Low Ball Hitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Ball Hitting

Coaches, I was wondering how you would instruct one of your players who golf-swings at the low-pitches and they either pop right up or dribble off the bat.

Just looking to hear some opinions

Thanks,
    -Donovan

Originally posted by caseyd123 View Post
    Coaches, I was wondering how you would instruct one of your players who golf-swings at the low-pitches and they either pop right up or dribble off the bat.

Just looking to hear some opinions

Thanks,
    -Donovan
    Here's how Ted demonstrates it...
    Ted Williams Low pitch.jpg
    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
    - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

ahh yes, i have that book...love it. so basically after my stride, as i see the pitch is low in elevation, i bend my back knee more so that i can keep the rest of my swing the same?

Comment

http://imageevent.com/siggy/hitting/...lcp2i01.lion_s
        Perhaps this link will help.

Just reviewed ten swings on my hard drive by Ted including some low ball locations and his front knee was straight or close in all of them unlike this drawing. Back knee differences in flexion were minor.

Comment

thanks mark thats really cool. one question, what's the hinge-bat for?

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
            Here's how Ted demonstrates it...
            Ted's back knee dip idea is completely logical, but it's not what pro hitters actually do.

Compare Pujols' back knee angle on both of these home run swings...

What they do is this...

For more examples of tilt see...

- http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/...ples/Tilt.html
            Hitting Coordinator for Harris-Stowe State University in St. Louis.

I also work with the pitchers who are dealing with injury problems.

Comment

I don't like the back knee drop at all. I'm sure it worked for Ted but I don't think it's for the masses. I prefer to teach body tilt. It's less body movement and it's quicker to adjust to the pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by CoachHenry View Post
                I don't like the back knee drop at all. I'm sure it worked for Ted but I don't think it's for the masses. I prefer to teach body tilt. It's less body movement and it's quicker to adjust to the pitch.
                As Mark states, it may be what Ted THOUGHT he did, but it's not what Ted ACTUALLY did.

Comment

thanks mark thats really cool. one question, what's the hinge-bat for?
                  This relates to Adair's rock on a rope analogy. If you connect rotation to the bat well the bat head on the medicus bat swings with the rest of the bat. Fail to connect and it flops around. Haven't used the medicus bat but I've done the same thing swinging a heavy rope or Englishbey's ball in a sock.

Comment

so I'm thinking the Tee would be the best way to work on tilting with the low pitch...am i right?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
                      As Mark states, it may be what Ted THOUGHT he did, but it's not what Ted ACTUALLY did.
                      Ah. Yes that is fairly common. I'm sure we have all seen or heard players talk about what they did but when you see video it's something different. Very insightful stuff.

Comment

so I'm thinking the Tee would be the best way to work on tilting with the low pitch...am i right?
                        I'd do two things. First, the tee. Can't beat that for most stuff. Second, have a person sitting behind an L-screen about 15 feet away and throw some crisp pitches inside. After a few rounds of that have them start randomly pitching low and inside, low and outside, normal, etc. Basically hit all the spots but more to the location you are working on.

I use the tee and L-screen together and like the combo.

Comment

I like a Hit-N-Stick.

Most tees are too tall to work on low pitches unless you cut them down.

Comment

ahh yes, i have that book...love it. so basically after my stride, as i see the pitch is low in elevation, i bend my back knee more so that i can keep the rest of my swing the same?
                            By that time your perception and adjustment should be well under way.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach Henry
                              I use the tee and L-screen together and like the combo.
                              Yes sir...this is the routine we use as well.
                              Front toss / tee (back and forth as necessary).

I do have a tee that I cut down for the tee work.
                              I also have used the really short "traffic" cones.

On most kids (the cut off tee) it is below the knees.
                              That may be a little extreme but it sure makes a pitch at or just above the knees seem really "reachable" to them.

One of the keys to hitting the low pitch, for us, has been to work on both on inside and outside locations as Coach Henry has already stated.

It is pretty amazing the capabilities of the body to move in a good (better) fashion----meaning-- when given a task instead of focusing toooooo much on the exact "how" the kids seem to respond.

Question,
                              Coach Henry, Mark, Chris, anyone,,,,
                              When working on the low ball do you have a ball flight that you are looking to achieve?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X