Torso

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torso

Does setting up the "Torso" in a vertical postion in the stance effect the rotation of the swing? I just recieved a video from a DR. John White who has teamed up with Robert Adair and Mont Hubbard at times discussing the physics of baseball. The video that I looked at is called the Science of Batting Mechanics by Dr. John White. In this video John explains the importance of the Torso being vertical to maintain effective rotation. John discribed the loss of speed that can happen if the hitter has his body bent over toward the plate when hitting. This demonstration was shown with the use of "Spinning Tops". The demonstration showed an example of the "Spinning Top" being tilted when begining to spin this clearly showed the loss of rotation. Steve E, Ohfor, Swingbuster, Sandman, Tom, Hiddengem, etc. what's your thoughts on this?

EL,

It's like deja-vu all over again. h

Comment

Unless I'm misunderstanding you - most MLB hitters that I've seen are tilted.
      Last edited by tadlock11; 03-12-2006, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Maybe White has been reading Marshall.

Perhaps if rotation/spinning were the goal, White might have a point, but hitting a baseball is the task at hand. Rotation or spinning is a manner that doesn't allow consistent hard contact with the bat on the ball is useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik
          Does setting up the "Torso" in a vertical postion in the stance effect the rotation of the swing? I just recieved a video from a DR. John White who has teamed up with Robert Adair and Mont Hubbard at times discussing the physics of baseball. The video that I looked at is called the Science of Batting Mechanics by Dr. John White. In this video John explains the importance of the Torso being vertical to maintain effective rotation. John discribed the loss of speed that can happen if the hitter has his body bent over toward the plate when hitting. This demonstration was shown with the use of "Spinning Tops". The demonstration showed an example of the "Spinning Top" being tilted when begining to spin this clearly showed the loss of rotation. Steve E, Ohfor, Swingbuster, Sandman, Tom, Hiddengem, etc. what's your thoughts on this?

EL,
          Are they saying that you should have a verticle torso at setup or a verticle torso throughout your swing?

Comment

Originally posted by hiddengem
            Are they saying that you should have a verticle torso at setup or a verticle torso throughout your swing?
            My duplication of what john is saying is try to stay vertical through the swing. I don't agree with this. I just thought this was interesting coming from someone that deals in physics. This was really the only area in this discussion that really surprised me.

EL,

Comment

Tilted

[QUOTE=tadlock11]

Unless I'm misunderstanding you - most MLB hitters that I've seen are tilted.

/QUOTE]

I agree!

Comment

Ask Mr. White to show us how to hit a pitch at the knees.

You think he would just stand there for strike one, strike two, strike three as he thinks........I can't get to that ball?
                Last edited by Ohfor; 03-11-2006, 08:20 PM.

Comment

I think this is a good example of how only considering part of what happens in the swing can lead you awry. Yes, you can probably rotate faster, but you either disconnect tremendously on anything other than a chest high fastball or you miss the ball.

A similar example to me is focusing on maximum body segment separation without regard to quickness.

Yet another... whatever other adjustments the slowpitch guys do to get more batspeed at the expense of quickness.

Comment

Torso

Originally posted by Ohfor
                    Ask Mr. White to show us how to hit a pitch at the knees.

You think he would just stand there for strike one, strike two, strike three?

I will be talking with Mr. White tomorrow to discuss his findings and his video. I will direct him to this site. I don't know if he will care to comment or exchange communication on this site. I think this would be good and I'm sure this would change his perception on hitting. I don't believe most are aware of how to hit the pitch at the knees. I know myself that I have learned a lot about the swing and the body from this site and others that ya'll have posted on. This blows me away at times! Thanks!

EL,

Comment

Originally posted by Erik
                      I will be talking with Mr. White tomorrow to discuss his findings and his video. I will direct him to this site. I don't know if he will care to comment or exchange communication on this site. I think this would be good and I'm sure this would change his perception on hitting. I don't believe most are aware of how to hit the pitch at the knees. I know myself that I have learned a lot about the swing and the body from this site and others that ya'll have posted on. This blows me away at times! Thanks!

EL,
                      Erik, Is that you typing this stuff? Don't worry, I said the same thing. Now for Mr.Buster.

Comment

There are a number of things MLB hitters COULD do to generate more bat speed.

The top Men's Majors SP hitters get as much as 120mph of bat speed. Obviously, no one in MLB is close - average is probably in the 90s, and top is around 100.

And the reason is that you have to sacrifice quickness in order to get the additional bat speed. Which doesn't work when you are hitting against MLB pitching.

That sacrifice is clearly not a factor against 24mph pitching in SP, but it is a factor in BB.

I know the Marshallites on eTeamZ wonk on about faster rotation resulting from a swing w/ a more vertical axis. Maybe it's true, I don't know. I've demonstrated my limitations w/ physics already.

But true or not, it's irrelevant. As Mark would say, a classic straw man argument. You could double rotational force AND bat speed, but if you don't consistently make contact (no matter where in the zone the pitch is), who cares? It's like a 1000 HP engine that doesn't connect to the drive train. Very impressive on the dynometer - WON'T win many races.

And in order to make consistent contact, the hitter HAS to be connected. Which of course, is impossible w/ a vertical torso.

Best regards,

Scott
                        Last edited by ssarge; 03-11-2006, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Tadlock:

Great graphics, and I love to see anything produced out of RVP. Use it myself, a lot.

Just so you know, you WILL soon get an eMail from Slaught or someone at RVP. RVP users are not allowed to reprint video / photos out of RVP if they feature any of the MLB or NPF clips sold by RVP. Part of the licensing agreement.

Comment

Originally posted by ssarge
                            Tadlock:

Great graphics, and I love to see anything produced out of RVP. Use it myself, a lot.

Just so you know, you WILL soon get an eMail from Slaught or someone at RVP. RVP users are not allowed to reprint video / photos out of RVP if they feature any of the MLB or NPF clips sold by RVP. Part of the licensing agreement.
                            ooops,
                            That was just a clip I had saved from somewhere (probably this forum :o ) and was the first I came across when trying to get a center field view of a hitter at contact.
                            I'll take it down now that I know this. Thanks for the Heads up.

Comment

Hello Erik,

Maintaining the posture through rotation is a setpro cue that I have found highly effective in the cage and live pitching based on ball flight. So...I don't know the relative speeds but as far as how far you can hit a ball , the spine angle is important.

I would point to Tiger Woods to,

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X