X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rkbenn View Post
    This is a youth batter...Hello!
    8Us are second graders.

The kids on my rec team are plenty capable of getting decent hip rotation.
    Hitting Coordinator for Harris-Stowe State University in St. Louis.

I also work with the pitchers who are dealing with injury problems.

Comment

Taught by the A's and 2 time National Champs OSU. Your opinion. Watch a major league swing in slow motion.
      It may be widely taught, but it's still wrong.

Pujols isn't squishing the bug in the photo you posted.

He certainly isn't squishing the bug in this photo...

Comment

Taught by the A's and 2 time National Champs OSU. Your opinion. Watch a major league swing in slow motion.

I'm slightly upset that we share the same name.

I think you don't have an understanding of what "squish the bug" really means. If you did, you would be running away from it like the plague.

Comment

Tell him to "finish high with [his] hands".
          "Coaches should teach people to play better baseball, not teach baseball to make better players."
          "In the Little League manual it says 'Baseball builds character' - that is not true. Baseball reveals character." - Augie Garrido

Comment

Originally posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
            4. On the plus side, he shows less bat drag than most. Of course, this may be limiting his power at this age.
            Chris, I've read where you've written this in the past and I'm intersted in hearing more of your thoughts on this. I'm kind of scratching my head on how bat drag increases power.

Thanks,
            MV9

Edit: I've recently picked some up in my youngest son's swing via Sports Motion video and never associated it with power; he seems to have lost some.
            Last edited by mudvnine; 05-28-2008, 11:15 PM.
            In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Chris O'Leary View Post
              8Us are second graders.

The kids on my rec team are plenty capable of getting decent hip rotation.
              This one is 8 years old too. No squishing the bug here either.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Baseball gLove; 05-28-2008, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseball gLove View Post
                This one is 8 years old too. No squishing the bug here either.
                Heh heh, I like the red circle in the last photo.
                Owner of Driveline Baseball - Seattle, WA

Comment

Originally posted by kylebee View Post
                  Heh heh, I like the red circle in the last photo.
                  Thanks. The scary part is that it was hit into a 15-25 mph wind.

Comment

Originally posted by mudvnine View Post
                    Chris, I've read where you've written this in the past and I'm intersted in hearing more of your thoughts on this. I'm kind of scratching my head on how bat drag increases power.
                    It can let you recruit more, bigger muscles into the swing.

Edit: I've recently picked some up in my youngest son's swing via Sports Motion video and never associated it with power; he seems to have lost some.
                    It will only increase your power if your timing is right (due to slow pitching or starting the swing very early). It can just as easily cause lots of swinging strikes and pushing the ball.

Comment

It can let you recruit more, bigger muscles into the swing.

It will only increase your power if your timing is right (due to slow pitching or starting the swing very early). It can just as easily cause lots of swinging strikes and pushing the ball.

Comment

I'm kind of scratching my head on how bat drag increases power.

Thanks,
                        MV9

Bat draggers often show excellent power even for smaller hitters. Problem is their swing generally takes about 7 frames (between 6 and 7 for the stronger hitters) from first move of the bat head into the swing plane till contact. Because of this they have to make their decision early and so they make correct decisions less often given they have less information. They will look very good and show tantalizing power and then break your heart with inconsistency when the pitchers start throwing hard and changing speeds and spins. Even against good pitching they will occassionally bang it far.

I should add when I say frames I'm talking about frames in a standard 30 fps video. Best hitters in the world are four frames. Sometimes even slightly less. Five frames will get you a great hs career and quite a bit of success in college.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmo34 View Post
                          I'm slightly upset that we share the same name.

I think you don't have an understanding of what "squish the bug" really means. If you did, you would be running away from it like the plague.
                          These are little kids, squish the bug is something an 8 y/o understands to get great rotation of the back foot. Where not talking about developed kids. Make it fun to keep them interested and keep the game fun. Even if you say you rotate the hips like you're doing the Cha Cha, what does it mater. Every kid is not the sale and you can't take the same approach. My boy doesn't squish the bug, he's beyond that. You guys are really taking this too seriously. If they kid was 10, or 12 or 15, I'd take a different approach depending on the kid. One size doesn't fit all.

I spoke with a scout for the KC Royals for a couple hours at a College game. His advice is to make baseball fun so the kids will have memories for the rest of their life. This is not at the expense of teaching the fundamentals.

Comment

Yeah but squish the bug is not a fundamental. I can get in my stance and do the watusi bug squish back and forth with my foot without ever moving my pelvis or anything else. If you are saying any given hitting cue, such as squish the bug, can be golden any given day with any given kid, sure. But squish the bug is an especially problematic cue. I'm sure you can come up with a more accurate cue and still keep it fun.

Comment

I spoke with a scout for the KC Royals for a couple hours at a College game. His advice is to make baseball fun so the kids will have memories for the rest of their life. This is not at the expense of teaching the fundamentals.
                              A good coach is one who can make this happen. I think most on this board have wonderful memories about playing ball. My best times were always having fun and learning more about the game.
                              See ball, hit ball.

Comment

These are little kids, squish the bug is something an 8 y/o understands to get great rotation of the back foot. Where not talking about developed kids. Make it fun to keep them interested and keep the game fun. Even if you say you rotate the hips like you're doing the Cha Cha, what does it mater. Every kid is not the sale and you can't take the same approach. My boy doesn't squish the bug, he's beyond that. You guys are really taking this too seriously. If they kid was 10, or 12 or 15, I'd take a different approach depending on the kid. One size doesn't fit all.
                                Rather than teaching a kid to do something that they will have to unlearn when they get older, I prefer to teach them to do the right way the first time.

Also, unlearning things can be a very painful process, as I am learning with some of my 13Us who were never taught to hit or throw the right way the first time.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X