• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tip184
    • May 2008

Second baseman looking for advice

New member here.

I am playing second base on my adult rec team. I have some experience at the position, but not a whole lot. I'm looking for tips on what I can do to make myself a better defensive second baseman. Any suggestions would be appreciated, from positioning, to pickoffs, to relays, turning the double play, to actual fielding mechanics. Anything you guys can think of.

I was disappointed to not be playing shortstop. Is second base a high profile position? How much of an impact does a good second baseman make on a team? Is it one of the more important defensive positions?
  • TG Coach
    Team Veteran
    • May 2006

I was disappointed to not be playing shortstop. Is second base a high profile position? How much of an impact does a good second baseman make on a team? Is it one of the more important defensive positions?

You're in an adult rec league. You're not playing to move up anymore. Why does it matter what position you play as long as you play? Every position on the field is important. How is it you want to play short when you don't know how to play second? Middle infielders have usually played both positions over the number of years they play. If you've played short you should have a understanding of how your partner (second) played the postition. The first thing you need to improve is your attitude.
    Last edited by TG Coach; 05-28-2008, 11:23 AM.

Comment

• DrxDrO
      • May 2008

when you field the ball make sure i mean stress this on your self your glove goes all the way down
      "It helps if the hitter thinks you're a little crazy." Nolan Ryan

Comment

• CoachHenry
        Slobber
        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by TG Coach View Post

You're in an adult rec league. You're not playing to move up anymore. Why does it matter what position you play as long as you play? Every position on the field is important. How is it you want to play short when you don't know how to play second? Middle infielders have usually played both positions over the number of years they play. If you've played short you should have a understanding of how your partner (second) played the postition. The first thing you need to improve is your attitude.
        And you can improve yours. Try helping this person instead of berating him. For all your knowledge you sure are a jackass to people on this site.

Comment

• CoachHenry
          Slobber
          • Dec 2006

One of the best drills you can do at this point is to take slow grounders from someone rolling you the ball from about 10 feet away. Practice good mechanics for a batch of balls then have the thrower move back to about 20 feet, then 30, etc. Each time make the grounders easy and do perfect footwork. then take some easy ground balls from a batter and still use great mechanics. Work some to your left, to your right, and right to you but make sure they are slow and easy. Lastly take some harder grounders and try to again use good mechanics. Don't worry if you don't catch them all, just work on teaching your body how to move and to field. After a few practices you will feel your body doing things without thinking about them. Bad habits are the same way. Practice poorly and that's what your body will do.

As for mechanics, that's for another post.

Comment

• whoisonit
            yhc
            • Feb 2008

Originally posted by tip184 View Post
            New member here.

I am playing second base on my adult rec team. I have some experience at the position, but not a whole lot. I'm looking for tips on what I can do to make myself a better defensive second baseman. Any suggestions would be appreciated, from positioning, to pickoffs, to relays, turning the double play, to actual fielding mechanics. Anything you guys can think of.

I guess you'll be just another in a long, long, long line of people, men, women and children, (yes ! children !), who have come onto a site that prides itself on knowledge and intellegence, never to return because a miserable loser attacts and berates you for no reason other than it is the only way he can try and deal with his own unhappyness and lonliness. Sadly, he vomited out his retchedness as the very first response in this thread.

Second base is a very important position. To paraphrase Casey, without a second baseman, you get alota singles to right.

Comment

• Newyouthcoach
              • Apr 2008

I have only been on this site about two months now, and I do enjoy the wealth of information on this site. What I have grown tired of is the online bickering. Come on, all of us are entitled to opinions. If you don't like what another member posts, offer some constructive advice. Don't bash that member.

I do not know TGCoach, CoachHenry, or whoisonit, but I will say when I see their posts, I do tend to read them for the information. I will say that all have given some good information. Come on guys, keep the personal stuff in pm's.

