One of my students

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swingbuster
    Gee wizzz Ohfer..He is already reacting to that pitch.
    Exactly. Does a good job of it. However, you seem to think it's a flaw when he's reacting to the given pitch.

And,......the the kid is 6.

You'll have to try better to be in the posse. Trying hard and trying good are two different things.

Comment

Never did I mention flaw....the kid is doing what he must do. As Mark politely ( as usual) pointed out ...the flaw is in the arc the ball was pitched. It is either a mistake or a necessary evil to slow it down

Comment

"lead arm extension"?
        I mean that some kids release the barrel / cast when the knob is about mid-body coming through. The top hand takes over and pushes and it is harder to lead / connect the bottom hand when the weight is forced to stay back as seen in loopy pitching

You see better extension when the barrel releases after the knob passes the lead pants pocket. The drill involves having them hit lower pitches out front to encourage weight shift to foot plant before negative tilting of the body

Kids need to be challenged to adjust to different settings and drills

The 6 yo does get the rear heel up in the last image

Comment

Extension is a dangerous word too close to disconnected to suit me. Do you know WHY the barrel "releases" and do you know why you want it to "release"/hook early rather than encouraging them to "hit the ball out front"?

Comment

I am sure not

Comment

Observations about this age group....

Take the still on the right and look at the lead elbow pointing up and bat barrel already below the hands. He is going to swing a very steep uppercut. He must as the ball is coming down steeply. It is coming down steeply because it must to be slow and still get from point A the pitcher to point B the batter. HR swings are 15-20 degree upper cut and he might go to 45 or more.

The swing is what it MUST BE to hit that pitch for this little guy. Sandman can predict the swing plane accurately if you want. It does keep him on his back side more and limit lead leg action
              This is just a fact of baseball for that age group. I don't see the future Ohfer but I have spend much time in the past where that kid is now...enough to have some insight. .

Gee wizzz Ohfer..He is already reacting to that pitch. Get off the computer and go to some games besides your sons. These two stills show how he is reacting to that pitch. He is .15 seconds from launch or less on the left then he is on approach to the ball on the right.

We side toss these kids out front some to get them shifting weight( off the back side) and work on led arm extension connected to weight shift to balance the ingrained
              " look up for the ball " that gets forced on them at this age. Kids will become 'dead front leg hitters"

It is important to know what goes on at each level to advance.

Anybody see any truth in any statement I have made? This is a test...

Anybody coach any little boys this age?? Ohfer??
              I agree with getting lead arm extension(hitting through the ball). And I too agree that coach pitch should be blown out of little league. A complete waiste of time, and it screws up far more kids than it ever helps.

Comment

What I'm saying right now might not sound like much, but why are we all so interested in producing kids that are factory perfect? Doesn't that spoil some of the fun of the game? Do you want to watch a game where all the players are nearly identical? We have machines for that. Uniqueness should not be prosecuted.

Besides, this kid is only 6 years old. Has anyone considered what he wants? I love this game and I love to play it; but when it is overly-analyzed like this, it really just takes away from what made this game so great in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by tfischer_10
                  What I'm saying right now might not sound like much, but why are we all so interested in producing kids that are factory perfect? Doesn't that spoil some of the fun of the game? Do you want to watch a game where all the players are nearly identical? We have machines for that. Uniqueness should not be prosecuted.

Besides, this kid is only 6 years old. Has anyone considered what he wants? I love this game and I love to play it; but when it is overly-analyzed like this, it really just takes away from what made this game so great in the first place.
                  Yea, you're right. What you are saying doesn't sound like much. Actually it doesn't make an sense at all. What you are saying is that we should continue to let kids wallow in mediocrity rather than to try and reach their potential? We should coninue to let kids be frustrated because the have never been taught what to do? This sounds like an awful lot of fun to me

Oh, and yes I've considered what this kid wants. What he wants is for me to stay in the cage for hours at a time, when I want to go home, eat and get some sleep.

Comment

We should coninue to let kids be frustrated because the have never been taught what to do? This sounds like an awful lot of fun to me
                    You entirely disregarded what else was stated. If that is what you truly believe, then you truly are ignorant.

Comment

I am sure not
                      As to why the hook happens/bathead releases it was demonstrated in Pauls sims and JBooths pvc apparatus. It's what the bathead wants to do if you leave your hands back and rotate. Encouraging a kid to hit the ball out can encourage disconnection, pushing and a delayed hook/bathead release. Better to get an early hook and let the ball come a little deeper, watch it longer and learn to be QUICK.

Comment

Originally posted by hiddengem
                        I agree with getting lead arm extension(hitting through the ball). .
                        It's a question of quickness vs batspeed-Bonds vs Griffey. I don't have any heartburn either way. What you DO need to realize is what some people think of when you say lead arm extension. The following clip is what probably a majority of little league dads and coaches out there think of when they hear you say "lead arm extension".

http://www.quickhands.net/pics.html

Comment

You entirely disregarded what else was stated. If that is what you truly believe, then you truly are ignorant.
                          What you said in other words, was that we shouldn't try to help every kid to swing the bat correctly because that takes some of the fun out of it. Yea, it takes the fun out of it for the kid that sucks and has NO fun because he wasn't taught the correct way to swing.

Ignorant...just wait until you hear the rest of the board rip you apart, then talk.

Comment

Then you shouldn't study how to swing efficiently. You should just go play. To me, what makes this game fun is turning left.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark H
                              It's a question of quickness vs batspeed-Bonds vs Griffey. I don't have any heartburn either way. What you DO need to realize is what some people think of when you say lead arm extension. The following clip is what probably a majority of little league dads and coaches out there think of when they hear you say "lead arm extension".

http://www.quickhands.net/pics.html
                              Actually that doesn't look anything like lead arm extension. That looks like rear arm extension.

Comment

That too. Whatever it may look like to you, I'm telling you the words "lead arm extension" are liable to produce nothing at all like you want if you aren't standing in front of the kid making sure. But then some dad watching and listening to you goes and teaches his whole little league team something like what you see in this clip. I try to choose verbiage with the least likely chance for misinterpretation.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X