Get 'yer elbow up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get 'yer elbow up

Here is one that is debated ad nauseum. It seems the internet boards are full of everyone talking about how this "get yer elbow up" is bad advice from well meaning dad's and green coaches.

However it seems to me that if you look at MLB hitters there are plenty who do. Also Steve E. speaks about not so much sticking up the elbow, but that if there is a good distance between the hand and elbow, you are likely to have less of a chance for bat drag.

I think there is a real difference between a kid sticking it way up in the air, and just having a natural extension away from the wrist to prevent premature tucking. I guess my point is that telling people to relax the elbow seems like no better advice if we are trying to create an MLB swing.

Out of the hitters I see on this page (from the right angle) I only see Mauer and Clemente with a relaxed elbow. Page 2 Michael Young's might be relaxed, and Texiera, is somewhat as well. Still there are no absolute's in this area.

I like it up and back around behind the body. The more you disable the top hand the more likely you will connect bottom hand to weight shift. Also the more likely you can come out in a circular path.

I tell kids that preload some just to get it out of the way. You DO NOT WANT THE TOP HAND to get tight and pull on the handle. Feel the shoulder muscles pinch and lift it back with a relaxed top hand.

I do see many rear elbows up that are up the wrong way with the wrong muscles working

Comment

Originally posted by swingbuster

I tell kids that preload some just to get it out of the way. You DO NOT WANT THE TOP HAND to get tight and pull on the handle. Feel the shoulder muscles pinch and lift it back with a relaxed top hand.
      Assuming you agree the connection is primarily through the bottom hand, why not load that which you want to unload rather than focusing on loading that which you wish to deemphasize ie, the top hand? Both hands are on the bat so loading one puts the other in the same place.

Comment

I get that feel through prelaunch torque or BHUT ( bottom hand under top) tired of typing it as you are reading it.

I can feel the top hand rear elbow more active until the bat begins to flatten and then it is all bottom hand. Don't know why??

Comment

Swingbuster said: I like it up and back around behind the body. The more you disable the top hand the more likely you will connect bottom hand to weight shift. Also the more likely you can come out in a circular path.

I do see many rear elbows up that are up the wrong way with the wrong muscles working
          I had to respond here because I think this is the first post of Swingbuster's that I understood all the way through and, with Mark H.'s noted objection, tend to agree with. Not that it's going to make his day or anything.

Ohio, one of the beautiful things about a good rotational swing is that it takes a few issues out of the equation. If you're swing linearly, you have to really focus on grip and rear elbow issues. But, a topnotch, major league level swing that focuses on rotation and connection with the bottom hand/arm renders less critical what the rear elbow is doing, so long as it stays out of the way, helps the load, and gets to the "power L" in time. So, I don't think there's a universal answer to where the rear elbow should be.

I think that messing with that elbow may be a handy emergency tool for coaches to try to correct some other facet (such as bad swing plane) of a kid's swing in mid-season. Trying to adjust something in the middle of a kid's swing is tough to do. Telling him where to put his elbow at launch is a far easier "pre-set" to instruct a kid in.
          sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

Comment

If I drop my elbow when throwing it always hurts.
            Born True Blue

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X