Pepper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pepper

Does anyone play pepper anymore? What is everyones opinion of pepper?

Some guys on my team play it before every game.

Comment

Originally posted by Benny Blades View Post
      Does anyone play pepper anymore? What is everyones opinion of pepper?
      Haven't used it in years. Playing pepper for the sake of playing pepper never made sense to me. Not certain what value it has other than keeping players busy.
      "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
      - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
      Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

Can help with hand-eye coordination, but does nothing to develop a good swing.
        MAXX Training - the latest on sports training & athletic performance! www.maxxtraining.com

Comment

Hand-eye coordination, bunting skills, fun thing to do. I rarely see it anymore.

Comment

I have coached college, hs and litttle league and find it most useful for the younger kids. It is an awesome drill to help these kids:
            1. Keep their front shoulder down on the ball
            2. hand eye coordination
            3. Let the ball travel into the zone
            4. Use the hands and feel the hands being used (sorry no hands guys)
            *My team has improved their hitting because of this drill (along with a number of others). * When a kid is whiffing at BP and I tell him to think like pepper, he immediately gets back on track. But yo have to teach it the right way.

Keep in mind this is mainly a "hands" drill for those kids (and there are plenty) who do not use their hands at all in the swing. They use their arms, they bat drag.....by the way this drill is vg to combat bat drag.

Comment

Some venues don't allow it. I was at a minor league game (Salem Avalanche, AAA) about a year ago and the visiting team started a game of pepper in the outfield before the game. It started with 3 but eventually there were about 10 guys playing. One of the groundskeepers came out and made them stop. I guess it tears up the field pretty bad.

I always played pepper one on one with my dad when I was a kid, I'd never seen it played like that before. It was very competitive and some of the guys were really good at it. I realized later, once the game started, most of them were pitchers. The spot they chose was right in front of the bullpen.

Comment

I think one reason it isn't played anymore is that most places don't allow it and at the youth level when one games ends the next is getting ready to start. Not much down time to do it. We seemed to have more time before a game when I was in HS and that is when we did it. In the minors we could do it in some places and the others we couldn't. It usually seemed that the nicer the stadium, the less likely we could play pepper.

Comment

Maybe another way to guide this thread is to ask how do you play pepper and how do you teach it?
                  "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                  - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                  Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

If you have limited time, I teach 2-man pepper in practice...that way you can get a lot of pepper in a short amount of time. As a pre-game drill...before everyone arrives, you can make it more fun and have 3-5 involved. This keeps the guys loose for the game. One hitter and the rest 15 feet away in a line...one fielder throws overhand to batter. We played it a lot in college and the rules got pretty crazy...but fun.. Our rules were something like this:

1. Fielder on right is king
                    2. Fielder on left is low man.
                    3. If batter swings and misses, he goes to field at low man spot, king comes to hit.
                    4. One free foul
                    5. Any ball hit in air that is caught, the catcher goes to hit..batter to low man spot.
                    6. If there is an fielding error, the batter points (with his elbow) to whmoever he says made the error and that man goes to low man position. If the batter forgets to use his elbow to point, he is out and to low man spot.
                    7. A bad pitch by a fielder and he is sent to low man spot.
                    *Once in a while, the batter would be on a roll and we couldn't get him out...so we would huddle up and all put our fists in our glove so he didn't know who had the ball and then all make the throwing motion to the batter. He didn't know where the ball was coming from and often missed it and had to go to the field.
                    *We would also play "flip" when we got bored of regular pepper..when the ball came to you, you had to flip it up to another fielder with your glove. If you messed up, you went to the end of the line.

I could go on and on....It was a lot of fun.

Comment

The guys I saw played by those rules, except when they flipped the ball the idea was to catch another player napping. If they hit another player with the ball he became low man. If it was caught, I think the guy who flipped it became low man but I can't remember. It got pretty crazy. A lot of times the player would try to dodge the ball so it hit the guy next to him, or flip it again.

Comment

I think pepper can be as fun as flip but then again both don't achieve much .... yes they use hand eye cordination but lets face it you are better off hitting whiffle balls which come close to a real situation than playing flip or pepper for anything but fun. I think some little leagues do not allow pepper either due to tearing up field (probably not) or the fact that it could be dangerous if kids joke around.
                        “If there was ever a man born to be a hitter it was me.” - Ted Williams
                        "Didn't come up here to read. Came up here to hit." - Hank Aaron

Comment

We always used pepper in college as our coach was big believer. The goal was to hit line drives, not grounders. If you hit 10 in a row the coach bought you a steak dinner. Not bad for broke college kids. Anyway, while not my most fun baseball-related activity at the time, our hitters had very good bat control. Which, I believe, is a lost art. I believe pepper contributed to this to some extent, but just how much I'm not sure.
                          www.BaseballTrainingSecrets.com

Comment

It only takes one jackass to suddenly get cute and crush the ball and hurt someone. I've never seen someone get hurt but I've seen a few funny fellas smack the ball. Only luck kept someone from taking one.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X