My buddies swing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My buddies swing

Okay, a member of my adult league team, not a game swing but this is what we get for now.

I picked this swing because it seemed like the most usual swing he took(many swings looked identical).

Sorry about the movie quality, i work with what i can, i'll see if i may be able to make it better.

http://www.freefilehosting.org/publi...ip%20again.wmv
    Last edited by chesspirate; 03-09-2006, 08:35 PM.
    "Do not dismiss what you do not understand"
    "A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice." - Bill Cosby
    "There are sound intellectual grounds for holding faith positions" - Fungo 22

I wouldn't think that swing would generate much power.

Comment

Sorry to be so blunt but it doesn't get much worse.

Get the bat perpendicular to the spine.
      Last edited by Ohfor; 03-10-2006, 05:37 AM.

Comment

I don't think it's that bad for what it is. He does seem to be turning his back hip into his swing. This almost certainly isn't Corey's normal swing (he appears to be in a machine-pitch cage and is simply turning with a quick stride in reaction to the ball), so what we have to say about it isn't much use. Eric, you know what he needs to do, but I suppose he wants a "second opinion." So here's mine:

Instead of dropping his rear elbow to initiate his swing, just connect his bat to his shoulder rotation and then create some shoulder rotation by rotating from the middle. His hips/shoulders should be turning instead of his elbow dropping. Lock the bat into the rear shoulder, lock the front foot closed, stick out his ass, bend over a little and turn.

Another opinion: Get out of the cage.
        Last edited by fungo22; 03-10-2006, 05:00 AM.

Comment

ChessPirate is that the cage over at the golf center on I-15? I remember bumping into a guy over there who told me I should try out for the adult league's after seeing me connect ok in the fast cage. I politely declined due to weight issues and fear of playing too hard before my body was ready and getting injured.

In any case they guy I spoke with that night was the first to turn me onto Nyman and away from Epstein. If that was you thanks it has helped me a ton, and now that I have Steve's stuff has made teaching the kids a lot easier. If that wasn't you no biggie, some other adult leaguer is wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohioteamz
            ChessPirate is that the cage over at the golf center on I-15? I remember bumping into a guy over there who told me I should try out for the adult league's after seeing me connect ok in the fast cage. I politely declined due to weight issues and fear of playing too hard before my body was ready and getting injured.

In any case they guy I spoke with that night was the first to turn me onto Nyman and away from Epstein. If that was you thanks it has helped me a ton, and now that I have Steve's stuff has made teaching the kids a lot easier. If that wasn't you no biggie, some other adult leaguer is wise.

Where are you at in Ohio?

Comment

I am now like Ron Burgundy a San Diegan. However I am from the Youngstown-Warren area and have only been away for a year. I'll probably keep the name as that is where my heart lies, but the wallet was getting a bit light with lack of decent jobs up there.

Comment

That is at the golf-center! And i haven't run into anyone else there who talks about hitting, (Besides me) sounds right that i would have mentioned Nyman some time ago, although i hope i didn't 'turn you away' from Epstien. I think it's good to look at everything and go from there, but for a while i was Setpro crazy, who knows.

This is only Corey's second season of Adult Ball with me, and we just started talking about his swing. (same thing happened with my other two buddies. They got really interested after thier fist season) Last season Corey came to our team and started hot, then settled out and hit okay the rest of the way. We've only played two games this season so far, but like most of the team right now, he's looking to improve upon a slow start (for him)

I also wanted to comment on what fungo said about this being just a reaction to the ball in a cage enviornment swing. Honestly as far as i can tell, this looks like the way he reacts in games as far as i can tell. I'll take some more video (low quality unfortunately) and see what i can see. I don't think it is a vision issue though, he is one of the better eyes on the team (walk totals etc.)

And to put some of you at ease. This IS adult league, so i'll work with Corey if he WANTS to be worked with, or not if he doesn't. He is his own man, and it's not like we're playing even college level ball (tough to say the way we've gotten beat in the past though!) I've told him about this site, sent him a clip of his own swing and he'll go from there.
                "A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice." - Bill Cosby

Comment

Originally posted by chesspirate
                  That is at the golf-center! And i haven't run into anyone else there who talks about hitting, (Besides me) sounds right that i would have mentioned Nyman some time ago, although i hope i didn't 'turn you away' from Epstien. I think it's good to look at everything and go from there, but for a while i was Setpro crazy, who knows.
                  Yea I probably misspoke because the guy I talked didn't so much turn me away from Epstein, he just mentioned Nyman's site as an even better source. It was more along the lines of "Epstein is OK, but check out hm.org". Also whoever I spoke with hit a lot with a thin bat, possibly a thunderstik.

