skills needed to play 1st

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• skills needed to play 1st

I play baseball for my highschool team and am really slow in running and throwing but have a good arm from the outfield, and can judge balls most of the time except im not gonna get a chance in the outfield cuz all of our outfielders are very fast. Anyway our 1st baseman on varsity is graduating and i'd only have to beat out a freshman which shouldnt be hard cuz im faster than him, he is fat, and he cant hit well, I am the starting DH on my varsity team but thats all I do is hit, im a good hitter but im too slow to play the field and I choke at 3rd... help? also whats the average stats of a D2 1st baseman? I was thinkin about 5'11-6'3 190lbs-230lbs? I just want to start next year on varsity hitting and fielding.

READ::: for all you sayin im trying to do it all, im not im just trying to get into the varsity starting lineup, and first seems like the only available spot, seniors will be play short, 2nd, 3rd, CF, and a very good non replacable freshman in LF, so its either Right or 1st.
    2008 varsity stats
    AB-35 K-5 BB-6 H-14 2B-3 3B-0 HR-0 RBI-10 BA- .400
    all stars pitching stats--- W-L= 1-0
    IP- 5 H- 1 BB- 2 HR- 0 ER- 0 K- 8 ERA: 0.00

Make sure you do a lot of stretching (back, lower torso).

Maybe you can find videos of Kent Hrbek and watch how he plays first base.

Comment

James ... Focus on winning the high school first base position before you focus on college ball. College first baseman are usually mashers who can hit the ball out of sight or other position players who can hit but can beat out another player.

Ryan Flaherty of Vanderbilt was an All-American shortstop as a sophomore. He's projected to go in the first three rounds of the draft this year. He played first as a freshman. He couldn't beat out the current shortstop at the time. But he could hit. He was a Freshman All-American. Vanderbilt's current first baseman Andrew Giobbi was recruited as a catcher but couldn't beat out another catcher. But he can hit. You better be a masher if first is your position if you want to play college ball.

Comment

You need to be able to do the front splits.

If you wana run faster, play soccor, the bigger the field the better, with less people

Comment

First basemen definitely need to be flexibile, good at short hops, ability to jump somewhat in case you are shorter than the throw thats all I can really think of. What about catcher too? I mean if you are a stocky kid but not necessarily tall it might be a good spot. Colleges generally want a first basemen who is tall but I have seen some smaller ones before.
          “If there was ever a man born to be a hitter it was me.” - Ted Williams
          "Didn't come up here to read. Came up here to hit." - Hank Aaron

Comment

im 5'8" 160lbs so not really stocky. anyway my vertical is about 12" bad I know, and Im not really flexible, I do catch currently and the coach says im good but the other coach wont let me catch in a game cuz he says i need to learn to get on my knees for blocks, and also he said I have to learn to call and I call good, he got mad cuz I dont call curveballs for this one kid on our team, he's a lefty throws about 65 and has a great change at around 50. so I call fastballs in and out, and low, then ill throw in a few changes and it works great for this kid, he does not throw a curveball and has personally told me not to call it cuz he dont have faith in it.
            2008 varsity stats

Comment

he's a lefty throws about 65 and has a great change at around 50

This is high school varsity! Wow! It looks like 7th grade velocity. Our high school takes BP at higher speed.

Comment

Catcher

Big and slow you say? Get to a catching camp, start jumping rope, learn to hit left handed, and learn to play catcher.

Comment

Originally posted by TG Coach View Post
                  he's a lefty throws about 65 and has a great change at around 50

This is high school varsity! Wow! It looks like 7th grade velocity. Our high school takes BP at higher speed.

c team actually, I only catch there because of the reason I dont call curves, he is 13. besides that I throw like 65 and im 15.
                  2008 varsity stats

Comment

Originally posted by jamesh23 View Post
                    im 5'8" 160lbs so not really stocky. anyway my vertical is about 12" bad I know, and Im not really flexible, I do catch currently and the coach says im good but the other coach wont let me catch in a game cuz he says i need to learn to get on my knees for blocks, and also he said I have to learn to call and I call good, he got mad cuz I dont call curveballs for this one kid on our team, he's a lefty throws about 65 and has a great change at around 50. so I call fastballs in and out, and low, then ill throw in a few changes and it works great for this kid, he does not throw a curveball and has personally told me not to call it cuz he dont have faith in it.
                    James, I'm sorry, but please learn to use complete sentences. It's hard to understand what your saying.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X