One of my students

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of my students

I've been working with this kid for about 4 months..Steve took a look at him and has helped out as well.

He is 6.
    Attached Files

Looks GREAT for a 6 year old! Could his front foot be a little more closed in the third still?

Keith

Comment

take note of the ball position. This arc is necessary as this little guy cannot react to a flat fast pitch well. His axis will tilt back to get a sense of getting on plane. They become back foot spinners at a young age as it is hard to transfer momentum upward.

The swing MUST be a work in progress. Many kids never advance beyond this as they must learn weight transfer as they go.

Also , It would serve little purpose with that arc to have the bat splitting the helmet.

Nice images....might give some more insight about how kids swings evolve and why they must change with the angle of the pitch over time. Hand set, bat position , and weight transfer must morph toward the MLB player as soon as possible in development

Comment

Originally posted by bigdaddy
        Looks GREAT for a 6 year old! Could his front foot be a little more closed in the third still?

Keith
        whell it depends if thats his foot at impact or after, at impact then yea it could, but its ok to turn it a little after his foot hits the ground,but the kid is 6 and thats just amazing.If he keeps it up,hes going places.

Comment

Nice pants.

His swing looks pretty good from what we can see of it. Add to that his Russell pants and he won't even need a $200 hi-tech bat to be a goot hitter.

Comment

Full treatment

Just like everyone else, this 6 yr old gets the full treatment.
            Mak.JPG

Picture
            1) good posture !
            2) do I see a little slotting (or is he adjusting to an inside pitch?)
            3) I really like his back foot, his top hand is palm up, shoulder angle (low toss?) and body alignment, he seems to be in balance
            4) Again I like the rear foot position

I will look forward to seeing more...........Good looking stuff in these stills!
            He looks good. Way to go Mackie.

LClifton
            Last edited by LClifton; 03-13-2006, 11:23 PM.

Comment

How big is he? Looks big for a 6 year old!

Now just let him have fun, he looks good at this point though.
              "Tip it and rip it" - In Memory of Dmac
              "Hit the inside seam" - In Memory of Swingbuster

Comment

Originally posted by kckid2599
                but the kid is 6 and thats just amazing.If he keeps it up,hes going places.
                Hopefully Steve will reply to this, and give his insight into what he thought of little Mackie.

Comment

Can't tell too much from still photos, but at 6, the biggest problem for the next 12+ years is going to be keeping coaches from screwing him up. (Seriously.)

Comment

Originally posted by jsiggy
                    Can't tell too much from still photos, but at 6, the biggest problem for the next 12+ years is going to be keeping coaches from screwing him up. (Seriously.)

Don't worry..his dad and I are the only ones that do anything with him. If it ever happens it will be in highschool and beyond.

Comment

Don't worry..his dad and I are the only ones that do anything with him. If it ever happens it will be in highschool and beyond.
                      All kidding aside, this is huge. He's a lucky one.

Best,

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by swingbuster
                        take note of the ball position. This arc is necessary as this little guy cannot react to a flat fast pitch well. His axis will tilt back to get a sense of getting on plane. They become back foot spinners at a young age as it is hard to transfer momentum upward.
                        Does Mike Epstein know you said this? Has he approved it? After all, you guys are in business together. Ever seen the clips on his site?

Back foot spinners.

And, are you clairvoyant? Do you read palms? Tell me how you know how this kid will react to that pitch?

Mayber the reason you can't post clips is you use stills..............and your clairvoyance.

Comment

Kid should be a good one. Swingbuster...Dixon...Englishbey DVD's.

Comment

Observations about this age group....

Take the still on the right and look at the lead elbow pointing up and bat barrel already below the hands. He is going to swing a very steep uppercut. He must as the ball is coming down steeply. It is coming down steeply because it must to be slow and still get from point A the pitcher to point B the batter. HR swings are 15-20 degree upper cut and he might go to 45 or more.

The swing is what it MUST BE to hit that pitch for this little guy. Sandman can predict the swing plane accurately if you want. It does keep him on his back side more and limit lead leg action
                            This is just a fact of baseball for that age group. I don't see the future Ohfer but I have spend much time in the past where that kid is now...enough to have some insight. .

Tell me how you know how this kid will react to that pitch?
                            Gee wizzz Ohfer..He is already reacting to that pitch. Get off the computer and go to some games besides your sons. These two stills show how he is reacting to that pitch. He is .15 seconds from launch or less on the left then he is on approach to the ball on the right.

We side toss these kids out front some to get them shifting weight( off the back side) and work on led arm extension connected to weight shift to balance the ingrained
                            " look up for the ball " that gets forced on them at this age. Kids will become 'dead front leg hitters"

It is important to know what goes on at each level to advance.

Anybody see any truth in any statement I have made? This is a test...

Anybody coach any little boys this age?? Ohfer??
                            Last edited by swingbuster; 03-14-2006, 06:11 AM.

Comment

I agree the adult pitcher should get down on a knee and flatten the pitch. What do you mean by "lead arm extension"?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X