is it good to play up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it good to play up?

For those of you that don't know, I am currently a freshman. I have been asked to play on a legion team for Varsity players. I want to play varsity asap. Is it better to play with my age or to play up?

Originally posted by Go Cardinals View Post
    For those of you that don't know, I am currently a freshman. I have been asked to play on a legion team for Varsity players. I want to play varsity asap. Is it better to play with my age or to play up?
    At your age, I would go for maximum playing time.
    Hitting Coordinator for Harris-Stowe State University in St. Louis.

I also work with the pitchers who are dealing with injury problems.

Comment

Always play with the highest possible competition you can. It will only make you a better player. Don't expect to rip it up, you have to remember the opposition will be bigger,older, and more experienced so don't get down on yourself if you don't do as well as you'd like. Again, it will undoubtedly help in the long run. Good luck.
      People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~Rogers Hornsby

Comment

Play up ... if you will PLAY. It does you no good to play at a higher level if you won't play but you will probably have some trouble at a higher level at least in the beginning because its harder but work alot and it will pay off.
        “If there was ever a man born to be a hitter it was me.” - Ted Williams
        "Didn't come up here to read. Came up here to hit." - Hank Aaron

Comment

I would say yes. The extra experience you get can only help. During little league I always had to play up with kids older than me. One year I was 9 playing in the 10-12 age league. I think this greatly helped my development as it taught me how to survive against kids who were far older and superior to me.

Comment

As others have said, play as high as you can and still get lots of playing time, as well as maybe a secondary position. If you play too high and over overwhelmed then it will do you no good. If you play on another team and get to play almost every inning and in a few positions that will help you next year far more then uber compeition with you on the bench occasionally playing one spot.

Comment

Go Cardinals, my daughter is playing up. However, we are assured of playing time. Are you? If you are sitting on the bench as a backup without the ability to start a decent number of games, you'll do yourself a disservice. Also, what is the input of the varsity coaches? Are they selecting this team? Will they follow this team? You have to answer these questions before you make your decision.

Comment

I agree with what people have said so far - that it is good to play at higher levels when you are younger, but the main thing is that you play close to full-time somewhere. Kids on our JV/Varsity squads are unhappy when they get sent down a level, but it almost always happens so they can get more innings pitched. The advice to get a lot of playing time applies especially in the case of pitchers!
                Owner of Driveline Baseball - Seattle, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Go Cardinals View Post
                  How does a JV player make a Legion team? Legion ball is usually the best players from multiple high school varsity teams.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmo34 View Post
                    I would say yes. The extra experience you get can only help. During little league I always had to play up with kids older than me. One year I was 9 playing in the 10-12 age league. I think this greatly helped my development as it taught me how to survive against kids who were far older and superior to me.
                    LL is not relevant to high school age ball. In LL there's a vast difference in physiological age. By high school the physical playing field has leveled. It's more about talent than being physically ahead of others. Plus LL is a small field.

Comment

on the small field my son is 7 and plays with the 8's and he is not big for his age he is just pretty good for 7.

next year he can play with the 9s as an 8 or stay with the 8's.

does it matter at all when they are that young? should he play with the older kids or is it no difference?

Comment

Originally posted by Three A's baseball View Post
                        on the small field my son is 7 and plays with the 8's and he is not big for his age he is just pretty good for 7.

next year he can play with the 9s as an 8 or stay with the 8's.

does it matter at all when they are that young? should he play with the older kids or is it no difference?
                        That's when you want to do it in my opinion, when they're young. I say if the kid can play up and play even just okay, then do it. My son is 10, playing with 11-12. I've always moved him up and I think he's better for it.

Comment

Originally posted by TG Coach View Post
                          How does a JV player make a Legion team? Legion ball is usually the best players from multiple high school varsity teams.

In our community, we only take players for both our Legion and Junior Legion teams from our High School. Years ago when our legion program was set up, that was a part of the "charter." Yes, every time that they take the field in the summer, they are playing an All-Star squad. It makes our kids better. BTW, we do really well each summer!

Comment

LL is not relevant to high school age ball. In LL there's a vast difference in physiological age. By high school the physical playing field has leveled. It's more about talent than being physically ahead of others. Plus LL is a small field.
                            My point was about facing superior competition making you better.

But you cannot seriously say that the only difference between an 18 year old senior and a 15 year old freshman is talent. Upperclassmen are still going to be well ahead of freshman physically, except for the Stock's and Upton's who come along a few times per millenia. You are absolutely nowhere close to being as developed physically as a freshman, as you are a senior.

Comment

This team is as you described above.

This coach has coached me before, and he saw how the coach treated me this year. He knows what I can do.
                              Last edited by Go Cardinals; 05-22-2008, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X