KId hits knuckle balls ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

basesloaded
    straightgrain's definition of slices is like mine. I'll take it another step for you... balls sliced to the opposite field hook to that foul line a/c spin imparted by a dragging bat... bat still pointed a bit backward at contact because the trunk outran the hands.

s-grain, I have had a few pupils open our dialog with "just tell me what to do; I don't want to know why" and had to wonder who they'd been talking to. And then there were the ones who asked Why. Maybe there's a way to see one coming?

MarkH ignored the ignore list?

Comment

Originally posted by virg View Post
      basesloaded
      straightgrain's definition of slices is like mine. I'll take it another step for you... balls sliced to the opposite field hook to that foul line a/c spin imparted by a dragging bat... bat still pointed a bit backward at contact because the trunk outran the hands.

s-grain, I have had a few pupils open our dialog with "just tell me what to do; I don't want to know why" and had to wonder who they'd been talking to. And then there were the ones who asked Why. Maybe there's a way to see one coming?

I was always a "why" guy. I NEEDED to know "why" I was doing something. For me, it was easier to learn something if I understood why I was doing it. Simply doing something "because" has never felt right to me - very uncomfortable, actually (the best way I can describe the feeling might be: cliff diving at night - you can't see where you're going and you don't know whats waiting for you when you get there). If you're students are asking "why", tell them. If they couldn't handle it, they probably wouldn't ask. HOWEVER, having said that, they also might just be "testing" you to see if you really "know what you're talking about" and not care one way or the other - but now they've got the information in their heads and don't know what to do with it :noidea.
      Personally, I just try and read the player. If I tell him to do something, and he does it kinda "half-hearted" (and I know he's not normally like that), THEN I go into more detail and explain to him why I'm having him do it. Once he understands, then I usually see the intensity kick back in.
      "Coaches should teach people to play better baseball, not teach baseball to make better players."
      "In the Little League manual it says 'Baseball builds character' - that is not true. Baseball reveals character." - Augie Garrido

Comment

Originally posted by StraightGrain11 View Post
        I was always a "why" guy. I NEEDED to know "why" I was doing something. For me, it was easier to learn something if I understood why I was doing it. Simply doing something "because" has never felt right to me
        Amen. Your posts have been quite informative as of late.
        Owner of Driveline Baseball - Seattle, WA

Comment

ok guys i know what you mean by sliceing now and no the balls he hits dont usally slice , id say half the balls he hit just look like knuckle balls for some reason he hits the ball prety hard and he dont strike out much but the last practice he started missing alot of pitches the coach said he was bat dragging so i figured the knuckle balls and the back dragging was connected.

Comment

He's good, and the coach worries out loud.

A funny BP might only mean the pitching was off. Or he might have been trying to place-hit and didn't say. I hope he can resist a coaches planted suggestion and I suspect he can. Don't saddle him with the worrying.

Comment

Originally posted by virg View Post

I guess. lol

Comment

hey mark h have you ever thought about working with some kids on hitting ,sounds like you would be a good one .ill give you my email if your intrested!

Comment

Work with one college team and a few friends but I will refer you to my mentor who is way better than me. Been through most of them and finally settled on this guy.

[email protected]

Comment

hey mark sent you an email hope you got it

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X