No announcement yet.

Flat through contact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One more reason not to throw a hanging curve.

Comment

Nice shot of Teddy Ballgame......
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mark H
        What I said went over your head and you repeated what you have said before.
        Mark, are you having family issues again? If not, don't talk to me like I'm 3. If all you can do is come back with some smart ass remark, don't respond at all.

I knew exactly what you were saying, don't give yourself too much credit by thinking you can say something to me that might go over my head.

Comment

One more reason not to throw a hanging curve.
          And another reason not to have your axis to far back on a fastball. Did you like that Mark?

Comment

-------Mac-----------
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by hiddengem
              Why do you think Barry talks so much about the importance of his top hand? He uses it to stay flat through contact, to get tremendous carry on his balls. Same with Chavez, Glenn Allen Hill, Ryne Sandberg, Pujols and the list could go on. Your top hands is very important to the swing. If you are lazy with it, you will be under alot of balls and get beat often with a good fastball(90+).
              If you start talking to kids about emphasizing the top hand I predict pushing disconnection. Most kids have trouble learning to connect their bottom hand to rotation but they are adept at getting happy and active with the top hand and screwing things up. When you start talking about cues and feelings, the world you and Barry inhabit is in another parallel universe. Using the same cues etc with kids is inviting disaster IME. Now when you start talking about observed reality, that's a different matter.

Comment

Mark, are you having family issues again? If not, don't talk to me like I'm 3. If all you can do is come back with some smart ass remark, don't respond at all.

I knew exactly what you were saying, don't give yourself too much credit by thinking you can say something to me that might go over my head.
                No, I don't think you got my meaning. Scott has better communication skills and less of a tendency to sound like a smart ass. If I sound jaded it's because I've gone over this same stuff so many times. Maybe it's my fault.

Comment

If you start talking to kids about emphasizing the top hand I predict pushing disconnection. Most kids have trouble learning to connect their bottom hand to rotation but they are adept at getting happy and active with the top hand and screwing things up. When you start talking about cues and feelings, the world you and Barry inhabit is in another parallel universe. Using the same cues etc with kids is inviting disaster IME. Now when you start talking about observed reality, that's a different matter.
                  Well if you fail to address the importance of the top hand the kids you teach will never understand how to get on top of a good fastball.

Comment

How about you and Steve discuss this in person next time you get together?

Comment

How about you and Steve discuss this in person next time you get together?

I spent alot of time with Steve....and we didn't spend alot of time addressing how to hit a fast ball up in the zone. We may or may not agree. I have a DVD with Barry hitting a highfastball and it is ALL top hand.

Comment

Well if you fail to address the importance of the top hand the kids you teach will never understand how to get on top of a good fastball.
                        I'm not getting what the importance of the top hand is here. Doesn't the bottom line still point to swing plane. IOW, adjust posture to pitch location, including a fb up in the zone and allow the bat to find the rotational plane of the shoulders to give you the best opportunity to intersect the ball. We aren't trying to match the pitch plane anyway. I don't think swinging up or staying flat means a whole lot, at least in the context of teaching kids. And I'm not discounting what any MLB'rs think/thought or felt or used as a cue to get the job done. The pictures you drew on show the bat in the rotational plane of the shoulders. Adjust posture, connect up to rotation and let the bat run into the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by 4for4
                          I'm not getting what the importance of the top hand is here. Doesn't the bottom line still point to swing plane. IOW, adjust posture to pitch location, including a fb up in the zone and allow the bat to find the rotational plane of the shoulders to give you the best opportunity to intersect the ball. We aren't trying to match the pitch plane anyway. I don't think swinging up or staying flat means a whole lot, at least in the context of teaching kids. And I'm not discounting what any MLB'rs think/thought or felt or used as a cue to get the job done. The pictures you drew on show the bat in the rotational plane of the shoulders. Adjust posture, connect up to rotation and let the bat run into the ball.
                          Well then the pictures I posted are not doing any justice to what I'm talking about. I have the video of some these swings but I can't get them to work. I can send you some .mpeg files if you pm me your email addy.

Comment

bond righty

is it just me or is bonds hitting right handed to me this video clip looks wierd

Comment

Originally posted by Toriihunter48

is it just me or is bonds hitting right handed to me this video clip looks wierd

Naa, its just you.

Comment

Maybee it's just me, but it seems like a lot of lefties that get turned around to the right side look lots better than righties that turn to the left side.

It makes me wonder if lefties usually do just have better swings than righties ( as noted in general baseball talk) and if that's the case, what are the minor points i'm missing, or what is causing me to go crazy?

Also, it helps to see the good lefties from the right just to compare them more easily to other hitters.
                                "Do not dismiss what you do not understand"
                                "A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones who need the advice." - Bill Cosby
                                "There are sound intellectual grounds for holding faith positions" - Fungo 22

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X