Medicus Bat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medicus Bat

Has anyone used this training device? Where can I find this product? I have seen the "Hindge Bat" but I can't seem to locate the "Medicus Bat" .

EL,

Are you sure it's not a golf product?

http://www.medicus.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Erik
      Has anyone used this training device? Where can I find this product? I have seen the "Hindge Bat" but I can't seem to locate the "Medicus Bat" .
      EL,
      Pretty sure this was Nyman's term for a bat he created when demonstrating some swing plane & momentum transfer concepts. Name obviously came from the medicus golf club mentioned above. Idea is similar to simulate the weight on the end of the rope swing from Adair's The Physics of Baseball. The hinge bat is a commercial version of it.

Comment

metalwood bats make them if your willing to shell it out.

Comment

wow!

Originally posted by wogdoggy
          metalwood bats make them if your willing to shell it out.
          what is the purpose of this device? This seems a little steep for this product. Please explain why this product is needed.

EL,

Comment

Bat

Originally posted by jsiggy
            Pretty sure this was Nyman's term for a bat he created when demonstrating some swing plane & momentum transfer concepts. Name obviously came from the medicus golf club mentioned above. Idea is similar to simulate the weight on the end of the rope swing from Adair's The Physics of Baseball. The hinge bat is a commercial version of it.

Would you consider this product something that will develop a swing? If so in what way ? Please anyone explain.

EL,

Comment

Make your own

This bat is very easy to make
              Attached Files

Comment

one more

another picture
                Attached Files

Comment

is that dangerous? wow! do you hit balls with it?

Comment

Posture, connection and rotation

No it isnt dangerous.

To hit with it you have to be connected. If you are disconnected at all you will know. It also helps with some swing plane issues. If you are a hands to the ball guy or a swing down guy you will find out in a hurry.

Comment

Way more effective than the HBH.

Comment

Adam looks like he used the exact same materials as I did when making mine. Two heavy duty eyebolts and a single adjustable link. Works pretty well. Cost about $5.50 (plus an old beat up bat) if I recall.

And yes you can definitely hit with this bat. If you disconnect or use the hands to the ball approach, the bat head is dead. You can really feel it when you get good momentum transfer though.

Another option... I have an assistant/friend who uses some mooring rope for the same purpose - 1-1/2" diameter very heavy manilla rope - that works well too. You can't hit the ball as far (further than you might think though), but you also don't have the follow-through worry (I recommend a top hand release with the hinged bat - or else it hurts). I think the rope may be as good or even the better choice for swing plane issues - but not as good for other momentum transfer issues. Cost of the rope bat was about $2.50 ($0.79/ft).

If you're trying to decide which to use/make, the kids I've worked with seem to like the hinged bat better (primarily because they like watching the ball fly further), but the rope bat is safer - may be better for younger kids.

Edited to reword (hopefully clearer), add last paragraph, and link in photo of both hinge bat and rope bat that I made. I found the rope at a local hardware store. (I left it a little long just for the added weight.)
                        Last edited by jsiggy; 03-15-2006, 04:29 PM.

Comment

You can definitely hit with this bat. But actually I have a friend who uses some mooring rope for the same purpose - probably 1-1/2" diameter and very heavy - that I think works even better. You don't have to worry about the follow through (I have to use release tophand with this hinged bat or it hurts whereas the rope I don't).[/QUOTE]

Do you put the rope in the middle and still use the two bolts that screw into the bats ends?

EL,

Comment

Originally posted by Erik
                            Do you put the rope in the middle and still use the two bolts that screw into the bats ends?
                            No, sorry I wasn't clear. I edited the above photo to add the rope bat I created.
                            Last edited by jsiggy; 03-15-2006, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Eric

You're always lurking...

.....and learning.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X