8yr old pitching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8yr old pitching

Let me start by saying i am glad i stumbled across this very informative site. My son is 8 & playing in his 3rd year of kid pitch ball. He took some lessons over the winter to help with his mechanics, dad can only teach him so much. Terms he learned in his finishing motion were merry go round bringing his arm across his chest & the instructor wanted him to finish more like a ferris wheel finishing down by his knee/calf on 1st base side. He play rec ball & TB part time at 8 & will more than likely play TB full time at 9. I recently began to tape his pitching & put it on DVD so i could slow it down and watch his motion which helps a ton over the naked eye & have noticed at times he doesn't follow through and finishes pointing at the catcher & other times he goes back to the merry go round type finish & rarely does he get the correct bend at the waist & finish on his side. In watching the tapes it appears this all stems from how his right leg comes through if it comes through strait his arm stops pointing at the catcher. If he does bend his leg & his waste slightly he comes across his chest. Ever so rarely he bends nicely & his leg comes through at a good angle & actually looks like a pitcher. We count his pitches as well as innings & he never pitches on Saturday before a TB game where he has been starting. He throws harder than all the rec pitchers & harder than 90% of the TB kids but we need to continue working on his mechanics as to protect his arm. I am trying to figure out how to post video so anyone can comment on what they see as to help him with the correct motion. Thanks for any comments & i am glad i found this awesome site. Bill

How the back leg comes through is not a cause of anything but rather a result of things that happen earlier in the delivery. If your son's back leg comes through differently from pitch to pitch then that implies there are some inconsistencies earlier in the delivery. Can't comment much beyond that without seeing video.

Comment

Agreed. However at times you can do things with the leg kick and it might help what happens earlier. Put a bucket where his leg should kick over. If he doesn't kick over his leg will hit the bucket. Then show him what he has to do to make sure he kicks over the bucket. See if working on that part of the motion resolves some things that come before.

Comment

"He throws harder than all the rec pitchers & harder than 90% of the TB kids"

Who cares! Every kid I know who was the hard thrower at 9U and 10U flamed out by high school. Third year of kid pitch by eight years old is absurd. I don't know how my son ever became a high school pitcher. I wasn't analyzing his pitching in 8U. Why? He wasn't pitching yet. He was playing 7/8 machine pitch rec ball. He didn't play travel on a regular basis until 13U.

I'm wondering if this is a troll pulling our legs for reaction. Are there really 8U dads this insane?
        Last edited by TG Coach; 05-10-2008, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TG Coach View Post
          Every kid I know who was the hard thrower at 9U and 10U flamed out by high school. Third year of kid pitch by eight years old is absurd.
          I am uncertain whether or not this is a legitimate request for help or not, if so, I would have to agree with TG. The best thing you can do for your 8 y/o son now to insure he's pitching when he gets older is to stop him from pitching at this age. I also have seen many at this age flame out by 12.

His current talent is not an indication of his future success. Your job right now is to have fun and let him build a love for the game.
          "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
          - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
          Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

Originally posted by TG Coach View Post
            "He throws harder than all the rec pitchers & harder than 90% of the TB kids"

Who cares! Every kid I know who was the hard thrower at 9U and 10U flamed out by high school. Third year of kid pitch by eight years old is absurd. I don't know how my son ever became a high school pitcher. I wasn't analyzing his pitching in 8U. Why? He wasn't pitching yet. He was playing 7/8 machine pitch rec ball. He didn't play travel on a regular basis until 13U.

I'm wondering if this is a troll pulling our legs for reaction. Are there really 8U dads this insane?
            TG,
            Yes there are.

Comment

my son is still 7 and will be done with LL this year before turning 8, pitched last year from 40 feet and is pitching this year from 46 in minors LL. I do pay attention to his mechanics or else he would not be allowed to pitch. He pitched 30 pitches today, walked a couple and struck out a couple 10 yr olds. Nothing hurt!! I have let him pitch 4 times this year, 34 pitches was the most he threw and usually 10 days or so between each time.

cally

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
                I am uncertain whether or not this is a legitimate request for help or not, if so, I would have to agree with TG. The best thing you can do for your 8 y/o son now to insure he's pitching when he gets older is to stop him from pitching at this age. I also have seen many at this age flame out by 12.

His current talent is not an indication of his future success. Your job right now is to have fun and let him build a love for the game.
                Wow not the reaction i thought i would get with a simple post trying to insure my kid has FUN playing baseball into H.S.. So basically your saying we should only play tee ball or machine pitch till we are 10. We enjoy the game with a passion & have 100% fun & could care less who wins all i was trying to do was get the most knowledge i could out of what i thought were some nice baseball fans apparently not never mind i am out of here cuz i am insane whatever

Comment

Originally posted by benz99 View Post
                  Wow not the reaction i thought i would get with a simple post trying to insure my kid has FUN playing baseball into H.S.. So basically your saying we should only play tee ball or machine pitch till we are 10. We enjoy the game with a passion & have 100% fun & could care less who wins all i was trying to do was get the most knowledge i could out of what i thought were some nice baseball fans apparently not never mind i am out of here cuz i am insane whatever
                  Benz,
                  There was no malice intended. Your question is the same as a thousand I have heard over the years. Most of them coming from dad's of gifted 8 y/o's. As a coach of more than 2 decades and a father who has been there (my youngest son played until college and as an adult). I can tell you that those dads who are worried about pitching at 8 will probably not be enjoying the game with their son when he's 13. Most dads who asked have told me how gifted their sons are only to later regret the emphasis they placed on the game at such a young age.

Keys for this age is don't teach pointing the ball to CF, pronate versus supinate, teach glove tuck, and have the lower body rotate through the throw after release. I would strongly suggest RPM's throwing sequence drills.

Hope this helps!
                  Jake
                  "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
                  - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
                  Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

My son pitched one inning a week at age nine, two at age ten, three at age eleven and six at age twelve. When he hit the big field at 13U he was limited to fifty pitches most of the time. I think he went to seventy-five twice. At 14U he was a closer until late in the season when he would go seventy-five pitches. He's now a high school freshman with a very live arm. The two fireballers from his 9U and 10U teams crashed and burned by age twelve. Both had arm problems despite their solid mechanics.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X