X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamesh23
    • Jul 2007

how much of an advantage is it

to be left handed? I mean in pitching wise and playing 1st base? are the advantages enough to switch over cuz I can throw with my left hand also, I only throw about 55 but i've only been throwing lefty for 2 months and only on weekends. I throw about 70 righty.
    2008 varsity stats
    AB-35 K-5 BB-6 H-14 2B-3 3B-0 HR-0 RBI-10 BA- .400
    all stars pitching stats--- W-L= 1-0
    IP- 5 H- 1 BB- 2 HR- 0 ER- 0 K- 8 ERA: 0.00
  • TG Coach
    Team Veteran
    • May 2006

Unbelievable! Have you considered lacrosse?

Comment

• korp
      Sluggernaut
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by jamesh23 View Post
      to be left handed? I mean in pitching wise and playing 1st base? are the advantages enough to switch over cuz I can throw with my left hand also, I only throw about 55 but i've only been throwing lefty for 2 months and only on weekends. I throw about 70 righty.
      There are alot of coaches who like left handed HITTING. Throwing left handed really hinders the positions you can play. For instance you will never play 2nd, shortstop, thirdbase or catcher. I mean if you are destined to be an outfielder, pitcher or 1st basemen then its ok. As for pitching you can throw a little slower left handed than right handed and be successful for instance tom glavine, barry zito (every year but this one) and a number of others .. they throw mid to high 80s which is not heat when you compare them to the zumuya's and verlander's who can hit up to 103mph. As for first base goes you gotta have genes that will make you big or at least tall, outfield you obviously need to be somewhat fast and hit for pop if you play the corners. Hope this helps.
      “If there was ever a man born to be a hitter it was me.” - Ted Williams
      "Didn't come up here to read. Came up here to hit." - Hank Aaron

Comment

• hawkiirock
        • Jan 2007

well it would be a good advantage if you can throw as good with left. Keep working at it. Sure won't hurt ya and may open up some other doors

How old are you?

Comment

• TG Coach
          Team Veteran
          • May 2006

James ... Is this your magic pill of the week? I'll stick with focus and work hard to become a better player.

Comment

• Baseball gLove
            • Jun 2006

There were a couple of lefties that tried out for our high school's varsity team, but they sucked so they were cut from the team.

Comment

• jamesh23
              • Jul 2007

im 15, and ok I went and did diggers and did pretty good today. actually I have seen a lot of 1st basemen in college that are 5'10" about like 200lbs so ya.
              2008 varsity stats

Comment

• jamesh23
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by korp View Post
                There are alot of coaches who like left handed HITTING. Throwing left handed really hinders the positions you can play. For instance you will never play 2nd, shortstop, thirdbase or catcher. I mean if you are destined to be an outfielder, pitcher or 1st basemen then its ok. As for pitching you can throw a little slower left handed than right handed and be successful for instance tom glavine, barry zito (every year but this one) and a number of others .. they throw mid to high 80s which is not heat when you compare them to the zumuya's and verlander's who can hit up to 103mph. As for first base goes you gotta have genes that will make you big or at least tall, outfield you obviously need to be somewhat fast and hit for pop if you play the corners. Hope this helps.
                I can hit left handed, actually harder than I do righty, but my hand eye coordination on that side sucks.
                2008 varsity stats

Comment

• kylebee
                  Owner: Driveline Baseball
                  • Dec 2006

Originally posted by TG Coach View Post
                  James ... Is this your magic pill of the week? I'll stick with focus and work hard to become a better player.
                  I agree. James, you need to focus on what makes you a better player overall, not some quick fix.
                  Owner of Driveline Baseball - Seattle, WA

Comment

• jamesh23
                    • Jul 2007

also my coach loves left handed throwers, cuz he is one, He threw like 90 back in the 80's but never got anywhere, he blew his arm out his junior year of college. so anyway there is a 5'5" 95 lb 8th grader who is a lefty and long tosses at most 100' he throws about 45-50 on the mound and the coach put him on varsity... he's slow and cant hit well so ya.
                    2008 varsity stats

Comment

• Charger567
                      • Sep 2006

also my coach loves left handed throwers, cuz he is one, He threw like 90 back in the 80's but never got anywhere, he blew his arm out his junior year of college. so anyway there is a 5'5" 95 lb 8th grader who is a lefty and long tosses at most 100' he throws about 45-50 on the mound and the coach put him on varsity... he's slow and cant hit well so ya.
                      Wow... Obviously you are stretching the life out of the truth here.. Agreed with everyone else; stop wasting everyone's time as well as your own and start working at it.

Comment

• jamesh23
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Charger567 View Post
                        Wow... Obviously you are stretching the life out of the truth here.. Agreed with everyone else; stop wasting everyone's time as well as your own and start working at it.
                        I am not stretching the truth, the kid is 13, maybe 5'7" but like a twig, his bicep is about as big as my wrist, no lie, he said he weighed 95lbs. Nd he throws slow... but he is a lefty. He only pitches, he always has a DH
                        2008 varsity stats

Comment

• TL_Dad
                          • Oct 2007

Come on 45-50 mph on High School Varsity everyone on this site knows better than that.

Comment

• callyjr
                            • Feb 2007

my 7yr old can long toss at 100(2nd grader) Your not winning us over this way James.

Comment

• jamesh23
                              • Jul 2007

then your 7 yr old has a cannon cuz I can barely get 150' on a line and have a pretty good arm for my team, and he didnt normall pitch he was just on varsity but he sat.
                              2008 varsity stats

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X