As far as your friend if he gets obsessive enough like most of us around here he'll change his approach. Fungo says get out of the cage, and I think he might be right in terms of focusing on the movement. The cage is great for timing but, with 20 or so balls coming, form is harder to maintain if it isn't part of muscle memory. I'd work from a tee for awhile to work on connection and learning to turn as a unit.

Comment

Because this thread isn't sucking up enough bandwidth, I thought I'd make it a .gif. and include some signpost/markers to help illustrate the issues with this swing, whether as detected by others and me.

The numbers below correspond to the day-glo numbers in the .gif.

1. Uh, not much load or pelvic tension here. Weight too far back. Flat footed. Erect. As the swing starts, he's already opened his front foot, but not his hip.

2. As noted, he starts by dropping his back elbow, not his shoulder. Hip slide begins.

3. Hard to tell because of the slow FPS, but looks like bat drag with that rear elbow. Disconnection complete.

4. Begins to tilt back to the catcher. Almost looks like he's saving the bat drag as he's momentarily into the Power-L, but no, it's pushing the hands forward, as shown in Frames A->B->C. Shoulder rotation barely got started and it's stopped. Posture of course is still too erect.

5. Tilt back to the catcher is exacerbated. Look at the box around his back foot at the bottom. That bug is dead. Hips and shoulders still haven't come around.
                    sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

Comment

Ursa,

What program do you use to convert video files to .gif?

Comment

Ohio: Yeah, that had to be me, i'm the only person i know that uses the Thunderstick in the cages. I do it more to freak people out than anything else, i'm not sure it is conducive to good mechanics when swung full speed at a moving object.

Ursa: Thanks fog posting that up, even with the sub-par quality video, I think you pointed out the main points.

Comment

Originally posted by CoachZee
                          Ursa,

What program do you use to convert video files to .gif?
                          I know you asked Ursa, but I thought I'd chime in too.

I use Jasc Animation Shop.

Comment

Originally posted by Ursa Major
                            1. Uh, not much load or pelvic tension here. Weight too far back. Flat footed. Erect. As the swing starts, he's already opened his front foot, but not his hip.

2. As noted, he starts by dropping his back elbow, not his shoulder. Hip slide begins.

3. Hard to tell because of the slow FPS, but looks like bat drag with that rear elbow. Disconnection complete.

4. Begins to tilt back to the catcher. Almost looks like he's saving the bat drag as he's momentarily into the Power-L, but no, it's pushing the hands forward, as shown in Frames A->B->C. Shoulder rotation barely got started and it's stopped. Posture of course is still too erect.

5. Tilt back to the catcher is exacerbated. Look at the box around his back foot at the bottom. That bug is dead. Hips and shoulders still haven't come around.
                            UM:

Very good clip and some good analysis, in my opinion. I've gotten into a bad habit of skipping the analysis and just giving my opinion on what a hitter should do.

I disagree with a couple minor points, however. I don't think his tilt toward catcher is too much, and I don't think he is squishing the bug in the conventional sense. In my experience, most bug squishers start their spin with their weight still back further. It looks to me as if Corey is actually driving his back hip/side forward. It is just not efficient due to a couple things you've pointed out: Poor lower body posture (no "sitting" or spinal tilt), hip slide (lack of stability from front leg) and the fact that he's too intent on using his hands/arms.

I do agree that he could better learn to rotate the back hip "against" the back leg if he would turn the back foot in toward the front and just turn his hips without pivoting on the back foot. If he can't produce at least the same rotation he's producing in this swing, then maybe he is turning with his back foot/leg instead of from the middle after all.

Eric: You know my position on learning to swing in the cage. In my opinion, he needs to address the issues UM raises. If he would assume the position in the frame just before the frame numbered 1 in UM's clip, turn both feet inward (pigeon-toed and knock-kneed), stick his ass out with a little tilt across the plate, create some tension in his rear scap and front arm (locking his knob the position in that frame - bat tip just a little more toward SS) and then just turn his torso/shoulders from the middle, he'd have the beginnings of a pretty good swing.

After doing that a couple hundred times, he could get back in the cage, assume the same position and just turn into machine-pitched balls.
                            Last edited by fungo22; 03-10-2006, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Coach Zee -- I use Jasc's Animation Shop 3 too. It's $39 bucks but it comes for free with their Paint Shop Pro program, which you usually can get for $39 as well if you shop around. Animation Shop 3 was in older Paint Shop Pro versions as well, which you usually can get for about $10 on Ebay.

Fungo, thanks for the enlightenment. I was focussing on just putting the .gif up with the Dayglo signposts to make it easier for others to identify what step in the swing they were discussing. But, I figured that I should explain why I thought those particular frames were significant enough to be marked. I wasn't sure that the tilting back toward the catcher was a problem in itself, but it seemed to be a pretty good indicator that he wasn't driving into his front leg much.
                              sigpicIt's not whether you fall -- everyone does -- but how you come out of the fall that counts.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X