and said "You can either go to JV and be the backup, or stay down at the freshmen level and play everyday." Playing everyday for him is catching, taking a turn in the pitching rotation, etc. When there were two catchers at freshmen he also played SS when the SS was pitching, etc. When the coaches spoke to him he chose to play everyday. They told him that was what they had already chosen for him but they wanted him to know that he was the first choice to move up but they would rather him get the day to day experience for the future. When my son pitches they bring down the other Freshmen catcher (backup on jv now) to catch him. That works out nicely.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I wouldn't worry about injuries, but it does seem like a lot to expect him to catch 3 games in less than 24 hours. But I'd take the coach's reactions as a compliment to your son. Obviously they think your son's a better catcher fatigued than the back-up would be rested.

                              Comment

                              Ad Widget

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X