Throw training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throw training

Since there has been a lot of discussion about hitting, I thought I'd switch gears a little bit and post some recent throws of my son (he's 15). We've been working alot lately on tempo and rotating (trying not to be so linear to the plate).

A few months ago we were lucky to hit 72mph on the gun. Now were are pretty consistant at about 77 mph. This throw is 80mph (thought we might get 82 tonight but just didn't happen :grouchy)

Still have a ways to go for sure, but I think we're on the right track. Some comments/suggestions would be appreciated as I think I see more improvement is needed in rotating his upper body more (into footplant), and maybe just being a bit "looser" and quicker with the throw.

Here is the link:
    http://home.comcast.net/~julievalente/Bri3-9-80mph.mpg

P.S. How can I get the video to show up in the post?

To get the video to show up in the post you must create a .gif file.

Then use the "insert image" icon above the box where you type your post. The yellow square 3/4 of the way to the right.

I'm interested in what changes you made to go from 72 to 77 with the occasional 80.

Comment

Thanks Ohfor. I'll try to create a GIF.

I think some of it is that he is creating more momentum when he throws. This momentum I think is from rotating his hips and upper body better (by showing the back pocket to the batter). Breaking his hands a little later, and just increased/faster tempo (I try to tell him once his hands break, he needs to go all out as fast as he can. He still doesn't go fast enough, but it's helping).

I'm hoping with doing these things even better, maybe being a little looser and quicker (by not trying to look like Mr. Pitcher and just throw the ball) with his delivery we may be able to get a few more MPH.

I also think he needs to lift more weights and get bigger/stronger to throw faster. He's a skinny kid and I wish I could just get the pounds on him, but he just burns it off.

We've been using weighted balls, but only occasionally. When he started wrestling over the winter, it really hindered our throw training, and couldn't use the weighted balls as much as we'd have liked to. I'd like to get those in use on a much more consistant basis to see what we can get out of them.

Comment

Looks pretty good to me. Try and get Steve to comment if you can.

Comment

Getting bigger doesn't really translate into harder throwing. Look at Zach Greinke. He's one lanky dude, but can get it up there around 94 I believe.

I haven't read Jim Dixon's book yet, but I hear that it is something most aspiring pitchers should read.

Comment

This is a bit off-topic but stems from something I see in the video. I noticed that your son is able to get his forearm flat just before the whip and follow through which is something I see in most high level throwers. Maybe I need to tape myself, but I have a very difficult time with flexibility to be able to get to this state. Do you guys do any special types of stretches for this kind of joint flexibility? I am just wondering if most actually have it but need to experiment to find a better slot, or if stretching it out is the only choice.

Comment

MrUniverse09:

I understand where you're coming from, but I still feel that putting on some size and getting stronger would definately help. I'm not saying he needs to be the size of a linebacker, but 20 or 30 pounds of muscle wouldn't hurt. Especially in the legs.

Ohioteamz:
              The forearm layback isn't something he consciously tries to improve or work on. It sort of just happens when you try throwing hard. He has been working a lot on his arm action and "throwing" with the elbows more. We also do band work before and after he throws for strengthening the shoulder capsule.

Comment

Looks to me like he's short arming the ball. Shouldn't his throwing arm be extended more at the beginning of the throw?

Comment

I don't see that but I do think he could get a better flat W with a better left scap load.

Comment

I somewhat agree. I don't know if I would call it "short arming", but yes I would like to see his hand a little further back than it is. More stuff that still needs work.

This has cropped up as a result of him really concentrating on lifting and throwing with the elbows. He used to be kind of a "circle up pie thrower" type of thrower, and we worked on getting the elbows more involved. He used to "push" the ball a lot more. Just need him to work on the arm action more.

I'm hoping the "looser/quicker" cue will help.

One step at a time......

Comment

Originally posted by Mark H
                      I don't see that but I do think he could get a better flat W with a better left scap load.
                      Good call Mark. Absolutely. In fact, that's the first thing I said to him when we looked at the video. Needs to make better use of the front side.

Again, this (I think) is happening from concentrating on the throwing arm so much, and trying to get that right. He's not getting anything out of the glove side arm.

Nice observations guys.

Comment

Comments

I'm glad to see a pitching thread - we could use more of those.

There are some good things going on here and you are focusing on the right things (by starting with arm-action).

I don't see any short-arming either. I agree with others that a better "W" is needed (front side not contributing as mentioned).

It looks like he starts his leg lift from a position off to the side. I personally like to see this more directly in line toward 2B. This eliminates unnessary side to side motion and keeps the hips going more in line with the plate (target).

Also, I believe he leaves his front knee behind and in the air too long (it drags behind him). Take a look at the stills just after hand-break (or more appropriately called "elbow break"). His front leg continues to lag after this as well (compare it on clips to see this better). I think this happens when you tell a pitcher to lead with his hips - which I do agree with.

Keep up the good work and keep posting the clips.

Joe
                        Attached Files

Comment

My son's team just spent 8 weeks getting some pitching instruction. Here are a few things his instructors would say - I will try and paraphrase;

1. Comparing him to Pedro and others. Notice that Pedro's head is over his back knee, almost like his upper body is leaning back (over kis back knee) as he is going forward. They really worked on this!

When your front foot touches the ground your back foot should not be coming up on your toes ( at least not yet) - they showed several still pictures of Clemens, Pedro etc. and all of them have their back foot still planted on the ground (rolling onto their instep) as the front foot hits the ground.

I am no pitching guru so take this for what it's worth. The guys doing the instruction have a pretty good background in baseball.
                          "Tip it and rip it" - In Memory of Dmac
                          "Hit the inside seam" - In Memory of Swingbuster

Comment

[QUOTE=Stealth]When your front foot touches the ground your back foot should not be coming up on your toes ( at least not yet) - QUOTE]

What about that picture of Zach Greinke earlier in this thread???
                            "Do not dismiss what you do not understand"
                            "A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice." - Bill Cosby
                            "There are sound intellectual grounds for holding faith positions" - Fungo 22

Comment

http://sports.newsday.com/images/bas...ens_roger5.jpg

http://www.newyorkrangers.cz/mlb/images/clemensbos.jpg

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/cla...lemens86_i.jpg

The last link shows what I am trying to describe the best. It's a timing thing but just as your front foot is about to touch the ground look at Roger's back foot. I think in the picture of Greinke his front foot has hit the ground already. Most young pitchers do not hold this position long enough, they come up on their toes too early.

In looking at the video clip in the original post again in slow motion it's not too bad.
                              Last edited by Stealth; 03-10-2006, 01:52 PM.
                              "Tip it and rip it" - In Memory of Dmac
                              "Hit the inside seam" - In Memory of Swingbuster

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X