7 yo hitting - please evaluate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 yo hitting - please evaluate

This is Nick, a big strong 7 yo. These were taken in his game yesterday. In the first one, he decided not to stride for some reason. He normally strides but it's not something we emphasize. This was a fairly well hit ball right to the shortstop:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuVG5GuymrE

This one was a foul:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQcrgTRi4Yc

Pop up to shallow center - lucky base hit:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkiJB6_1ejM

He was hitting great on Saturday, really crushing the ball, all line drives. Today he didn't seem to be swinging as hard. He definitely wasn't pre-loading like we've been working on. I haven't worked with him since last week and he's starting to fall back into some of his old habits. His bat drag has improved noticeably since the beginning of the season.

Things we're working on:
    Pre-loading
    Swinging hard
    Firing the hips towards the pitcher

What I'd like to start working on:
    Weight shift - he seems to be squishing the bug a little, which is something his coach teaches (but doesn't hammer). I'd like to steer him away from that.
    Last edited by Jesse; 05-21-2008, 10:21 PM.

I love the behind the back bat pass. Make sure you get him into basketball in the off season.

Comment

Cute kid. Keep it simple. If he is consistently hitting the ball and hitting the ball hard leave him alone. Just make sure he gets lots of at bats. My 8 year old has almost no stride.

Comment

One thing you could try that might possibly help with his "weight shift" and/or "pre-load" is turning his back foot "in" a little bit - at least so it is square to the plate. We know, as mature athletes, that it is much easier to move our weight laterally if we do it from a square base. However, childrens' bodies havent figured this out yet, they feel more stable with the toes "out", well, because they ARE more stable this way. But it doesn't allow them to move their bodies very well.
        "Coaches should teach people to play better baseball, not teach baseball to make better players."
        "In the Little League manual it says 'Baseball builds character' - that is not true. Baseball reveals character." - Augie Garrido

Comment

Well you've got all the time in the world and right now making sure he enjoys it is a big deal but he's standing up straight and showing bat drag. This pattern won't take him where he may want to go. http://imageevent.com/siggy/hitting/...lcp2i01.lion_s
          If you want to follow up on all this just ask for resources. First thing to do is read the stuff on the above link and follow up the links on that link.

Comment

Your little dude is doing some great stuff for a 7 year old. As he gets a few more years older he will begin to gain the ability to accomplish his weight shift (pre-load) as you refer to it. It's just tricky for young guys to time the movement onto the back leg before he has to. :applaud:
            Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake. sigpic

Comment

watch his hands they seem a little high and watch him drop his hands in the first video. If you want him to have quicker hands work on lowering his hands to proper position. right now its OK because of slow pitching, but when he gets older he will fall behind because of faster pitching.

drill
              Yogi Berra was asked by a reporter "How do you catch a knuckle ball?" He came right back and said "When it stops rolling"

Comment

he seems a little jerky with the upper body. Its not that important right now, but you will want to slow down the pre-load and have the body moving forward as he is loading the upper body. That will wind up the rubber band so he can tap into that 7yr old power.

Cally

Comment

I love how he drops the bat after the swing

Comment

Thanks for all the comments. I've been reading them, just haven't had time to respond.

Originally posted by StraightGrain11 View Post
                    One thing you could try that might possibly help with his "weight shift" and/or "pre-load" is turning his back foot "in" a little bit - at least so it is square to the plate. We know, as mature athletes, that it is much easier to move our weight laterally if we do it from a square base. However, childrens' bodies havent figured this out yet, they feel more stable with the toes "out", well, because they ARE more stable this way. But it doesn't allow them to move their bodies very well.
                    That's a great point. I've noticed the "toes out" and didn't like it, but couldn't quite put my finger on why I didn't like it, so I didn't say anything. It's definitely something I'll work with him on. We actually gave it a shot tonight, but didn't have enough time to really make any progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark H View Post
                      Well you've got all the time in the world and right now making sure he enjoys it is a big deal but he's standing up straight and showing bat drag. This pattern won't take him where he may want to go. http://imageevent.com/siggy/hitting/...lcp2i01.lion_s
                      If you want to follow up on all this just ask for resources. First thing to do is read the stuff on the above link and follow up the links on that link.
                      I'm aware of both issues, just haven't decided on the best way to fix them. How do you teach a 7 yo to tilt?

Comment

Originally posted by Nater44 View Post
                        Your little dude is doing some great stuff for a 7 year old. As he gets a few more years older he will begin to gain the ability to accomplish his weight shift (pre-load) as you refer to it. It's just tricky for young guys to time the movement onto the back leg before he has to. :applaud:
                        Well, when I say pre-load I'm talking about the position of his hands prior to the swing. I'd like to see them lower and further back. We've worked on it before, and he was doing pretty well for a few weeks, but he's reverted back to the old "hands next to the ear" position.

Weight shift refers to the weight moving from the back foot to the front at contact. He's got a long way to go on this one and I haven't even tried to address it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Drill View Post
                          watch his hands they seem a little high and watch him drop his hands in the first video. If you want him to have quicker hands work on lowering his hands to proper position. right now its OK because of slow pitching, but when he gets older he will fall behind because of faster pitching.

drill
                          Yep, we've been working on this, you just can't tell from those clips. He tends to forget everything we've worked on when he's up to bat. I'm trying to get stuff ingrained so he does it without thinking, but we've got a ways to go.

It's tough because I'm umpiring his games this year, so I'm not really allowed to yell at him like all the other parents can. Seriously, if I could just say "hands back" or something while he's hitting that's all it would take to remind him.

Comment

Originally posted by Drill View Post

drill
                            The "proper position"? You mean this:

I remember Jim Leyland talking about Magglio Ordonez a little while ago, and how "he holds his hands like a hitter."

Ever since then, I have left kids, who hold their hands "a little high", alone - it's mostly been for the better; I just make sure they're not "looping" their swing too much...
                            So as far as the "proper postion" is concerned, they don't need to START there, they just need to GET there.

Comparison?
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by StraightGrain11; 05-24-2008, 12:32 AM.
                            "Coaches should teach people to play better baseball, not teach baseball to make better players."
                            "In the Little League manual it says 'Baseball builds character' - that is not true. Baseball reveals character." - Augie Garrido

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                              I'm aware of both issues, just haven't decided on the best way to fix them. How do you teach a 7 yo to tilt?
                              I'm sure there are any number of ways but I use Englishbey's drills. I would keep it fun with a 7 yr old.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X