Intentional walks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nater44 View Post
    A good honest thought. I'd disagree to some extent, but that's ok. I just lump the learn and accomplish parts together a little more closely than you.

Thanks for the contribution.
    I went to a Little League game last evening and spoke with a dad of one of the players and he expressed a similar position... After some discussion he stated, "I guess looking back on the process things become clearer than looking forward."
    "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
    - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
    Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

At the 9-10 year old rec club level there should be no intentional walks.It was the bottom of the 6th, runner on 3rd,2 outs and we were down 6-5.I just believe at this level you let the kid hit.This is not the major leagues or high school ball.Alot coaches get so caught up in winning that they forget that at this level its about the kids.Alot of coaches dont even teach the kids the fundamentals,they just teach them a couple of things that they think will enable them to win a championship.For example on the team my son is on all the coach does at practice is batting practice. He doesnt teach the kids how to run the bases,or infield practice,or how to catch a fly ball,or how to slide,or double plays,or cutoffs,or pitching,or how to slide.I am told at the travel level the kids get taught all of that and they start practicing around Jan.as a team.

Comment

Originally posted by fredbio View Post
        What do you guys think about a coach that issues an intentional walk to a batter in a 9-10 year old rec club league? I say that is a bush league move in a rec club league.At this level you let the kid hit.You do not take the bat out of his hands.

I don't know I would go as far as to say it is "bush", I just wouldn't do it at this age. JMO

Comment

Nevermind...
          THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

Comment

Intentional walks are sometimes under used....

When I coached a AAA 12u team (mostly 9 and 10 year olds), on a couple of occassions I asked to intentionally walk the batter with a runner on 2nd and 2 outs to set up a force at 2nd and 3rd as well as at first.

Sure, you'd like to have your kids be able to go the long way to first, but in reality a lot of ground balls hit to the left side of the infield are infield singles or E-5 and sometimes E-6s on the throw. You don't necessarily have to issue the intentional walk. Employing the same strategy, you could have your 3B or SS hold the runner @ second and not throw to first (or allowing the runner to advance to 3B or possibly score on an overthrow). That however, in my mind, makes the IBB the lesser of two evils.

Obviously, the game situation, your pitcher, and some other things come into play. I wouldn't advocate doing that if we were in a favorable position on the scoreboard both in terms of runs and innings to play. You certainly want to talk with the kids and tell them why you're doing it and how it changes more into a strategy executed with less than 2 outs, to set up a double-play as they get older and more skilled.
            There are two kinds of losers.....Those that don't do what they are told, and those that do only what they are told.

Comment

Originally posted by shake-n-bake View Post
              When I coached a AAA 12u team (mostly 9 and 10 year olds), on a couple of occassions I asked to intentionally walk the batter with a runner on 2nd and 2 outs to set up a force at 2nd and 3rd as well as at first.

Sure, you'd like to have your kids be able to go the long way to first, but in reality a lot of ground balls hit to the left side of the infield are infield singles or E-5 and sometimes E-6s on the throw. You don't necessarily have to issue the intentional walk. Employing the same strategy, you could have your 3B or SS hold the runner @ second and not throw to first (or allowing the runner to advance to 3B or possibly score on an overthrow). That however, in my mind, makes the IBB the lesser of two evils.

Obviously, the game situation, your pitcher, and some other things come into play. I wouldn't advocate doing that if we were in a favorable position on the scoreboard both in terms of runs and innings to play. You certainly want to talk with the kids and tell them why you're doing it and how it changes more into a strategy executed with less than 2 outs, to set up a double-play as they get older and more skilled.
              There are reasons that make sense. The above would fall in that category. Safety is another. We had a young man who hit 26 HR's in our LL one season. The only reason why he didn't hit 50 was because he was intentionally walked a great deal due to safety. He now plays for the Mariners' organization.
              "He who dares to teach, must never cease to learn."
              - John Cotton Dana (1856–1929) - Offered to many by L. Olson - Iowa (Teacher)
              Please read Baseball Fever Policy and Forum FAQ before posting.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake Patterson View Post
                There are reasons that make sense. The above would fall in that category. Safety is another. We had a young man who hit 26 HR's in our LL one season. The only reason why he didn't hit 50 was because he was intentionally walked a great deal due to safety. He now plays for the Mariners' organization.
                Who is that guy Jake?
                Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake. sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X