Disconnection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disconnection

With many of my HS hitters this is one of their biggest flaws. They seem to start their hands way early and then disconnect and lock out their lead arm and swing with their shoulders. How do you teach your kids to stay connected all the way to contact???

Thank you,
    Coach W

Englishbey's drills.

Comment

CoachW,

Mike Epstein drill work with the bat against the rear deltoid is a great way to begin to learn staying connected. "Hips lead the way" , "hips first" , "wind the rubber band" are big Epstein teaching points as well. When I went entirely with Epstein stuff with a few modifications, my HS team had the best success, especially with home runs and extra base hits. And I find it easier to teach in a team setting.

I made the mistake of drifting away from it for a few years as I tried Englishbey stuff, but we went downhill fast. Now I'm trying to incorporate more Epstein/Ted Williams drill work and concepts. Good luck!

www.mikeepsteinhitting.com

Mike

Comment

I asked Epstein, in person, how he transitions hitters away from the bat on the deltoid. He hesitated, thought a moment, and said, some hitters never do transition away from it. I thought that was odd and rather telling. In any case, placing the bat on the deltoid is not addressing connection in my view but rather taking the question off the table while working on rotation (dang sure ain't tip n rip is it). A useful idea sometimes but then I have to say my view is Epstein's rotation model is flawed IMO as it doesn't take into account Epstein's own dictum of "Do we teach what we see?". Epstein doesn't teach the posture I see in the following clips. http://imageevent.com/siggy/hitting/...lcp2i01.lion_s

I also asked him what he thought about top hand torque. He thought poorly of it.

Opinions vary.

Comment

Opinions vary.
          They sure do. And we do agree on one thing. Bat on deltoid is not tip and rip.

Mike Epstein may or may not like top hand torque, but he does believe in hand torquing of the bat handle as the hitter gets the hands flat early.

As I pointed out, a few modifications or points of emphais are needed with Mike's work. One of them is making sure to get off the backside at contact. Other than that, he does teach tilt - not simply tilt at the waist but also lateral tilt. But you already knew that.

Bat on deltoid does involve staying connected to the turning torso, while at the same time working on separation and rotation.

Mike

Comment

How about this???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Byuht5bfR20
            See ball, hit ball.

Comment

Chris Yeager.

Chris Yeager's "maintaining lead arm extension" will prevent premature disconnection.

http://www.dryeagersbaseball.com/products.asp

Comment

FiveFrame,

Good reference...I like Yeager's stuff, too.

Mike

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X