X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bigdaddy
    replied
    Loren,

Good story! The more converts the better. Fastpitch will only improve if the hitters begin to catch up with the pitchers.

Keith

Leave a comment:

• LClifton
    replied
    Scott,
    4 yrs ago I was at Candrea's clinic. She was hitting great! I too noticed this 2 years ago in Palm Springs (while with the Olympic team) that she seemed much less effective. I had her on video taking BP and it was awesome (4 yrs ago)...Don't know what happened.
    I have a hunch, Scott remember when we spoke about "live arm" pitching?
    Well she got to hit daily off of Nancy Evans, may have something to do with it.???

She is an amazing athlete and I hope she "finds" it again.

Big Daddy,
    I like how you teach your daughter. This is exactly what happened to mine last year during high school ball and she had similar instructions (from me) to be respectful...and yes most will end up doing the things you describe. I like your style.

Gotta tell this story real quick,
    This year's high school coach wanted to talk about hitting. We've spent some time together talking and she explained to me the way she was taught. (very similar to bigdaddy's description) Swing down, hands to the ball, weight back etc. She brought her daughter (11 yrs old) over and I had the privilege of working with her a few times,,,,,One of the first things she worked on with the high school team this year--------Posture and the box,,,,,,,,,Can you believe it???

Keep it up guys, keep it up.

Sincerely,
    LClifton

Leave a comment:

• bigdaddy
    replied
    How in the world can a swing that was so good go so bad so quickly???

I understand that she may have gotten poor coaching, but doesn't she realize what's happening?

When my DD gets BAD advice/coaching...
    I tell her to look her coach in the eye, listen carefully to his advice, say yes sir when he's done...THEN do exactly what she was doing BEFORE!

You CAN'T listen and implement EVERY piece of coaching advise otherwise ALL of our DD's would be ELBOW UP BUG SQUISHERS THROWING THEIR HANDS AT THE BALL WHILE THEY SWING DOWN HITTERS!!!

Keith

Leave a comment:

• ssarge
    replied
    Maybe Candrea knows a couple of things and keeps them on the right track while playing for him.
    If he does - and he may - he's hiding it from Jung. Her recent swings are horrible. Not even close to the monster she was 2 years ago in D1 (a skinny little girl leading the country in HRs and sporting a 1.03 Slug).

She has been my favorite hitter. Now I can't even watch. I was standing 10 feet away from her at a clinic in Arizona, and it was all I could do not to scream "STOP IT!! Stop it RIGHT NOW!!"

The college swing Mark linked looks great. However, the clip in RVP IS representative of today's reality. In fact, bear in mind that was the swing Slaught decided to INCLUDE in the package. Wow.

Man, I'd love to get a day w/ her. Or have Mark. Or better yet, Steve. Because I'm telling you, 2 years ago she was phenomenal, and she could be again.

Best,

Scott

Leave a comment:

• Mark H
    replied
    Lot of those female swings in the Right View package are pretty ugly. I guess you've seen Jsiggy's female site? Nice collection.

http://imageevent.com/siggy/hitting/olympic

Leave a comment:

• ShawnB
    replied
    Mark H,

That is a very good swing to show posture and swing plane. Thanks I will be using this with the girls to show them a girl doing it right.

The funny thing is the clip of her in right view pro from the Pro league, shows her taking a terrible swing. She is swinging down at a pitch down. Maybe Candrea knows a couple of things and keeps them on the right track while playing for him.

Leave a comment:

• LClifton
    replied
    frame counting

Originally posted by lclifton
    And so,,,,,you start counting, when?
    Ray, when do you start counting frames ? You know, the topic here....or are you quitting?

LClifton

Leave a comment:

• Ohfor
    replied
    Adam Sandler, Jack Nicholson, and Porkchop could make a good movie.

I suggest they call it "Anger Management".

Leave a comment:

• Mark H
    replied
    This isn't a street fight and the bigger man would stop first.

Leave a comment:

• dannyboy
    replied
    i recall.
    and you quit.
    ever been in a street fight richie? no. 1 is don't stop.

Leave a comment:

• Mark H
    replied
    Originally posted by bigdaddy
    I like foot and/or heel plant.

Keith
    Valid for tracking progress with most hitters but then you get one like this.

http://home.mindspring.com/~rmk/Jungawayslow.mpg

Leave a comment:

• LClifton
    replied
    counting consistently

Originally posted by dannyboy
    It may be different for different observers, but it must be consistent, for the individual observer, and really should be for all observers for discussion with others. And this point is very different than "check".
    And so,,,,,you start counting, when?

LClifton

Leave a comment:

• bigdaddy
    replied
    I like foot and/or heel plant. Again, as long as you use the SAME starting point for that particular hitter, then you can see if they are imroving.

Keith

Leave a comment:

• hiddengem
    replied
    Originally posted by Ohioteamz
    If you are using the typical 30 fps we see on the net, I am trying to figure out what the universal measurement is for frames to contact. When we say a guy is a 5 frame to contact hitter, is that implying 5 frames from the first movement forward? I assume we ignore any hitch, or positioning the hitter is doing with their hands to get to launch position.

His first movement down and in toward the ball is where I start.

Leave a comment:

• Ohfor
    replied
    Originally posted by dannyboy
    Ohfor,

you may be right. mea culpa.
    i've noticed you trying to be nice, here (moreso than what i have normally seen, elsewhere).
    i can be rude. so can you.
    i once held out an olive branch to a mutual acquaintance and it was thrown in my face. i extend one to you now.
    i really do think that if we both try and be civil we can have some interesting and hopefully helpful discussions. even help each other. not smart-asses. i will take that attitude, if you do. i mean that.
    i mean that.
    More evidence.

Ray's definition of olive branch:....."If they disagree with you mf them and threaten them."

Now, I've done the same thing. I just don't call it an olive branch.

Yes, you did offer one of those.

If you recall Ray, you were having troubles getting along at setpro. You asked to maintain an email relationship with me. I said sure. I disagreed on the first issue you brought up and you went ballistic.

Your effort lasted one email.
    Last edited by Ohfor; 03-08-2006, 09:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X