No announcement yet.

Hitting curveballs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We were just practicing curves not to make us look or do bad but just for practice. I just couldn't hit them. I was struggling a bit today but then found my stroke later. Hopefully I'll be able to carry that over into our game tomarrow.

Comment

Hopefully it does carry over.

What skipper5 was trying to say is that hitting is about confidence. Anything you do to detour from a hitters confidence is hurting him. The best time to work on hitting curveballs is not mid-season or when your getting close to post-season time, its very early on or after the season, when you can focus on making corrections and proper adjustments. During the season your focus is on SUCCEEDING/WINNING. This gets in the way of being able to work on things. This is why you will hear pitchers go out and give up 6 runs during spring training and say they "had a good outing" - because their goal was not to WIN, it was to LEARN about themselves.
      "Coaches should teach people to play better baseball, not teach baseball to make better players."
      "In the Little League manual it says 'Baseball builds character' - that is not true. Baseball reveals character." - Augie Garrido

Comment

When you swing over a curve ball, its usually because your recognition of the pitch is late. If you can see a ton of them and pick up the top spin quickly you should be ble to follow it to the bat head. Try concentrating on the pitcher's release point to pick up that curve as soon as possible.
        People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~Rogers Hornsby

Comment

I dont play baseball, but for those that do, especially in HS, can you really read the spin on the ball while batting?

Comment

Originally posted by LAball View Post
            I dont play baseball, but for those that do, especially in HS, can you really read the spin on the ball while batting?
            Yes. Picking out the spin on the pitch as it is released is important.
            Owner of Driveline Baseball - Seattle, WA

Comment

Originally posted by kylebee View Post
              Yes. Picking out the spin on the pitch as it is released is important.
              Can it be easily done? Woud a batter pick up the spin on every pitch? This starts at U10, U14, HS?

Comment

Can it be easily done? Woud a batter pick up the spin on every pitch? This starts at U10, U14, HS?
                Should be something you're pretty much always able to do. A curveball (or "breaking" pitch) has a very distinctive spin to it - the seams will create a "circle" or a "red dot" on the ball that is VERY noticeable.
                Last edited by StraightGrain11; 05-27-2008, 10:40 PM.
                "Coaches should teach people to play better baseball, not teach baseball to make better players."
                "In the Little League manual it says 'Baseball builds character' - that is not true. Baseball reveals character." - Augie Garrido

Comment

Heck yes. If you can't, you need to go to the eye doctor, and if the doc says your eyes are good and you still can't pick up the spin, you need to play a different sport, because you'll never hit very well.

Most MLB hitters have BETTER than 20-20 vision and above average depth-perception and above average reflexes or reaction time. Some can see the angle of the pitcher's wrist as he lets go (I never could), and ALL can pick up the spin very soon after release, (even I can do that.)

You have to see a few of the pitcher's pitches before you get good at hitting the breaking stuff, not all curves and sliders move the same. After you see a few you basically have to read the pitch and then swing at where you anticipate it to end up at contact point. Curves are slower so if you're looking for one, and have seen it before, you can wait on it and hit it. Sliders are tougher, because they break later and are moving faster. Of course a fastball with good movement is the toughest, it is coming very fast and moves very late.

A fastball rotates from the ground up, (bottom of ball coming at you and up), a curve rotates basically sky to ground, (top of ball coming at you and down), and a slider spins like a bullet, or some people say like a cement mixer coming at you.
                  Last edited by jbooth; 05-27-2008, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jbooth View Post
                    A fastball rotates from the ground up, (bottom of ball coming at you and up), a curve rotates basically sky to ground, (top of ball coming at you and down), and a slider spins like a bullet, or some people say like a cement mixer coming at you.
                    Thats a very good description for me to understand. Do you have any more for other pitches?

If I am a batter with a right hand pitcher, the slider spins counter-clock wise?

Comment

With poor eyesight like me, I can even read it.

Without contacts I'm 20/30 and 20/50, with I'm 20/15 20/15

Comment

Thats a very good description for me to understand. Do you have any more for other pitches?

If I am a batter with a right hand pitcher, the slider spins counter-clock wise?
                        when was your last at bat?

Comment

Originally posted by Go Cardinals View Post
                          when was your last at bat?
                          about 20 years ago.:silent:

Comment

about 20 years ago.:silent:
                            Why don't you play in an adult league? You obviously love the game!

Comment

Originally posted by Go Cardinals View Post
                              Why don't you play in an adult league? You obviously love the game!
                              ahh, dont say that , its too tempting...
                              I am at BBF for my son 9 year old lefty. I have concentrated mostly on his hitting, but next year he will be pitching, maybe, so i gata learn it.

Comment

Yes, the spin will be counterclockwise.
                                For other pitches...see, that's what makes a change-up such a nasty pitch, there is NO DIFFERENCE between its spin and the spin of a fastball, they look pretty much identical (about the only difference you might notice - if your eyes are insanely good - is a little bit of spin opposite that of a curveball's, from the hard pronation; but even that I highly doubt you would be able detect).
                                Last edited by StraightGrain11; 05-28-2008, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X