• Interesting Article about Maple Bats

Here's a news article from last Sunday's Chicago Tribune about maple bats:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,6804498.story

Twitch5

Originally posted by Twitch5 View Post
    Here's a news article from last Sunday's Chicago Tribune about maple bats:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,6804498.story

Twitch5
    Yeah, it seems to be getting more and more press these days. The only thing I hope is that they don't ban/regulate maple bats based on fear, but rather based on some scientific testing with real quantitative results. That way they can make a fully informed rational and logical decision. And that decision should be made by MLB, the owners, team management, and the players together. (I know...good luck, right?!)

Personally I would rather err on the side of safety, but I would rather see some sort of regulation like handle thickness, rather than a complete ban.

Comment

Good read!

A fan got hit by a broken Geoff Jenkins bats last night. They appeared to be shaken a bit. Between innings, Jenkins went over and gave the guy one of his unbroken bats. It was a nice jesture.
      See ball, hit ball.

Comment

Originally posted by thehogans View Post
        Yeah, it seems to be getting more and more press these days. The only thing I hope is that they don't ban/regulate maple bats based on fear, but rather based on some scientific testing with real quantitative results. That way they can make a fully informed rational and logical decision. And that decision should be made by MLB, the owners, team management, and the players together. (I know...good luck, right?!)

Personally I would rather err on the side of safety, but I would rather see some sort of regulation like handle thickness, rather than a complete ban.
        I agree. I hate to see local governments intervening in the game. Like it or not there's a certain level of risk with fast moving objects being thrown and hit. I fear a day when government will force pitching behind L screens or coach pitch until thirteen (or older) years old.

When I played college ball the metal bats were just coming into play. They were junk. I always swung wood. I never thought about wood bats having a drop weight. A 35 was a 35. I swung a 35 inch Mac44 in college (no I wasn't 6'3", 225 ... only 6'1", 185). It was a big, thick, heavy bat. They almost never broke. What I came to realize recently is wood bats can be made with drop weights now. However, the more the drop weight the weaker the bat, and more likely to break.

Comment

Coach, I agree with you.. I always played with whatever wood bat we could get our hands on. And the concentration on weight is more important than the bat.. I try to tell my customers not to worry about the weight, but ask does the bat feel good.. Often I make the bat and give to them without reaffirming the weight that they asked for.. After a few weeks I ask how the bat is doing and a positive response follows.. When I inform them that they are swinging a -1 to -2, they are amazed. But they come back later asking for a lighter stick..LOL..

I had one father ask me if I can make a 30" -13oz for his son... I told him a bat like that in wood will not last past first practice.. I gave him a solid explanation on why it would not make sense, he seemed receptive.. I told him that I could make a -4, but he says thats okay, a -4 will be too heavy.. What????????

I don't believe maple needs to be banned.. Responsible models need to be made.. 7/8" handles or better.. Barrels 2.5" diameter with strong transitions.. Thus, I don't offer to public certain models in maple, without handle/transition alteration.
          9Positions
          9Positions

Comment

I'm having trouble with an order right now dealing with the same thing. Cano wants a G174 with a thinner handle. It's already a cut down H238 and I'm not real comfortable making the handle any smaller.

I'll agree that Maple shouldn't be banned, but better weight ratio's and handle diameter minimums should be instituted over what is currently in place. I mean .845in handle diameter is ridiculous, I try not to make anything smaller than .900. I think they should all use the Weeks model...1.215in diameter handle with a M253 barrel

Comment

BMH ....

What's the diameter on a 243 handle? I believe you told me it's a close wood bat resemblence to the EXO.

Comment

Ouch.. .845" that is ridiculous.. even .90" is really pushing it. I've made some 174's for a customer and the handle is xtremely thin.. I refused to make in maple. BMH, make one and send to him to see/feel that it won't work..
                9Positions
                9Positions

Comment

Never had a batting glove on but I'd bet it makes 1/8-inch difference in comfortable handle size. Test that. Handles got a lot thinner when gloves became popular.
                  Last edited by virg; 05-29-2008, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by virg View Post
                    Never had a batting glove on but I'd bet it makes 1/8-inch difference in comfortable handle size. Test that. Handles got a lot thinner when gloves became popular.
                    Interesting point...
                    "Coaches should teach people to play better baseball, not teach baseball to make better players."
                    "In the Little League manual it says 'Baseball builds character' - that is not true. Baseball reveals character." - Augie Garrido

Comment

Originally posted by BMH View Post
                      I'm having trouble with an order right now dealing with the same thing. Cano wants a G174 with a thinner handle. It's already a cut down H238 and I'm not real comfortable making the handle any smaller.

I'll agree that Maple shouldn't be banned, but better weight ratio's and handle diameter minimums should be instituted over what is currently in place. I mean .845in handle diameter is ridiculous, I try not to make anything smaller than .900. I think they should all use the Weeks model...1.215in diameter handle with a M253 barrel
                      With handles getting that thin, isnt it difficult to keep the weight up for these bats? I thought most of these pros used -2 bats??

Comment

Well with the handles going down the barrel sizes are staying the same or going up. The C243 has a .948in handle I have a Jenkins models with a thinner handle (.020) the J121. It still uses the same billet weight to make. Another good one is Jeff Kendall, this Spring I took his model and took a 1/8th inch off the handle. It's now under .900in. I've mentioned my feelings on this a couple of times and I'm always told, "They're contract players and if we don't make it someone else will."

Taking it off the handle doesn't change the weight as much as making the barrel smaller. To change an ounce of weight on a bat you go up or down two ounces in billet weight.

Aj the .845in is MLB's minimum along with a 3.5oz drop. I would like to see at least a .920in minimum and a 2oz drop. I doubt it will happen though.

Yeah, the G174 shouldn't be made in Maple but it's one of our most popular models. Giambi orders in Ash only, he uses a C243 in Maple. I've got some guys ordering Posada's P320M in Maple now...they order a dozen at a time.
                        Last edited by BMH; 05-29-2008, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Kendle is using ash at least.. I noticed how thin the handle is.. This is a grey area, to fill the orders are great, but I know you care more about the finished product and usefullness. Because other people, teams and players are watching.
                          9Positions
                          9Positions

Comment

I have found that the most comfortable handles for me are between .93 and .95. I think that mandating thicker handles would solve some of the problem. I have someone's take on the R161, and there in no way that beast is breaking Its 33/31 but feels so much lighter b/c of the weight distribution.

BMH,

Jenkins broke a bat the other night and it snapped off right above his hands.

You guys think MLB will allow for fiberglass reinforcement on the handles??
                            See ball, hit ball.

Comment

No fiberglass is or going to be allowed.
                              9Positions
                              9Positions

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X