Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PhilliesPhan22 View Post
    Nokona gloves still made here?
    All but the little league and "Hand Crafted" series are American made in Nokona, Texas. I prefer most of their models over the Rawlings current HOH line. I imagine pressure will soon have them bringing out a kip range of gloves, if they haven't already. I have a Nokona 1125 CW that was very lightly injected with oil, broke in very well and is very robust, and states it was made in America in no less than 3 places.

Here's my most recent one I just bought the other day:

WYK
    Last edited by wyk; 06-02-2008, 02:53 AM.

Comment

I want one, but they are a bit pricey. My LS Omaha will ahve to do.
      See ball, hit ball.

Comment

Originally posted by 59FIFTY View Post
        Well i saw a Rawlings HOH, 11.5" H-web on ebay that was a custom one; all camel, tan laces and it had St. Louis Pro Shop stamped on it.....Where are the MLB/Pro gloves made?
        Pro gloves are made in St Louis. The one you saw on ebay was an Eastbay ordered glove from the St. Louis Pro Shop. All of my HOH gloves (3 custom also) were made off shore. Folks who collect HOH gloves and are very knowledgeable (picky) in the construction details say the Phillippines glove exceed the quality of the US made gloves, especially this more recent run from EastBay. Nevertheless, I may still order a St. Louis glove just for the fun of it.

I have been pleased with all of the HOH gloves, and received great service at a good price from HQ4Sports.com. Apparently the guy at customglove.com can configure almost any glove you can build from the Rawlings site cheaper, but you have to call and place the order over the phone.
        Have Fun and Play Hard!

Chuck Faulkner
        Tazewell TN 37879
        The Glove Medic

Comment

i just got my HOH pro200-9jb glove today and it seems like a very solid glove...despite the fact that it may be made outside the US...the leather is EXTREMELY hard so the break in process might take a while...any ideas on how to soften the leather besides playing catch?

Comment

I bought HOH a few weeks ago, and it's coming along nicely so I'll let you know what I've done.

I played catch with it for a week, then cleaned it with a damp cloth, let it dry, rubbed it down with vaseline, put a ball in the pocket, wrapped it in an old T-shirt, and then put it under my mattress for a week and slept on it. When I took it out the pocket was nicely formed, and I just keep on playing catch with it and vaseline-ing it about once a week.

By the way, I initially got these ideas from StraightGrain (except for the mattress bit, that was my addition). Credit where it's due.
            WAMCO!

Comment

Originally posted by UMRebels13 View Post
              It isn't really where they were made, but when they were made in the US, they used horween leather. Now they use cheaper, thinner, and pre-oiled leathers.
              i e-mailed ryan farrar...the assistant product manager at Rawlings about the use of horween leather and this is his response:
              Steve

The black HOH gloves are still from Horween. Also the new HOH Dual Core
              gloves are from Horween. The Burgundy HOH gloves are not from Horween, but
              are still selected from the top 5% of the cow hide selection.

Thanks

Ryan Farrar
              Assistant Product Manager
              Rawlings Sporting Goods
              (314) 819 2950
              [email protected]

so...pretty much just don't buy the burgundy colored HOH gloves and stick to the black ones and it should be very similar to the ones made in the US

Comment

Well my $20 rawlings from target just fell apart.

Any opinions on this glove?

http://www.ballgloves.com/cgi-local/p.pl?GLG1250RG

Description Mizuno Legacy Series 12.5" Almond Outfield Glove

Comment

Originally posted by nicks0r View Post
                  Well my $20 rawlings from target just fell apart.

Any opinions on this glove?

http://www.ballgloves.com/cgi-local/p.pl?GLG1250RG

Description Mizuno Legacy Series 12.5" Almond Outfield Glove
                  That looks like a pretty nice glove...but for that price range i would probably go with the Nike Pro Tradition Gloves...nobody really looks into them but they're really nice gloves for its price

Comment

Originally posted by stl002 View Post
                    That looks like a pretty nice glove...but for that price range i would probably go with the Nike Pro Tradition Gloves...nobody really looks into them but they're really nice gloves for its price

Here is a solid glove for an outfielder http://www.ballgloves.com/cgi-local/p.pl?GG303
                    Have Fun and Play Hard!

Chuck Faulkner
                    Tazewell TN 37879
                    The Glove Medic

Comment

I have a Rawlings Gold Glove Series almost exactly like posted by Medic.... same color, same size, except I have the Trap-Eze Web (the six finger web). Very flexible, bit also the strongest web out there.....

