• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    stl002

• stl002
    replied
    Originally posted by UMRebels13 View Post
    It isn't really where they were made, but when they were made in the US, they used horween leather. Now they use cheaper, thinner, and pre-oiled leathers.
    i e-mailed ryan farrar...the assistant product manager at Rawlings about the use of horween leather and this is his response:
    Steve

The black HOH gloves are still from Horween. Also the new HOH Dual Core
    gloves are from Horween. The Burgundy HOH gloves are not from Horween, but
    are still selected from the top 5% of the cow hide selection.

Thanks

Ryan Farrar
    Assistant Product Manager
    Rawlings Sporting Goods
    (314) 819 2950
    [email protected]

so...pretty much just don't buy the burgundy colored HOH gloves and stick to the black ones and it should be very similar to the ones made in the US

Leave a comment:

• Richmond Hill Phoenix
    Many Registered Uses

• Richmond Hill Phoenix
    replied
    I bought HOH a few weeks ago, and it's coming along nicely so I'll let you know what I've done.

I played catch with it for a week, then cleaned it with a damp cloth, let it dry, rubbed it down with vaseline, put a ball in the pocket, wrapped it in an old T-shirt, and then put it under my mattress for a week and slept on it. When I took it out the pocket was nicely formed, and I just keep on playing catch with it and vaseline-ing it about once a week.

By the way, I initially got these ideas from StraightGrain (except for the mattress bit, that was my addition). Credit where it's due.

Leave a comment:

• stl002

• stl002
    replied
    i just got my HOH pro200-9jb glove today and it seems like a very solid glove...despite the fact that it may be made outside the US...the leather is EXTREMELY hard so the break in process might take a while...any ideas on how to soften the leather besides playing catch?

Leave a comment:

• glovemedic
    Certifiable Glove Nut

• glovemedic
    replied
    Originally posted by 59FIFTY View Post
    Well i saw a Rawlings HOH, 11.5" H-web on ebay that was a custom one; all camel, tan laces and it had St. Louis Pro Shop stamped on it.....Where are the MLB/Pro gloves made?
    Pro gloves are made in St Louis. The one you saw on ebay was an Eastbay ordered glove from the St. Louis Pro Shop. All of my HOH gloves (3 custom also) were made off shore. Folks who collect HOH gloves and are very knowledgeable (picky) in the construction details say the Phillippines glove exceed the quality of the US made gloves, especially this more recent run from EastBay. Nevertheless, I may still order a St. Louis glove just for the fun of it.

I have been pleased with all of the HOH gloves, and received great service at a good price from HQ4Sports.com. Apparently the guy at customglove.com can configure almost any glove you can build from the Rawlings site cheaper, but you have to call and place the order over the phone.

Leave a comment:

• PhilliesPhan22
    Student of the Game

• PhilliesPhan22
    replied
    I want one, but they are a bit pricey. My LS Omaha will ahve to do.

Leave a comment:

• wyk

• wyk
    replied
    Originally posted by PhilliesPhan22 View Post
    Nokona gloves still made here?
    All but the little league and "Hand Crafted" series are American made in Nokona, Texas. I prefer most of their models over the Rawlings current HOH line. I imagine pressure will soon have them bringing out a kip range of gloves, if they haven't already. I have a Nokona 1125 CW that was very lightly injected with oil, broke in very well and is very robust, and states it was made in America in no less than 3 places.

Here's my most recent one I just bought the other day:

WYK
    wyk
    Last edited by wyk; 06-02-2008, 03:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• PhilliesPhan22
    Student of the Game

• PhilliesPhan22
    replied
    Nokona gloves still made here?

Leave a comment:

• 59FIFTY

• 59FIFTY
    replied
    Originally posted by glovemedic View Post
    They say no. I have that from a reliable source at the plant. Those are also made off shore. Only the EastBay gloves are made in the Washington MO plant.
    Well i saw a Rawlings HOH, 11.5" H-web on ebay that was a custom one; all camel, tan laces and it had St. Louis Pro Shop stamped on it.

Where are the MLB/Pro gloves made?

Leave a comment:

• glovemedic
    Certifiable Glove Nut

• glovemedic
    replied
    Originally posted by 59FIFTY View Post
    http://www.rawlings.com/customglove/

These are made in the Rawlings St. Louis Pro shop.
    They say no. I have that from a reliable source at the plant. Those are also made off shore. Only the EastBay gloves are made in the Washington MO plant.
    glovemedic
    Certifiable Glove Nut
    Last edited by glovemedic; 06-01-2008, 08:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• stl002

• stl002
    replied
    I went to my local sport chalet and after putting my hands in about 6 or 7 gloves, which included some pp other hoh, and wilson a2000's the rawlings pro200 9jb was the "stiffest" glove...i can't even imagine how hard the ones made from horween leather were

Leave a comment:

• LAball

• LAball
    replied
    I still use a wilson glove thats about 20 years old. I found that old little league glove of mine last year all moldy. I soaked and washed it in bleach water to get the mold out. Its not moldy anymore. Its a little soft, but I could still play catch with it. Im not saying I would use it in a game.

I dont think you need the best leather and it will still work for a long time. And my vote goes to break in > the great leather.

Leave a comment:

• Paulypal
    Met Fan Re-Set 2020

• Paulypal
    replied
    You can get Horween leather made gloves at ballgloves.com. They are still made in the Phillipines though.

The made in the USA thing has become a big want, but like was stated earlier its the leather that is the important thing as far as glove quality go.

You can get some made in the USA gloves on Ebay - I have bought a few, the problem is they are mostly atleast 10 years old...so they are either very used, and if they are new they have been stored somewhere and for some reason have lost their stiffness.

One thing that Rawlings has done is threaded their HOH gloves right through the middle of the fingers and put "stays" in the thumb and pinky allowing the glove to keep their shape.

The current HOH gloves are not as good as the made in the USA gloves are when they were new, but they are still top level gloves.

Glovesmith Elite gloves are about as close as your going to get to the old Rawlings leather. Problem with Glovesmith is they dont have a huge choice of "off the shelf" gloves. You are better off going with their Custom glove program.

I spoke to someone at Glovesmith and they were telling me that a big part of the downgrade in leather is because players dont want to take forever to break in their glove. I found that absurd but I see players on the softball board I belong to and they are more concerned about break in time then glove quality so I guess it has some merit. Not by me. I rather take a long time to break it in and have a top quality glove.

Leave a comment:

• StraightGrain11

• StraightGrain11
    replied
    Originally posted by UMRebels13 View Post
    It isn't really where they were made, but when they were made in the US, they used horween leather. Now they use cheaper, thinner, and pre-oiled leathers.
    I know of a place you can still order a few made out of the Horween Leather, I just got one last year. And trust me, its VERY stiff (and not "pre-oiled", at all).

Leave a comment:

• stl002

• stl002
    replied
    so...would this glove be made in the US:
    http://www.ballgloves.com/cgi-local/p.pl?PRO6HF

Leave a comment:

• UMRebels13

• UMRebels13
    replied
    Originally posted by stl002 View Post
    what's the main difference btwn the HOH's made in the US and those that are made out of the US (i'm assuming they're made in china now...)

Leave a comment:

Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X