Comment

• TG Coach
                Team Veteran
                • May 2006

Originally posted by CoachHenry View Post
                And you can improve yours. Try helping this person instead of berating him. For all your knowledge you sure are a jackass to people on this site.
                I perceived whining. Discussing whining is an important part of the mental game. Not that any player should be whining about position, it's really unbecoming from an adult in a rec league. But thanks for the vulgar personal attack for addressing the player's mental approach.
                Last edited by TG Coach; 05-28-2008, 01:54 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Utility07
                  High school coach
                  • Aug 2006

I agree with TG. That last paragraph in the OP is a bunch of stuff that is not relevant if the original poster was all about the team, and not all about himself.

Comment

• tip184
                    • May 2008

I am allowed to be disappointed that I didn't get to play a certain position. Being disappointed because I didn't get to play short is not an attitude problem. Dogging it in the field because I didn't get to play short is an attitude problem, and TG "Coach" had no reason to criticize me for wanting to tackle the most challenging position on the field other than pitcher and catcher. Utility07 has no right claiming that I am only in it for myself. What makes you guys get these delusions anyways?

I appreciate the well meaning posts and the advice I have gotten so far. Keep it up guys.

Comment

• thehogans
                      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by tip184 View Post
                      I am allowed to be disappointed that I didn't get to play a certain position. Being disappointed because I didn't get to play short is not an attitude problem. Dogging it in the field because I didn't get to play short is an attitude problem, and TG "Coach" had no reason to criticize me for wanting to tackle the most challenging position on the field other than pitcher and catcher. Utility07 has no right claiming that I am only in it for myself. What makes you guys get these delusions anyways?

I appreciate the well meaning posts and the advice I have gotten so far. Keep it up guys.
                      Like anywhere in life you take the good with the bad...your job is just to filter out the bad and concentrate on the good. There is no shortage of good information on this site, sometimes you just have to wade through the crap to find it.

And I for one applaud you for wanting to improve as a player. There are some guys on my competitive team who could stand to take a lesson or two from you about attitude...plus they desperately need the help on their mechanics. I am like you...I want to be the best I can be for the short time I have to play this wonderful game...I would be on the field and in the cages all day if I could. (and believe me my wife thinks I try awful hard to do just that!)

Comment

• StraightGrain11
                        • Sep 2007

tip184, check your PM's.
                        "Coaches should teach people to play better baseball, not teach baseball to make better players."
                        "In the Little League manual it says 'Baseball builds character' - that is not true. Baseball reveals character." - Augie Garrido

Comment

• thehogans
                          • Feb 2008

OK...my apologies to everyone on this thread, but I am going back on my word...NOW this is my last post...

Originally posted by TG Coach

His comments on not playing short and wondering if other positions are important are the wrong way to approach playing. I was very surprised it was made by an adult. It's the type of comment a ten year old would make.

Yes, it is the comment a ten year old might make...that's why in my last post I suggested that maybe he is 'early in the "nurturing process"'! He's playing rec ball for goodness sake. He may not have played organized ball past little league, he may not have played ANY ball in 20 years...if that is the case, he simply won't have the thinking of a person who has played as long as we have.

Every position is important. Any position on the field is better than the best spot on the bench. It's not a right to play a specific position or any position. It's to be earned.

Once again, you are right. Every position is important, and there's not a player in this world who would rather ride the pine than get to play. However, he was disappointed he didn't get to play the position he wanted, he wasn't saying he had a right to it. I'm sure there are/were kids on your teams who, while they were extremely thankful to just be out there, wouldn't rather be playing another position...the shortstop who wants to be a pitcher, the catcher who wants to play 3rd base. They may help the team more at the position you choose for them, but it could be a source of motivation for them to work for a desired position, rather than be told where their position is, just be glad you're even playing, end of discussion. It may not work out, but at least give them a shot to work for something they want. Who knows, maybe in the process they'll hit the gym harder and practice more on their own which would improve their overall skill anyway. Once again, you are speaking to someone who may be 10 years old in "baseball years".

... you don't have to insult his play, his attitude, or his motivations either.

I criticized his attitude. It was deserved.
                          I will admit, at first glance, the questions in that last paragraph come off sounding like whining. But when reading these things, you need to ask yourself "Who is writing this?" And if answering, ask yourself "Who am I talking to?"

