Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat through contact

[/QUOTE]

I'm just taking notice of how flat Pujols is staying through that ball. This is how he gets the unbelievable carry on his ball that he does. They don't finish "down" through the ball. They finish "Flat" through the ball. This creates a ball that is mashed, combined with backspin.

Notice in this clip how Barry Finishes Low, his top hand staying flat and not coming up..watch how his bat stays flat and the ball takes off up. This is the "good" extension that we try to get through contact.

Here's another shot of him finishing flat through the ball.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

There always seems to be someone for who all this is brand new. Ask yourself what is the one constant in terms of swing plane compared to the body on any MLB swing where the hitter wasn't fooled. Once you have this, then ask yourself what this would mean in terms of swing plane on a high pitch versus a low pitch. This is an open book test and all the answers are on this web site.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark H
        There always seems to be someone for who all this is brand new.
        Are you talking to me?

Comment

Originally posted by hiddengem
          Are you talking to me?
          HG - How is your new hitting coach? I'm curious as to what style/technique/method they are teaching or reinforcing.
          BTW - good luck (Colton is an avid card collector and would love to have an autographed card of a professional ball player that has worked with him.

Comment

Originally posted by tadlock11
            HG - How is your new hitting coach? I'm curious as to what style/technique/method they are teaching or reinforcing.
            BTW - good luck (Colton is an avid card collector and would love to have an autographed card of a professional ball player that has worked with him.

Don't know yet..but I doubt I'll spend a whole lot of time with him. But I will listen to his philosophy, and let you know.

As for the card..I would be glad to sign it for him..Have him drop it in the mail and send it to our complex in Peoria, AZ. Put a self addressed envelope in there as well, and I'll send it back.

Comment

Isn't the height of the finish related to the height of the pitch.

Or...

Bonds Low Pitch

And...

Isn't "both hands in line in the swing plane" a better description of what you call "flat hands".

Flat to the swing plane......not flat to the ground.
              Last edited by Ohfor; 03-11-2006, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Ohfor beat me to it... I was about to ask for your definition of finishing flat through the ball?

Comment

Originally posted by Ohfor
                  Isn't "both hands in line in the swing plane" a better description of what you call "flat hands".
                  Nice description.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohfor
                    Isn't the height of the finish related to the height of the pitch.

Or...

Bonds Low Pitch

And...

Isn't "both hands in the swing plane" a better description of what you call "flat hands".

Flat to the swing plane......not flat to the ground.
                    Yes, I would agree, I think the hands staying on the swing plane is a good description. If the ball is low and more tilt is involved, there will be an appearance of a higher finish because the swing plane is tilted more as well.

I think this thread might be a good one for those that are new to all of this, and want to know how the best get the ball in the air, and are able to make it travel a long way.

Its not by trying to lift the ball. I think you run into trouble with topspinning the ball, when you don't concentrate on staying flat on that swing plane "Through Contact".
                    Last edited by hiddengem; 03-11-2006, 08:54 PM.

Comment

I'd like to hear Steve's take on this. Steve? I know that was something you were really harping on me about. Staying on the swing plane through contact and not coming out of it.

Comment

This really has very little to do with where the hitter finishes. Personally, my mental cue is to stay down through the ball. Don't let the word "down" fool you into thinking "chop," cause that's not it at all. In fact it's the opposite. It's a reminder that even on low pitches, to stay down through the ball. Emphasize the word through, always.

The natural swing plane seems like an uppercut, and when taken in whole it is slightly. But there is a point, a zone just upon contact; where the bat needs to stay flat to get optimal backspin on the ball. Sheffield does this very well on low pitches. In fact, almost too good. If you only looked at his swing, and couldn't see the pitch or the trajectory of the ball after it leaves his bat, you'd think he hit a screaming grounder to the left side. But it gets perfect backspin by staying "flat" or "down" through the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by Sultan_1895-1948
                          ... But there is a point, a zone just upon contact; where the bat needs to stay flat to get optimal backspin on the ball...
                          Hogwash.......

Comment

Put a tracer on Pujols' hands and tell me there isn't a zone where he stays flat through the ball.

With the pitch coming in at a slight downward angle, in order to get optimal backspin, you need to stay flat through. Disagree if you must. You keep doin' it you're way, I'll keep doin' it mine.

Comment

Sultan:

Got to agree w/ Ohfor on the whole "hit the ball just right to get backspin," thing.

As Ted Williams said, when someone was waxing on this very topic:

"if you're that good, why don't you just hit the exact middle of the ball more often?"

Fair question.

Also, I don't think the pitch typically comes in at "a slight downward angle." Can be more like as much as about 30 degrees - at the knees - w/ a Big League curve ball.

Regards,

Scott
                              Last edited by ssarge; 03-11-2006, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X