My son has a top of the line Mizuno Custom Classic (pick your own web, colors, lace colors, embroidered name on the back fingers of the glove) and it is excellent. Mizuno's will be very soft when compared to the Gold Glove and will be as soft as an al-dente noodle when compared to the HOH.

Don't let that softness fool you.... he's had it for several seasons and it is holding up very well. The softness seems to be for reducing break in time only. The glove really has not gotten any softer or the overall glove lost it's shape at all after the initial break in treatment.

Good luck!
                      "Herman Franks to Sal Yvars to Bobby Thomson. Ralph Branca to Bobby Thomson to Helen Rita... cue Russ Hodges."

Comment

US gloves

Nokona and Trevino are the only US made gloves. Trevino are out of Texas. http://www.trevinogloves.net/index.htmValle gloves are made by Trevino here in the US. The gloves are stiff, but built like tanks. Once broke in, they should last forever. http://www.funtasticsports.com/valle-pro-gloves-usa.htm
                        Plus, I love sitting watching my Reds while I work on my gloves.
                        And this one belongs to the Reds!

Comment

I ordered a HOH Custom glove and recieved it last week. I called to make an adjustment after the order and when I asked them if my glove would be made of Horween Leather, the guy said yes. The glove isn't really stiff like the old Rawlings Horween leather gloves used to be. Maybe it is just pre-oiled or treated Horween leather?

My HOH glove is tan (darker than they used to be, more of a orangish tint). Here's a picture:

www.glovedoctor.net

Comment

like i said earlier...SICK ASS GLOVE...but yea, when i talked to rawlings, they said that a lot of their gloves are still made from horween leather, i guess it's just oil treated horween leather...i kinda like it tho...o yea, stay away from the oxblood hoh gloves if you're so set on horween...personally, i like the feel of the oxblood ones and i can't really tell the difference between those and say a black hoh...both are incredibly stiff

Comment

Originally posted by stl002 View Post
                              when i talked to rawlings, they said that a lot of their gloves are still made from horween leather, i guess it's just oil treated horween leather...i kinda like it tho
                              I think you are right. Horween is just a company that has been around since 1905 (based in Chicago). I think the main difference in the gloves THEN compared to NOW is the way they are treated. I could be wrong. I think we all miss the "firm/stiff" gloves from 10-15 years ago.

Last year I got one of those Nike Pro Gold Tradition 1st Base mitts, and it was EXACTLY stiff like the older Rawlings mitts. It even has stamped on it something about being made the classic way. It's the same glove that Derrek Lee uses. It is broken in now, but it was so stiff - I haven't seen a glove like it since I got my Rawlings HOH TB24 trapeze back in 1994.

I really think these treated leather gloves now make for a much easier and quicker break.
                              www.glovedoctor.net

Comment

FYI, I asked some questions and got some answers.....

Ryan,

1) What exactly is "Horween Leather." Is it a brand, or a certain cut from the hide? I can remember the Heart of the Hide gloves I would get in the mid-90's and believe they were made of Horween. The gloves back then were very stiff when new, but eventually broke in nicely.

2) Have the oil treatments to leather made the same quality leather seem different? My new Rawlings gloves seem almost game ready when new, as compared to 10 or 15 years ago when it would take a while before they were game-ready.

3) I just got a new customized HOH glove. I have always wondered what the letter stamp on the glove meant. My new glove has the "ESER" stamp on it.

4) How are the glove models named?

5) Can you explain the difference between the leather used in HOH gloves and Pro Preferred gloves? I have noticed that my PP gloves are a bit thicker.

These are all FAQs, I'm sure. Thanks for your time!

Gabe

Rawlings said...
                                Hi Gabe,

Here's my responses to your questions:

1.)Horween is a US leather supplier from the USA that Rawlings has used for more than 50 years.

2.) The oil treatments affect the stiffness of the glove. Typically, young athletes dont like taking the time to break in their gloves anymore. As a result, we have adjusted the tannage for a softer glove made out of the same durable, high quality leather.

3.) The letters ESER are a letter system that we use internally to track gloves. It is confidential and can not be reveled Sorry!

4.) HOH is made out of Adult cows and steer, where Pro Preferred are made out of younger cows where he leather grain is flawless and tighter.

Hope that helps!

Ryan Farrar
                                Rawlings Asst. Prod. Manager
                                www.glovedoctor.net

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X