One of the hardest things about being a coach is knowing WHO you're coaching, not only in chronological age, but also in "baseball age". You wouldn't coach a rec league player like you would coach one of your 18U players who are trying to impress college and pro scouts. You wouldn't coach a 10U player about the intricacies and strategy of hitting the ball to the right side with a runner on first and less than 2 out with a lefty on the mound when they still need to learn basic hitting fundamentals, and Terry Francona wouldn't tell Manny that he needs to work on his bunting skills. You do not seem to be a "bad" or "uninformed" coach, quite the contrary, but as I said, part of coaching is knowing who you're coaching, and IMHO, you missed the mark.

FYI...Not only was I a high level player (and play currently), but I am a certified instructor with one of the largest baseball and softball training programs in the country (name withheld). I have learned to coach hitting from Rick Down and Manny Ramirez, pitching from some of the best in the world including Mariano Rivera (who came up through this program by the way), fielding from Mike Bordick, and even fastpitch pitching and hitting from current and former USA softball players and coaches. I have instructed hundreds of players from age 4 through the Minors and Independents. I even run coaching clinics...I teach coaches how to coach better! The men who started this program are some of the best coaches I have ever witnessed and had had the pleasure to learn from. They are real, they are compassionate, they are skilled, and most importantly, they get results. Hundreds are playing in college or the pros because of us, and current pros even buy our training materials (A. Rod and Chris Bootcheck to name a couple off the top of my head).

I do not say this to "beat my chest" as one poster said, I just want you to know that my comments are not coming from some jackass who just wants a fight, but rather one coach talking honestly to another, while having very different coaching philosophies. My criticism is not about your skill as a coach or about your knowledge of the game, but simply in how you handled this one situation. That's all.

Comment

• Go Cardinals
                            HS baseball player
                            • May 2007

Originally posted by thehogans View Post
                            OK...my apologies to everyone on this thread, but I am going back on my word...NOW this is my last post...

I will admit, at first glance, the questions in that last paragraph come off sounding like whining. But when reading these things, you need to ask yourself "Who is writing this?" And if answering, ask yourself "Who am I talking to?"

One of the hardest things about being a coach is knowing WHO you're coaching, not only in chronological age, but also in "baseball age". You wouldn't coach a rec league player like you would coach one of your 18U players who are trying to impress college and pro scouts. You wouldn't coach a 10U player about the intricacies and strategy of hitting the ball to the right side with a runner on first and less than 2 out with a lefty on the mound when they still need to learn basic hitting fundamentals, and Terry Francona wouldn't tell Manny that he needs to work on his bunting skills. You do not seem to be a "bad" or "uninformed" coach, quite the contrary, but as I said, part of coaching is knowing who you're coaching, and IMHO, you missed the mark.

FYI...Not only was I a high level player (and play currently), but I am a certified instructor with one of the largest baseball and softball training programs in the country (name withheld). I have learned to coach hitting from Rick Down and Manny Ramirez, pitching from some of the best in the world including Mariano Rivera (who came up through this program by the way), fielding from Mike Bordick, and even fastpitch pitching and hitting from current and former USA softball players and coaches. I have instructed hundreds of players from age 4 through the Minors and Independents. I even run coaching clinics...I teach coaches how to coach better! The men who started this program are some of the best coaches I have ever witnessed and had had the pleasure to learn from. They are real, they are compassionate, they are skilled, and most importantly, they get results. Hundreds are playing in college or the pros because of us, and current pros even buy our training materials (A. Rod and Chris Bootcheck to name a couple off the top of my head).

I do not say this to "beat my chest" as one poster said, I just want you to know that my comments are not coming from some jackass who just wants a fight, but rather one coach talking honestly to another, while having very different coaching philosophies. My criticism is not about your skill as a coach or about your knowledge of the game, but simply in how you handled this one situation. That's all.
                            Could you point me into the direction of the 'training materials'.

Also, which did a-rod buy?

Comment

• mudvnine
                              Super Moderator
                              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Go Cardinals View Post
                              Could you point me into the direction of the 'training materials'.

Also, which did a-rod buy?
                              He is referring to Frozen Ropes training materials, here's the link to their website and what Bootcheck purchased, nothing on A-Rod . . . sorry.

Good luck,
                              MV9
                              In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X